Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
    It is not the truth.
    Hi there, I'm Rafael the guy who originally wrote this up on Within Windows. ([url=http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/02/12/daemon-tools-is-cataloging-all-your-disc-images-without-permission/]

Comment

Hi there, I'm Rafael the guy who originally wrote this up on Within Windows
      Hi) How are you? Great post, but sadly you got confused and misunderstood some details.
      "Selecting “Don’t allow MountSpace to use my mount statistics” here doesn’t actually turn off MountSpace."
      Go to preferences and see for yourself. there are 2 checkboxes. one is for sending stat, second is for showing panel in main window. Its different things.
      "You can find already sent/received cached data in %AppData%\DAEMON Tools Lite\ImageInfoCache."
      It's only received data and nothing else
      As it's mentioned here there are 2 files which can be opened by any text editor and you can see for yourself what info is being collected.
      Errare humanum est...

Comment

Originally Posted by artman View Post
        Hi) How are you? Great post, but sadly you got confused and misunderstood some details.
        "Selecting “Don’t allow MountSpace to use my mount statistics” here doesn’t actually turn off MountSpace."
        Go to preferences and see for yourself. there are 2 checkboxes. one is for sending stat, second is for showing panel in main window. Its different things.
        "You can find already sent/received cached data in %AppData%\DAEMON Tools Lite\ImageInfoCache."
        It's only received data and nothing else
        As it's mentioned here there are 2 files which can be opened by any text editor and you can see for yourself what info is being collected.
        Artman,

I posted more details but it appears the mods here edited my post. I will repeat them:

Fact: Daemon Tools does not have a valid EULA. It's truncated and does not contain the privacy policy that MountSpace says is there during install.

Fact: Regardless of the setting on the MountSpace dialog, data is transmitted. A ISO hash and IP address are transmitted to MountSpace. That means the ISO hash could be correlated to a user. As a user, I have no idea if they're storing/using this data because again -- the privacy policy does not exist.

Comment

@WithinRafael
          If the MountSpace bar and the anonymous statistics are disabled, then nothing at all gets sent to MountSpace.
          Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
          Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
            @WithinRafael
            If the MountSpace bar and the anonymous statistics are disabled, then nothing at all gets sent to MountSpace.
            Yes, that's correct -- a user will have to know to turn off the panel as well. And we're still unsure what MountSpace does with my IP/ISO hash. This should all be documented in the privacy policy, not in the forums

Comment

@WithinRafael

Image hash is being generated based on an image file itself. For example if you and I have the same image file, our image hashes will be equal.
              This hash is sent just to get information about your image and show it to you in MountSpace panel.

Mountspace though has to determine unique users to get correct statistics. There is an ID value in registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DT Soft\DAEMON Tools Pro(Lite)\MountSpace. I can assure you that this ID is randomly generated on server without any algorithms that include your personal information..
              So there is no way to identify you.
              Errare humanum est...

Comment

Originally Posted by artman View Post
                @WithinRafael

Image hash is being generated based on an image file itself. For example if you and I have the same image file, our image hashes will be equal.
                This hash is sent just to get information about your image and show it to you in MountSpace panel.

Mountspace though has to determine unique users to get correct statistics. There is an ID value in registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DT Soft\DAEMON Tools Pro(Lite)\MountSpace. I can assure you that this ID is randomly generated on server without any algorithms that include your personal information..
                So there is no way to identify you.
                Servers logs could easily contain the hash/IP I submitted. Again, they may say they don't store this data, but we have no way to verify this. There's nothing in the privacy policy. Understand?

Comment

@WithinRafael

I'm sure that privacy policy will be created asap)
                  do you think google or facebook aren't saving your IPs?)) they have have all your secrets comparing to image filename )
                  Errare humanum est...

Comment

It doesn´t matter what other companies do. That can´t be used as an argument that the possibility of storing data isn´t that bad.

Comment

As I already said we DO NOT store IP addresses or any other information which can be used to identify you.
                      Moreover, we DO NOT want you to have any problems because of DAEMON Tools & MountSpace. Do you really think it is profitable for us??? Security is one of the main requirements to MountSpace service.

MountSpace usage (sending statistics and getting info from MountSpace.com) is absolutely optional. If you thus don't trust us, just disable appropriate options in your DAEMON Tools program. That's all!

We work on creating the most convenient and useful service for you. So we appreciate any constructive feedback.

P.S. Encrypting of requests to MountSpace.com will be implemented in the nearest time.

Comment

Hi all!

MountSpace.com has been updated today
                        Now widget and MountSpace server interact via SSL. So there is no possibility to intercept data sent from/to a user.

Comment

Quote: "MountSpace usage (sending statistics and getting info from MountSpace.com) is absolutely optional. If you thus don't trust us, just disable appropriate options in your DAEMON Tools program. That's all!"

Could you please explain exactly to disable these options? I thought I had disabled it but immediately upon launch my firewall detects DT trying to make a connection. I shouldn't have to block it with a firewall.

Comment

DT might be trying to make a license check on start. Are you sure it tried to connect to MountSpace?

Comment

If possible, please remove this service in a paid version of daemon tools. Thanks in advance.

Comment

@Mind
                                I can't act as a spokesman for the devs; just asking: you are aware you can completely
                                deactivate all Mountspace functions in Preferences/Media info tab at point 1 and 3 ?
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences-8.png
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	193509
                                Last edited by Terramex; 06.12.2012, 11:00.
                                I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Working...
                                X