No announcement yet.

DAEMON Tools Lite download is a virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAEMON Tools Lite download is a virus?

So, I went to download this program tonight - a friend of mine used to use it years ago and said it was awesome - and as I'm downloading, ESET gives me a warning to let me know it's a potential threat and a virus. It shows this as something called Win32/DownWare.L. I told ESET to disconnect the download.

Care to explain? After seeing multiple threads here about this software containing spyware and malware, I'm really iffy on this.

Indeed, there is a malware!

...after a zillion re-captchas I made up to join this forum

Actually there IS a virus within the Free version. There is a "iStartSurf" that is installed together with Daemon Tools Free. During the instalation you are induced to click in a button that installs the "iStartSurt" stuff in your computer. The bad thing is that you cannot get rid of it easily. It changes the shortcuts of Chrome, IE and Firefox. Then it installs background process that won't let you close it.

Take a look at these alternatives, I think it's worth to try
    DAEMON Tools Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net

Originally Posted by TeknoG View Post
    So, I went to download this program tonight - a friend of mine used to use it years ago and said it was awesome - and as I'm downloading, ESET gives me a warning to let me know it's a potential threat and a virus. It shows this as something called Win32/DownWare.L. I told ESET to disconnect the download.

Care to explain? After seeing multiple threads here about this software containing spyware and malware, I'm really iffy on this.

Comment

Why are you denying the fact that what you are doing is harmful? I used Daemon tools as long as i can remember. Now I ask myself: Would decent persons knowingly put malware/adware in their products? NO! Im gonna do as much as possible to get people to stay away from your products!!!

Comment

No doubt, this is a controversial topic. But "Malware" ? I beg to differ.

If some recommendation gets installed without your consent, please report it to the support team as described here: http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f33/ope...ation-s-34738/

On that subject an (IMO) objective article worth reading: Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software
        I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

I had to register simply to join the voices here and express my disgust on this trick. The malware was installed on my system as part of the install and yes I did select to remove any other add-ons.
          There is no excuse for this software to be packaged with what used to be an excellent product.

Please be assured Daemon, this has cost you money and I for one will be moving to a competitor’s product.

Comment

Working...
          X