Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Problems with 48x burning

yup... and as I said, I'm using TDK's reference media - have tried with cheapest discount media as well, cannot be that, I guess... Or let's say it can't be the media, it's possible that SmartBurn's f*cked up...

...just checked, DMA mode 2 activated automatically by OS. By the way, the burner's jumpered as slave although there's no master, but that shouldn't make a difference in this case, should it?
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Well, disable SMART-BURN and try again ... since the 32x drives buffer underrun protection is always enabled, so donґt worry
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

oh, cool to know - i will...

Hmm...

this is all very, very mysterious...

I burned Aquanox 2 CD2 with BURN-Free deactivated, and it burned the ~45min without pause. Fine.

Then I took a big image (Max Payne, 80min);
    INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
    burned it with BURN-Free activated, yet it burned without pause.

After that I was confused, but thought it might be the copy protection - SafeDisc 2 is burned without problems, SecuROM not (Subchannel Data!)?

So I tried Aquanox 2 CD1 (again only simulated) which is about 70min long, again with BURN-Free activated - still no problems.

I have not changed anything, haven't even rebooted since the last tests (today in the morning);
    yet it seems to work again after I had disabled BURN-Free only once.

You see me very confused. I'll try it with DiscJuggler too (which always seemed to be more irritable concerning those problems) and report later, but so far it looks like the problem's solved. I don't get it. :?

Thanks for your help, looks like your idea did the trick, Copytrooper - although I bet you didn't think of it as a repair method. :mrgreen:

Although this might be slightly off-topic, I gotta say I love this forum, and I am really proud to have the great honor of being a moderator here. You guys are great, all of you! *applause*

Sergei

Thanks for your help, looks like your idea did the trick, Copytrooper - although I bet you didn't think of it as a repair method.
    I thought about it as evaluation method, ґcause SMART-BRUN off will disable the media check, so the drive will write with maximum speed even if the media is somehow bad - so if SMART-BURN would cause trouble this should give some info whether it does or not, and if DMA really works, ґcause drive would write slower, if DMA wouldnґt work (thatґs the problem with Win2k/XP btw -> setting is "DMA if possible" only, so you donґt know really if OS thinks itґs not possible).

Right below that "DMA if possible" setting there's a line which tells about the current state - and it said "Ultra-DMA Mode 2".

I know that you meant it as an evaluation method, but it seems as if evaluating once solved the whole problem - it didn't appear afterwards even with the troublesome BURN-Free option activated. That's what I meant with what you quoted

Sergei

SHIT!

It's back again... I tried burning SimCity 4 (SafeDisc profile);
    and it paused when it reached about 30x speed and then cont'ed with 20x until it was finished. No matter whether I en- or disabled Enable Buffer Underrun Free Technology in the burning wizard or Turn off Auto-Select Best Write Speed in Recording options.

ARGH... :cry: can't this damned computer just work fine once?

sG

Try to set to PIO4, reboot, set back to DMA, reboot -> check ...

Did what you told me, 'trooper, simulated SimCity 4 #1, no problems.

But apart from that, I got a suspicion that the Windows NT/2000/XP ATAPI/SCSI Control Interface makes problems, I'll investigate further and keep you updated.

Thanks for your help so far

sG

Default Devices Control Interface settings

Well... *cough*

I'd had problems, when I tried to burn with the Windows NT/2000/... Interface. No problems after I did what 'trooper said and chose Default... Interface. So I chose Windows... Interface again, had problems, back to Default..., no problems again.

Yeah. Looked fine.
    Then I wanted to make a test run with all Interfaces, opened this forum, started Alc and went on... Suddenly I had no problems anymore with any interface. Weird.

Well, there was yet another problem I had with the Windows... Interface: When clicking Image making wizard, choosing an image and clicking on next, it took ages (i.e. 10-15 seconds) until the screen was completely built up, and it read on the HDD like crazy. Then I could go on like nothing had happened. Those problems vanished when I selected the Default... Interface. And when I wanted to make this testing run, they also vanished from the Windows... Interface, just as the burning problems.

I can't really make anything of this, but if I observe any other weird things in the next days, I'll keep you posted.

sG

P.S.: maybe it's just that my PC is a character computer and I'm incompatible - who knows... :wink:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast