Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read operation had hit a bad (unrecoverable) block (abcde)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read operation had hit a bad (unrecoverable) block (abcde)

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought some English-Bulgarian computer dictionaries. Let's call them 1, 2, 3 and 4. I have also bought some computer programs to learn MS Windows and Internet, MS Word and MS Excel with by myself. Let's call them 5, 6 and 7. I have a paid license of Daemon Tools Ultra and I used its latest version in order to back up the above-mentioned software. Unfortunately I was not able to back up 1, 2, 3 and 4 because the imaging process has always been failed and Read operation had hit a bad (unrecoverable) block (abcde) where abcde stands for the name of the relevant block has always been written as an explanation for the failure. I would like to attach Protection ID Log Windows and Protection Reports for 1, 2, 3 and 4.
    So here we go: 1_Log Window + 1_Protection Report, 2_Log Window + 2_Protection Report is empty, 3_Log Window + 3_Protection Report is empty, 4_Log Window + 4_Protection Report is empty.
    I tried the following combinations:
    1/ Format ISO + Speed 4x which is my lowest reading speed
    2/ Format ISO + Speed 4x + Ignore bad blocks + Skip bad blocks
    3/ Format ISO + Speed 4x + Ignore bad blocks + Add bad blocks
    but all of them ended with Read operation had hit a bad (unrecoverable) block (abcde) message.
    I would like to ask you what is the reason for the above-mentioned error since the discs are brand new and also what format and profile am I supposed to use in order to fix it and back up 1, 2, 3 and 4 taking into account their Protection ID Log Windows and Protection Reports ?
    I would also like to attach Protection ID Log Windows and Protection Reports for 5, 6 and 7.
    Here they are: 5_Log Window + 5_Protection Report, 6_Log Window + 6_Protection Report and 7_Log Window + 7_Protection Report. They also seems to have no protection like 1, 2, 3 and 4.
    I didn't try to backup 5, 6 and 7 because I was disappointed about the result I had with 1, 2, 3 and 4.
    The question remains the same and it is what format and profile am I supposed to use in order to back up 5, 6 and 7 taking into account their Protection ID Log Windows and Protection Reports ?

I would like to request a MODERATOR to answer my questions !

Thanks in advance for your attention !

I will post new links because old ones don't work anymore. So here I go again:
    1_Log Window + 1_Protection Report
    2_Log Window + 2_Protection Report is empty
    3_Log Window + 3_Protection Report is empty
    4_Log Window + 4_Protection Report is empty
    5_Log Window + 5_Protection Report
    6_Log Window + 6_Protection Report
    7_Log Window + 7_Protection Report

Comment

Originally Posted by b_n3gativ3 View Post
      I will post new links because old ones don't work anymore. So here I go again:

Just click on FREE USER twice !

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, was on vacation.

When you open Tools/Grab a disc, does it say "Finalized disc" on the left ? What's the file system ?
        Have you tried Safedisc and Old SecuROM profiles ?
        Can you simply drag&drop the whole content in Explorer and then use the Create a Data Image wizard to build a working image ?

As the forum provides more of an additional/secondary user-to-user support please always also contact
        the official support team with reference to your thread.
        I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Hello Terramex,

On the left it says:
          Finalized disc
          CD-ROM (size)
          ISO 9660 + Joliet
          This is for 1, 2 and 3. 4 is absolutely the same except for the fact that it says ISO 9660 only without Joliet.
          The file system of 1, 2, 3 and 4 is CDFS. Now I want to focus on 1, 2, 3 and 4 and leave 5, 6 and 7 aside because 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the discs I get this error message on. When I try to back them up using Old SecuROM profile the imaging process fails and Read operation had hit a bad (unrecoverable) block (abcde) where abcde stands for the name of the relevant block is written as an explanation for the failure. When I try to back up 1 for example using Safe Disc profile (I am talking about 1 only because the same happens with 2, 3 and 4 but on different sector) as soon as the imaging process reaches the 183385th sector where 233622 is their total number I start getting Read operation had hit a ECC/EDC bad (recoverable) block (abcde) where abcde stands for the name of the relevant block. I want to highlight that the imaging process does not stop like before but it continues but with this error which pops on every sector after the 183385th one. The time gap between the 183385th one and the 183386th one is 6 seconds in spite of setting Number of retries on bad block hit to 0. So if we do the math and assume that I will continue getting this error till the end of the imaging process:
          233622 - 183385 = 50237 sectors till the end of the imaging process; 50237*6 seconds time gap between them = 301422 seconds till the end of the imaging process = 301422/3600 ~ 84 hours till the end of the imaging process = 84/24 = 3.5 days till the end of the imaging process which is hell of a lot of time. On 1 this error pops out approximately at the end of the disc but on 2 or 3 it pops out at the beginning and I calculated in the same way as I described above that I will need 8 days or more to back it up... When I try to drag and drop the content of the disc to Explorer the copying process freezes 100 or something MB before the end and I think that it freezes exactly at the 183385th sector simply because it cannot handle with the protection whichever it is - the same must be the reason why the imaging process fails with Old SecuROM profile.
          Any suggestions ?

Last edited by Terramex; 19.02.2016, 19:56. Reason: Removed full quote

Comment

Unfortunately DAEMON Tools does not offer a 'Advanced Sector scanning' feature.
            Therefore in this very case i suggest to use the portable Alcohol version i attached in this post:

Ignore the error message when starting Alcohol -if any- and use the 'Image Making Wizard' to create a MDS image
            of your discs using the Laserlock datatype - if that's still too slow try the Ringprotech datatype.
            I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Hello again Terramex,

Yesterday night I tried the Alcohol 52% program that you gave me and I can say that the Laserlock datatype is even slower than Daemon Tools Ultra simply because the time gap between subsequent bad sectors varies between 6 and 11 seconds. I did not even wait until the end of the imaging process and stopped it. However RingPROTECH datatype is freaking fast - the time that I had to wait for the image file to be prepared varied between 13.5 and 15 minutes at a speed of 1X. The newly created *.MDS/*.ISO image files work great - I managed to install the dictionary from them without any problems and heard the pronunciations when the image file was mounted. I found out something very important namely that the bad sector range for disc 1 is not from the 183385th to the 233622th sector like I wrote above but from the 183385th one to 188392th one which means that If I create the image file in Daemon Tools Ultra I will have to wait a couple of hours not some days:
              Disc 1 => Advanced Sector Scanning finished, Bad Sector Range : Start - 183385, End - 188392 =>
              (188392-183385)*6/3600 = 8 hours and 21 minutes
              Disc 2 => Advanced Sector Scanning finished, Bad Sector Range : Start - 95908, End - 100915 =>
              (100915-95908)*6/3600 = 8 hours and 21 minutes
              Disc 3 => Advanced Sector Scanning finished, Bad Sector Range : Start - 96413, End - 100420 =>
              (100420-96413)*6/3600 = 6 hours and 41 minutes
              Disc 4 => Advanced Sector Scanning finished, Bad Sector Range : Start - 111860, End - 118867 =>
              (118867-111860)*6/3600 = 11 hours and 41 minutes
              Although this is a lot of time I want to know which profile in Daemon Tools Ultra is equivalent or almost equivalent to RingPROTECH/RingPROTECH+ datatype in Alcohol and also when I select it do I have to modify Number of retries on bad block hit and Ignore bad blocks => Skip bad blocks/Add bad blocks fields and If yes how to modify them ?
              What Format/Profile do I have to select in Daemon Tools Ultra according to the Protection ID Log Windows and Protection Reports for 5, 6 and 7 to back them up successfully ?

Last edited by Terramex; 19.02.2016, 19:57. Reason: Removed full quote

Comment

Originally Posted by b_n3gativ3 View Post
                Although this is a lot of time I want to know which profile in Daemon Tools Ultra is equivalent or almost equivalent to RingPROTECH/RingPROTECH+ datatype in Alcohol...
                None, i'm sorry. No DT product has advanced sector scanning capabilities, and only a developer or support can tell if this might change in future releases.
                I can't say no more than this - glad you got working images now.

Comment

Hello again Terramex,

What about SafeDisc - isn't it the Daemon Tools alternative for Fast Skip Error Blocks option in Alcohol ? Isn't Advanced Sector Scanning in Alcohol just a helpful feature that tells you where the bad sector range starts and ends or it also aids Fast Skip Error Blocks option ?
                  Before I post this thread I read this one especially Qwynbleid and your posts that is why I got the impression that SafeDisc is Daemon Tools alternative for Fast Skip Error Blocks option in Alcohol...
                  If it is so when I select it do I have to modify Number of retries on bad block hit and Ignore bad blocks => Skip bad blocks/Add bad blocks fields and If yes how to modify them ?
                  What about 5, 6 and 7 ?

Last edited by Terramex; 19.02.2016, 19:58. Reason: Removed full quote

Comment

Datatypes with A.S.S. have a jump factor (Laserlock 100, Ringprotech 500), which can also be set manually in the Alcohol datatype settings,
                    and they have a value after how many consecutive defective sectors the jumps are executed.
                    For example after you hit 8 defective sectors in a row the read engine skips 500 sectors and continous to read normally.
                    I don't know whether or not the engine is clever enough to go back after it hit the next good sector and automatically performs a smaller jump.
                    Anyway, A.S.S. is the main factor to speed up the process of skipping contiguous bad areas (Safedisc bad sectors are not contiguous),
                    and DAEMON Tools products don't have that feature.
                    Please direct further questions to the support team as i really can't tell you more than that.

Comment

OK mate, I understood everything you told me and I appreciate it. Could you please help me out with 5, 6 and 7 ? What Format/Profile do I have to select in Daemon Tools Ultra according to their Protection ID Log Windows and Protection Reports to back them up successfully ?

Last edited by Terramex; 19.02.2016, 19:59. Reason: Removed full quote

Comment

What profiles have you tried yet ?

btw. your links are broken again, why don't you just attach the txt files to your post ?

Comment

No, they are not. Try these. To be honest I have not tried any Formats/Profiles yet simply because I cannot understand what are their protections according to what is written in their Protection ID Log Windows and Protection Reports. That is why I am asking you to help me out.

Last edited by Terramex; 19.02.2016, 20:00.

Comment

As they seem to be unprotected you can use virtually any profile.
                            I would first try the simple 'Data disc' profile.
                            I once told you: as long as an image works everything is all right.
                            Last edited by Terramex; 18.02.2016, 08:11.

Comment

Hello again Terramex,

I tried the *.ISO format and when I started the program it first showed me the following error message Please insert the original CD but as soon as I changed Run this program in campatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2) simply because these three programs - 5, 6 and 7 are designed for Windows XP it worked like a charm. I would like to thank you for everything you have done for me and close this thread with one last question which is when it comes to backing up unprotected software which way of doing so must be considered for more correct than the other:
                              1/ *.ISO format or
                              2/ *.MDS/*.MDX format + Data Disc profile or
                              3/ both of them are equally correct

Last edited by Terramex; 19.02.2016, 20:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X