Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: One really screwed uninstallation

New User

Default One really screwed uninstallation

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    Burning Software: CloneCD 3.3.4.1, CD Mate Deluxe Version 2.5.4 Build 17, Nero 5.5.9.9
    Anti-virus Software: McAfee Professional 7.03
    DAEMON Tools Version: DAEMON Tools 3.47

Hello,

I have a major problem. After installing the Sims 2, it recognized the Daemon Tools emulation and refused to start, so I uninstalled D-Tools. The problem is, I had changed the letter of some drives, so as to have a virtual drive with the letter E. I think that, because of this, when I uninstalled D-Tools, Windows refused to dismount the drive E.

Now, the problem is, whenever I try to re-install D-Tools, Windows crashes and tells me it recovered from a major error. I've already tried the solutions in the forum to manually uninstall D-Tools, and I've already changed the drive letter to G, AND uninstaled it, but it's still there, and the setup keeps crashing windows.

The solution seems to be installing D-tools and then removing the virtual drive with it... Ironic, isn't it?

Can you help me in some way?

Experienced User

You can remove the virtual drive manually by editing the registry - but if you're not sure how to don't even try without backing up the complete registry first!

A more beginner-friendly solution can be found at the common problems and solutions section, follow the steps for removing daemon tools completely EXACTLY - I tested those instructions on three different computers and every time they worked.

New User

I already deleted the entries from the registry AND followed the other instructions exactly.

The problem is, every time I try to install D-Tools, the virtual drive reappears, which causes Windows to crash.

Experienced User

Have you tried other virtual drive programs?
    If the phantom drive is still there then you haven't removed Daemon completely, try the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES = 1 trick and look under "non-plug and play devices".

Also, please post the exact error message you get when Windows crashes, disable the automatic reboot so you can see the BSOD.

Check if you've minidump related to such crash (in Windows\Minidump folder), if so send newest file to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

New User

Copytrooper: I sent the e-mail with the minidump.

JariK: Do me a favor. Talk to me like I'm four years old. :mrgreen:
    What's the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES = 1 trick, how do I disable the automatic reboot and what's BSOD? :oops: