• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the best burner?

I was wondering if this model is a good burner for making 1:1 back-ups,
    48X/12X/48X CD-RW DRIVE LTR-48246S

Lite-on Black 48x24x48x IDE CD-Rewriter with Nero 5 Software, OEM
    ONLY $56

I am looking at it on ebay because im looking for a black faced burner. If anyone could help i would greatly appriciate it. Thank You!!!!

well, i have a 40125S 40x12x48x. I compared features, and they are similar. So therefore I would recommend this burner. I haven't had a problem burning anything that is burnable so far.

but of course, some people are going to suggest plextor :lol:

Comment

I have Lite-On LTR - 52246S and thing is perfect model for writing. What about Plextor?, i read that drives on hi-Speed(16x, 24x and more) not correct write CD (about Correct EFM-Encoding);
      DATAs writes correctly. But Plextor is good drive, and you need more money if you want it.

-----
      with Respect...

Comment

I have a Lite-On LTR40125W upgraded to 48125W (by flashing the firmware);
        hasn't let me down once when it comes to copying protected discs... (ok, i didn't try starforce )

sG
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

What exactly does the end letter of the liteon burner denote (S/W)? Colour?

Comment

*g* I don't think it's the color, Andareed. When Alcohol's DPM was first released, it worked with a 40125S but not with a 40125W. Or so they said.

In addition, when I flashed my burner's firmware from 40125W (40x) to 48125W (48x);
            I always read that it does NOT work for the 'S' series, only for the 'W' series. I don't know how much of that is true though.

sG
            "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

All the specs on liteon's apply to both 40125W and 40125S. I cannot see any difference.

Comment

The only difference between W and S drives is the flash rom. You can flash the W firmware in S drives and the S firmware in W drives.
                Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

So is S better than W (or vice versa)? Why do two types even exist?

Comment

No, why would a drive be better, just because thereґs a different flash rom built in? I donґt know why LiteOn releases the drives with different names and even release different firmware - they just could flash and name the drive 40125 (i.e. without additional letter) regardless which flash rom is used.

Comment

I'm not sure, but afair it has something to do with their factorys, where W stands for Taiwan, S for China, but it's possible this is totally crap :mrgreen:

Comment

My info is that W drives have Winbond flash roms, S drives have ST flash roms - but either way, itґs simply plain stupid to flash different firmwares (espacially in the beginning, with one drive Z-CLV, the other P-CAV).

Comment

OK, well thanks for the info

Comment

Plextor's cool

ok, next: For imaging purposes a plextor is very good, also an old one (eg of 2000). It eats simply everything (i haven't said "burning" 8) )!

---
                            Cool topic: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/viewtopic.php?t=2212
                            The Boardzombie's website.

Comment

OK.. back to the original topic.

In the Alcohol-forum there are more topics like this. What I've been reading there is that the LiteOn 52327s is working fine with most protections. I have the Sony CRX-220 (same as the LiteOn 52246s) but it can't burn 3-sheep (2-sheep it can).

The LiteOn 52327s is a very good burner for a low price (about 35 euro in NL)

To try what protection your burner can burn: http://forum.alcohol-software.com/in...showtopic=2196
                              8) Lintworm a.k.a. Michel Maasdijk 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X