Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: How about a feature to mount RAR of ZIP archives as a CD?

New User

Default How about a feature to mount RAR and ZIP archives as a CD?

%subj%

Can be really-really useful, while somewhat slow.
    Last edited by rgreat : 18.07.2006 at 20:16

I don't really get point of it, just extract files and u get same thing, and this program is for mounting CD/DVD images!

but would be great if u supplied example of it's usefulness to mount rar/zip file, i got very much problem see point in it
    On first day god created universe...on last day humans will destroy it!

New User

Point is: RAR/ZIP archive can take much less disk space then ISO file.

But, i can't run archived Delphi 7 installation CD (for example) directly from archive, i need to unpack it to temporally dir first.

So, this feature will save alot of disk space and user time.

If you can also add write capablity, then it will be also nice (?or best in production?) virtual archived storage drives.
    But i'm not requesting that,.. yet.

Experienced User

How about getting a 160GB drive for <100 euros?
    Enough room for 200+ uncompressed CDs.

New User

How about you delete your winzip if you are so clever?
    Huh?

I hope we will talk about possible new D-T feature, and not about how me spend my money...

P.S. I have 7x250Gb+2x120Gb harddrives in my home computer.
    And i _still_ forced to clear up disk space.
    Its simple. You can pay for extra hardware or you can archive data.
    More data you archived - less you pay (and less problems you have with hardware).

rgreat hmm didn't think of that possibility, it's very good idea!

but it's very, if not imposible to add such function, since zip/rar file is compressed, a iso isn't compressed in same way, only way can think of is to instead of extracting files to disk then u need extract them to memory wich would take alot of memory for big files!

RAR -> Extract to driver -> run file from driver

but as your idea it would only work if did it:

RAR -> extract to memory -> run file from memory

so 200mb file would require 200mb of free memory, and i assume u talking about alot bigger files in this case!

it would work but require to much memory and go alot slower, since compression ratio on rar archive is alot better than iso!

New User

How do you think, if its possible to extract not entrie file, but parts of it, as needed?

I think it CAN be possible... not sure though.

Or one can use streaming extraction... e.g.: while extraction module extracts next sections of file driver write to disk and frees memory for previous sections.

There was C examples of RAR disarchiver somewhere, as i remember.

my explanation was for solid archives, but i guess i say as authors always say. make plugin :P

Default Uncompressed RAR support

Hello,

I was thinking that it would be nice if Daemon tools could mount a splitted, uncompressed, RAR archive which contains a cd-image.

It's not unusual to find cd-images which are stored that way: file.rar, file.r00, file.r01, file.r02 etc

As a coincident I implemented a library to create splitted, uncompressed RAR archives just a few weeks ago. It would be quite easy for me to implement a library that would handle a set of rar files through it's API as one big file (just like the uncompressed BIN file).

Is the source code or possibly a SDK available to implement plugins for DAEMON tools. Maybe I should contact the author and give him the lib directly

Cheers
    /hubbelyo

It's not unusual to find cd-images which are stored that way: file.rar, file.r00, file.r01, file.r02 etc
    if that's not unusual, please give me some examples!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast