Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Using the analog stick for true analog movement (not just 8-direction movement)

Quote Originally Posted by Find View Post
    That is great news. I'm very much looking forward to having that much control over my movement speed. Do you think the update will also allow allow omnidirectional movement? As in, the ability to move in more than just 8 directions?
    Hm, what are you going to map to the additional directions? The game itself has only 4 keyboard keys to move. We emulate them + the pairs (like W+D), and you can adjust the zone in which your stick behaves as "W" or "D" only and when it turns to "W+D". Of course, the native stick behavior is smoother, but only mouse movements that are analog too work similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Find View Post
    Thank you, that is a very good suggestion. I think I'm just going to stick with regular keyboard for now though, at least until these "pulsation" updates are released, since I haven't invested in an xbox elite controller yet. I've just been researching this idea to see if it could work, and reWASD seems like it's got great potential once these updates come out. Do you plan on sending out an email or some kind of notification when these updates happen? I'd be happy to be notified.
    We send emails to all paid customers who are willing to get the news from us. Also, I will be happy to send you a message here, on the forum, once we are ready to deliver the update should we add your email to our base?

New User

Quote Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
    Hm, what are you going to map to the additional directions? The game itself has only 4 keyboard keys to move. We emulate them + the pairs (like W+D), and you can adjust the zone in which your stick behaves as "W" or "D" only and when it turns to "W+D". Of course, the native stick behavior is smoother, but only mouse movements that are analog too work similar.
    I'm not asking you to create more "zones", what I'm suggesting is that you add a second option for mapping the analog stick where, rather than having any zones at all, it simply emulates true analog stick movement by allowing movement in any direction. I think this would be possible using a digital signal processing technique called "pulse width modulation". Forgive me if you're already familiar with what this is, but I'll explain it: a digital signal can be sent in pulses that have a particular frequency and a particular "duty cycle". The frequency is how often the pulse is repeated, and the duty cycle is what percentage of the time the pulse is high. Pulse width modulation is a technique in which you control the duty cycle of a signal, in order to change its average value. This creates a signal that is technically digital, but behaves as if it were analog. Check out this graphic:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse-Width-Modulation.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1873
    As an example, the above signal could represent the W key that reWASD sends the computer as the analog stick of the controller is tilted further and further forward. When the stick is at rest, you'd have 0% duty cycle. When it's pushed forward a quarter of the way, you'd have 25% duty cycle, etc. So that's how you could use PWM to control speed, if that's not what you're already planning with your "pulsation" update.

As for controlling direction to allow movement in any direction, I'll explain how you could do this using only the WASD keys and PWM through another example: imagine that the analog stick's current position is x=+40%,y=-10%. In this case, reWASD could output the D key (for positive X direction movement) at a duty cycle of 40% and output the S key (for negative Y direction movement) at a duty cycle of 10%. This would (in theory) cause the overall direction of movement to be the exact same as if the controller's analog stick itself was sampled by the computer. And yet we got there by only using the WASD keys. Does all that make sense? Let me know if it doesn't, I'm not sure if I explained my idea very clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
    We send emails to all paid customers who are willing to get the news from us. Also, I will be happy to send you a message here, on the forum, once we are ready to deliver the update should we add your email to our base?
    Yes, please. I'll pm you my email. Thanks!

Thank you very much for the explanation. Yes, we thought about something like this and I will certainly let you know once we are ready to release it.

New User

No problem. Awesome, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12