Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSI and IDE Drive creation does not work if Retpoline Spectre mitigation is enabled.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI and IDE Drive creation does not work if Retpoline Spectre mitigation is enabled.

As per the title, if the Windows Retpoline method of mitigating Spectre is enabled, DT cannot mount SCSI or IDE drives. It gives the "insufficient resources to create target connection" error. The Retpoline mitigation is described here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ws/ba-p/295618

The mitigation is purely optional at present, but it does sound as if Microsoft are planning to enable it automatically at some point.

Hello,
    Which version of the Windows do you use? Please updated to 1809 to resolve the issue.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

It is 1809.

As I described, the problem only seems to occur if the Retpoline Spectre mitigation (which is only available on fully patched versions of 1809 and insider builds) is enabled as explained in the link. Daemon Tools works fine with the default system configuration, but breaks if the Retpoline mitigation is enabled.

I'm not really requesting help, I'm letting you know about this as eventually Microsoft will enable Retpoline remotely, and unless something changes it will break DT on more systems. This may only affect systems with CPUs older than Skylake.
      Last edited by silanda; 01.04.2019, 13:36.

Comment

Hello,
        Thank you for the feedback.

The next window update will block SPTD working completely as has lots of changing in core architecture that totally incompatible with the driver. But we appreciate this information it will help us to study the problem with versions up to 1903.
        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Working...
        X