Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing LongHorn From Mounted Image??? Possible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing LongHorn From Mounted Image??? Possible??

Is it possible to install longhorn from a mounted image so i dont have to burn it to a dvd?

Any os for that matter I have some copies of my original xp cd but the cd is nowhere to be found and i dont feel like going to walmart tonight : /

longhorn????????

I dont think ure gonna be finding longhorn in Walmart anytime soon...

And if you really must know, no, you cannot install "longhorn" from daemon tools. At least I think so...
    Failure is the mother of success.

Comment

i mean can i mount an image of an os and install it that way?

Comment

in most cases it won't, because after installing some basic data there is often a reset, booting the new system. at least now, the virtual device gone.

Comment

Many pc-magazines/registered developers do have a preview longhorn release for themselves. For those who can't wait for the next great DRM operating system from Microsoft - which controls media content not only for the lazy people :wink: - an official Avalon preview (next windows rendering engine) is availabe at Microsoft...
          The Boardzombie's website.

Comment

Why?

Why would you want to install TCPA on your computer? :?

:twisted: http://www.againsttcpa.com/ :twisted:

Anyway, I saw Alphas of longhorn nearly two years ago. Even the first which was basically XP with an analog clock and some other dumb features.

OK, ok to your question. you could start the install, but like another poster said, after the reboot the fledgling install would be looking for the disc. However, though I wouldnt know how, I suppose you could install the SCSI driver somehow as part of the OS setup (edit the setup batch, and provide it with the driver), and use command line to automount the volume. I'm sure that would take a bit of research, and time to figure out, and refine. But probably not impossible.

:idea: I suggest, dig out your XP disc, or fork over the 18 cents for a blank CDR. :mrgreen:
            John M Browning-designer 1911 .45,B.High Power,Winchester 30-30,Winchester Pump ,B.Auto-5,BAR,B. .50

Comment

IIRC, it could be possible.

W2K installed itself by copying everything to disc, and then run from there.
              It was an awfull thing with Win9x having rebooted and it couldnt find the CD-drive....

I dont know, but i believe XP uses the same installer, why not Longhorn ?

chances are 50/50, though.

Good luck, and tell me.

Comment

Re: Why?

Originally Posted by Colt.1911
                Why would you want to install TCPA on your computer? :?
                Many planned aspects won't make it into the Longhorn release, such as the new Windows File System and apparently Palladium. Instead, Microsoft will include several DRM technologies (hence my allusion concerning the media control), but not Palladium in the former manner.

Comment

Off Topic:

With companies onboard like HP, IBM, Intel, ect, ect Trusted computing isnt going away, and last I checked, Longhorn final isnt scheduled for release until fall '06. So there is plenty of time. I would like to know what/where your information comes from that TCPA (Palladium) wont be implemented in Longhorn :?:
                  John M Browning-designer 1911 .45,B.High Power,Winchester 30-30,Winchester Pump ,B.Auto-5,BAR,B. .50

Comment

Originally Posted by Colt.1911
                    Off Topic:

With companies onboard like HP, IBM, Intel, ect, ect Trusted computing isnt going away, and last I checked, Longhorn final isnt scheduled for release until fall '06. So there is plenty of time. I would like to know what/where your information comes from that TCPA (Palladium) wont be implemented in Longhorn :?:
                    That's from a german computer magazine, c't (http://www.heise.de/ct). Perhaps I can find a link in the next days, or at least tomorrow. Anyways, I can't see any serious reason migrating to Longhorn. Unfortunately, this might come in about 5 years, when important hardware driver updates (such as for USB 4.0, for example) are only released for Longhorn. But there are plenty other operating systems available, and you've always the possibility to boot multiple ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X