im getting a dvd burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im getting a dvd burner

Which burner i should get USB 2.0 or the usual Post why or why not.

If you need a portable drive than go for the USB drive otherwise just take a normal IDE drive. There are some good reviews at http://www.cdrlabs.com/ or http://www.cdfreaks.com read them and choose your favourite.

p.s. I just purchased a NEC3540A and I'm really impressed by the writing quality seems to be a good deal.

Comment

correct me if im wrong but wouldnt the data transfer rates be faster on ide than usb?

Comment

No, the DVD drive itself is much slower than IDE or USB2 High Speed bus.
        Same thing with hard drives, an ATA/66 bus is just as fast as SATA2/300 since the hard drive itself is slower than both of them.
        Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

USB 2.0 / firewire poll

Since this topic has a poll already: I'll ask this, do most people not have firewire ports on their machines?
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

All computers I have from 2002 or newer contain at least one firewire port, including laptops.
            Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

Do as I did:

I baught an new DVD writer IDE and When Id need it I unplug it form my Home pc and put it in my USBII Case for IDE...

Maximus

Comment

Originally Posted by JariK-Tietomedia
                No, the DVD drive itself is much slower than IDE or USB2 High Speed bus.
                Same thing with hard drives, an ATA/66 bus is just as fast as SATA2/300 since the hard drive itself is slower than both of them.
                that's exactly right, although the ata specs are for the entire bus (master + slave), so any performance "increase" would be because the cdrom is not taking any bandwidth from the ide bus. but any ata133 bus should be much more than enough for a cdrom and disk drive anyways.

i'd go usb 2 only cause i've maxed out my ide+sata channels with hdd
                Athlon X2 3800
                2gb DDR400
                6800nu -> 16x6
                2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Comment

I'm with TEAC and it burns everything with no problem .
                  It's my way or... ahhh hell, it's my way.

Comment

Get a plextor, there is nothing like a good plextor burner.

Comment

Originally Posted by olger901
                      Get a plextor, there is nothing like a good plextor burner.
                      A lot of time ago, maybe.

Not more. I wouldn't touch a plextor with a ten foot pole.

I still remember when they were the first ones to lock their firmwares against downgrade, and when released firmwares to disable the raw dao mode.

Now some very good writers are from LG, for examples.

Comment

My burner is by LG, my news reader, too. You won't make a mistake with LG.
                        Last edited by robotangel; 31.10.2005, 12:35.
                        ... and who are YOU?

Comment

About the poll, does yes stand for USB 2.0 dvd writer or usual dvd writer?
                          I'm abit confused.

Comment

12:26 GMT
                            I'm abit confused.

12:27 GMT
                            I'm abit confused.
                            At least you're confident about the confused part .
                            the modern world:
                            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
                              At least you're confident about the confused part .
                              Hehe, sorry for that double post.
                              Must have been really confused if i have even clicked the Submit button or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X