X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux?

Can i use Deamon tools with Linux.. :?: :?:

No, use a loopback FS instead.
    Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

And what is Loopback LF... Is it like windows emulator... And thanks anyway

Comment

this is an option in the mount command...

You can use it like that (and you need to open a console before )
        su (you need root rights do use the mount command)
        mount -t iso9660 -o loop name_of_the_file.iso where_you_want_to_mount_it

You can add some options if you want, but this shall be enough.
        Carpe diem

Comment

not good

this doesnґt emulate the copy protection of the CDs...

Comment

Re: linux

Originally Posted by Fedarkyn
            this doesnґt emulate the copy protection of the CDs...
            Try to name 5 linux-based copy protected CDs

But you're right, there isn't a solution right now.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Hб, so you understand my point...

I want it to finally play my windows protected games under wine (cedega is in fact like a wine + a "daemon tools" like feature).

:P

Comment

cedega is NOT like a wine + a "daemon tools" !

cedega is an accelerated wine with more support for directx - it does NOT mount any ISO files with their respective copy protection.

However I would definitely like to have Daemon Tools available for Linux - so I didn't have to swap my CDs so often.

Comment

Ned for a Linux version of daemon tools

Originally Posted by Underheaven
                  Try to name 5 linux-based copy protected CDs

But you're right, there isn't a solution right now.
                  Hi all,

I understand that Daemon tools is just available for WINDOWS and that there is a shell command available for Linux to mount iso images.

But please understand: The shell command is by far not satisfying. I am very reluctant to work with the shell ( actually I hate it) and I would love to have a DAEMON version available that would allow his me to mount an image more conveniently. (e.g. displaying an icon on the desktop )

So, DAEMON tool folks, do the LINUX users a favour and generate a Linux version of your terrific software. You would really bridge a big, big gap.

You would really hit the market and help many people who consider to switch from WINDOWS to Linux but hesitate to do so because Linux still lacks many beloved tools like yours.

Christian1000
                  Last edited by christian1000; 27.10.2006, 08:24.

Comment

does exists an alternative for linux users to mount ISOs with their corresponding copy protection?

my games are the only reason I keep a windows in my machine

Comment

Originally Posted by Fedarkyn View Post
                      does exists an alternative for linux users to mount ISOs with their corresponding copy protection?

my games are the only reason I keep a windows in my machine
                      me too. I need smoething like daemontools desperately.

Comment

I don't understand why people insist on trying to make Linux a gaming platform. It has never been a gaming platform and may very well never BE a gaming platform. If you want to play games, just dual-boot Windows and Linux.

Trust me, Windows won't hurt your computer, and you'll even be able to use Daemon Tools.

Shocking, I know.

Comment

I think, it's a little rude to say : linux is not a gaming platform. Perhaps you could say : linux is not a f.ck.d protected gaming platform.
                          But seriously, i think you must be proud that some people wants DT ported to linux.

Comment

@jidea: We ARE proud of this fact, indeed

However, I guess you pointed this to jito463, one of our long
                            time supporters and valuable forum-member and customer
                            of DT. But: He is not a DT employee, therefore your answer
                            is headed to the wrong person

btw, I too think that Linux is ATM not a gaming platform - and
                            for the very same reasons you already pointed out: its not an
                            protected area. However, this is not the only "drawback", most
                            games nowadays depend on a lot of win-only APIs, therefore
                            first we must convince game-producers to port the games to
                            linux natively. But of course its not Linux' fault that producers
                            do not take the extra-work to code alternative code or e.g.
                            use multi-platform API's (OpenGL e.g.) but rely on other architectures.
                            I guess its also a matter of efficiency and support. See that nvidia
                            and ATI nowadays even send engineers of their team to support
                            game-producers shed some light to the reasons WHY so few games
                            are ported to Linux. But of course: Those are my 2 cent to the
                            story only, I could be wrong of course.

ID Software on the other hand showed that high-class games
                            can run natively under Linux

Comment

i knew that jito463 is not a DT employee, but some time i think he is "Docteur honoris causa" of the DT university.(sorry don't know the english term)
                              I seldom had the opportunity to post, so I'm taking advantage of it to say : "thanks to you i can preserve my cdrom collecting"

For gaming on linux, sadly, you are not wrong, but ...
                              I HOPE !!! (I know that WE WILL REIGN on the GALAXY !!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X