Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard would it be to implement a virtual usb drive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard would it be to implement a virtual usb drive...

To explain what I mean...I mean to be able to mount a specific space on a harddrive to act as a virtual usb drive that would allow another computer, like a laptop, to connect via USB and have the laptop see it as a usb hdd that would be in an hd enclosure.

I realize this does not have alot of use, however, it does have a really good purpose for use on ps2's running the ps2 reality media player to watch divx movies from usb hd's connected to the ps2...

I don't have a usb hd enclosure lol

Just an idea...but if the hoards of people whining about not having a usb hd and being unable to copy divx to their PS2 HD's don't use deamon tools...they would now

use an xbox, it has the xbox media center. The xbox media center is soooo much easier and than any ps2 media player, and is just much more friendly, and can play anything from any source.

Comment

It's still a good idea and useful to millions of people.

Comment

useful: yes ... but can'b be done without hardware

The computer would have to act as an USB Device
        (specifically, as a USB MASS Storage Device).

But, the USB ports on a PC are Host only. :sad:

Which is why these "USB networking" Cables have some hardware (a Microcontroller and two USB-Device Interfaces) in them. Each host (the PCs) sees one networking device (that sends/receives packets on his behalf). It just so happens that the "network" has exactly two stations ....

I was (at one time) thinking of using one of these programmable USB<->ATA chips to do a "fake CDROM" in hardware; the chip would use its (parallel) IO-lines to attach to an IDE cable. the onboard controller would "emulate" a CD (or DVD) drive, but forward the actual read requests to the PC, which would serve the corresponding blocks from an image). That way, one would be able to replace "broken" IDE drives in consoles/DVD players.

Coming back to your "let the PC pretend to be USB Storage" question: you'd need a programmable USB-USB adapter; it would be best if it could handle the "i'm storage" part locally, just signalling the requested ops (r/w, Block#) to the PC; otherwise, you'd have to tunnel "raw" requests and handle the whole USB protocol on the PC)

If no such device (universal USB device o-a-rope) is available, i'd use
        - a PC-Hosted USB-Device development kit
        - two of these programmable USB<->IDE Chips lashed together

Comment

Hi I would like to implement following ,

A USB drive on my TARGET which is actually a folder on my HOST machine. HOST and TARGET are connected by USB cable.

Comment

Working...
          X