Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: About "private messages" to the DT team

@ john:

I loved your post, it's reflecting my thoughts to the point. Here in Germany ADD/ADHD is not nearly as commonly diagnosed as in the US, but believe me, you don't necessarily need that diagnosis to grow spoiled kids. There are hundreds of thousands of examples for that, and I'm only speaking about Germany, not about the rest of the world.

Concerning your suggestions, I can happily report that most of them are already in effect. (Well, maybe I shouldn't be so happy about it considering how many annoying kids are still around here.) PMs are restricted to forum users, you'll need to enter a confirmation code and click a confirmation link in an email to register. You don't need them to log in, but I don't think that's too important, seeing that we don't have many bot-messages in this forum.

However, binding an account to one IP after registration doesn't work - many (if not most) users have internet providers that dynamically assign IPs every time you log in. So our users would be locked out as soon as they're offline. (Granted, no more rule violations, but still I don't think that's the right way )
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Quote Originally Posted by Underheaven
    Just a note... this site does not display advertisements (now)
    lol yeah, my gripe about the advertising wasn't against your displaying but against the kids who want them removed from their viewing experience - none of them has any clue about how much bandwidth costs, especially at a high traffic site - it is not some measly $25 / month account that we are talking about here, that barely covers 1 GB of data transfer / month in most places - and high volume sites are doing into the hundreds of terabytes of data per month....and if the kids knew how to do the math as well...

Quote Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
    @ john:

I loved your post, it's reflecting my thoughts to the point. Here in Germany ADD/ADHD is not nearly as commonly diagnosed as in the US, but believe me, you don't necessarily need that diagnosis to grow spoiled kids. There are hundreds of thousands of examples for that, and I'm only speaking about Germany, not about the rest of the world.

Concerning your suggestions, I can happily report that most of them are already in effect. (Well, maybe I shouldn't be so happy about it considering how many annoying kids are still around here.) PMs are restricted to forum users, you'll need to enter a confirmation code and click a confirmation link in an email to register. You don't need them to log in, but I don't think that's too important, seeing that we don't have many bot-messages in this forum.

However, binding an account to one IP after registration doesn't work - many (if not most) users have internet providers that dynamically assign IPs every time you log in. So our users would be locked out as soon as they're offline. (Granted, no more rule violations, but still I don't think that's the right way )
    I figured they were, but it has been so long since I actually registered, and I wasn't about ot create a dummy account just to test :P

re: the single IP use - well, yeah, the dialup users have this problem, but if the broadband users were anywhere near smart they would realize that a direct connection to their broadband modem device is a very band thing - having a router / firewall in between the computer(s) and the modem makes things a lot smoother, with connection sharing enabled, *and* also ads an extra layer or 2 of protection to the machines behind the firewall. Since this is the setup I used, I mistakenly forgot to take into account that there are those who still just connect directly.

But glad I am not the only one who is completely annoyed with the whiners that run around.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    re: the single IP use - well, yeah, the dialup users have this problem, but if the broadband users were anywhere near smart they would realize that a direct connection to their broadband modem device is a very band thing - having a router / firewall in between the computer(s) and the modem makes things a lot smoother, with connection sharing enabled, *and* also ads an extra layer or 2 of protection to the machines behind the firewall. Since this is the setup I used, I mistakenly forgot to take into account that there are those who still just connect directly.
    I don't connect directly either, I'm using a router to share my internet connection with the rest of the family. Still, I get dynamic IPs, as most people with DSL connections do - and most of the broadband users in Germany (probably Europe, but I'm not sure about that) have a DSL line. Cable is actually quite rare here. So even with ever more users changing from dialup to broadband, most users (from Germany at least) will still have dynamic IPs.
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Default DSL

Because of DSL where I live I was brought to the trouble of writing a windows service to keep track of the constantly changing IP so I could give myself remote access (relying upon my own server and no external tracking service like dyndns.org). I'm back on cable again and am very relieved to be able to memorize my ip address.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123