• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Invalid device" on every boot, working on manual 2nd attempt

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 SP1
    Burning Software: none
    Anti-virus Software: NOD32
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

I had Daemon tools working nicely for years now. Last weekend I had to reinstall my server ('repair') due to some very weird Explorer problem... Now after booting the machine, when I log in I get an alert headed "DAEMON tools" saying "Invalid device.".

When I at this time look into the device manager, there is no entry for the SCSI driver and none for the CD-ROM drive. If I then click "OK", I get the same dialog a second time, but now the SCSI-device and the CD-ROM show up in the device manager, just the toolbar icon is missing.

If I now start daemon.exe again manually, it works just fine.

Tried to disable the start upon starup (HKLM/.../Run) and start manually, same behavior, 1st start gives errors, 2nd works. Tried proper remove (including checking the registry), rebooted a zillion times, to no avail. Finally copied d347[bus|prt].sys from another machine where it works, also no change.

SCSI driver is showing Microsoft/01.10.2002/version 5.2.3790.1830/Microsoft Windows Publisher.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? Anything else I can try? Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
    Hendrik

This is a known issue with 2003 Server - disable autostart in Options menu and start Daemon Tools manually after boot.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Strange thing though that I have been running the server for quite some time already without the slightest problem, only after the repair-reinstall did it show up. So there's got to be a way to make it work, but I'm not going to try simply reinstalling the server to do so.

Also, if I manually start after boot I still get the same problem: start daemon tools, respond to two error-dialogs, and start daemon a second time. Could automate this, but that doesn't sound like the right approach. If it's a known issue, is there also a known cause I can build my "manual" approach around?

Thanks again,
      Hendrik

Comment

Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 breaks daemon tools

First reported here: Windows Server 2003 SP1 breaks daemon tools

VeNoM386 mentions the cause in that thread.
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
        X