No announcement yet.

2 D-Tools 3.29 Win98SE Installations 1 Stable 1 Not Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried disabling other programs? Firewalls? Antivirus?

Could you try playing an avi or movie off your network and try skipping a lot. The only thing I can think of, is that daemon tools reads different parts of the image, and doesn't read them sequencial. Perhaps this confuses your lan driver or windows.

Of course, this is a really big guess...

Comment

I am going to make sure that I have the most recent Samba software on the Linux server. The Samba guys have been at this a long time and I would be surprised if they did not support a feature that worked on Win2K/XP.

I use Norton Antivirus as aprt of SystemWorks 2003 and I can try running it without that and anything else I can pull out via MSCONFIG. I will try that sometime today.

However, the machine where everything works has effectively all those programs in place. I am starting to believe that I have some minor thing that has changed and finding it may require a full OS reload.

-- Mache

Comment

To the one that posted that my problem wasnt the same !!

you might nitice that it happens when mounting from a win98 machine NOT a w2k.. My problem IS the same as poster .. and it's driving me nuts .. The wierdest thing about it is that it seems to work on some machines and on others not ..

I have 25 comps on the network im trying to use Daemontools where it doesnt work in a stable manner .. And 38 on the other network where it seems to work fine ..

to remove an error possibility i removed the XP pro comp from the first network and reinstated my beloved NetBEUI protocol as main prot .. Also i moved all the images i need mounted to a 98SE comp and for no obvious reason it seems to have improved stability. Getting that blue screen also happens sometimes when the system aparently loads succesfully but if i DARE to op an explorer i get it right away ..

I have no idea what courses this .. i think i have tried to fix what i could think of but it doesnt remove the problem .. Could it be in the code ??

Kind Regards

Linkdead ..!!

Comment

Ok .. I got a little more info ..

I'm ghosting machines here and because of this im changing
          User logons on the ghosted comps .. Yesterday while still trying to figure out why my comps are going bluescreen on me I had to reboot in Fail-
          safe mode to even be able to uninstall Daemon-tools . Then while uninstalling I got some Error messages telling me that other users had
          some unfinished installations and i got one errorcode aswell . I didnt
          write it down though and now i cant remember what it was ..
          But after uninstalling the comps went back to being 100% stable .
          No bluescreens or anything out of the ordinary..
          I tried installing CloneCD and the virtual drives works with no hassle there
          but i cant use CCD for shite because it cant automount anything ..

Think you guys can get busy with this problem .. I know youre not beeing paid for this program but the problem is so annoying and i have to look for other options if DT wont work

Kind Regards !!

Linkdead !!

Comment

Look in C:\windows\mindump. The files there are named by date. Figure out which one(s) would correspond to the bsods you got. Then email these files off to venom so he can analyze them.

Btw, you expect help from us, but then you forget error codes. This may not be your fault, but it doesn't help to find the problem... So simply, don't get angry

Comment

Uhh you got me on that one !!

C:\windows\mindump ????

whats thats hehe .. No directory or file with that name in my W lib

Im beginning to suspect other items might have some influence on this
              problem .. Mostly because i have tried several other VirtCD proggies ..

Latest one is SimCD some german thingie .. But i get blue screens there
              aswell .. I want to rule out the possibility of shite on the comp im using
              to test it .. I have clean installed the W98SE on two different machines installing only system software and the usual win98 updates from MS .
              I have made an internal network with no INET access so my machines shouldnt be under the influence of outside interfearance in any way.

It seems that the real culprit here might be the image i have made of
              C&C Generals .. I have 40 originals and im using original CD keys for the game. But i have noticed that even when im using other VirtCD thingies ( like SimCD ) I get the infamous blue Mofo when trying to mount that image over the network it also happens with W3 (sometimes) Yesterday i moved the images to the machines im testing on but sometimes it seems that the mounting issues can be caused to be kinda permanent if i try to mount an image through the network, get the error and then move to local mounting then the error sticks .. On the other hand if i mount from local first it seems to semiwork .. When i first get the faults i have to uninstall and i mean deep uninstall going through registry to remove remnants and then reinstall whatever cdtool im trying ..

Im doing the images with CCD but im beginning to wonder if it might be in the dumps that CCD creates the fault is to be found ..

Today ill be trying different approaches to creating my images to see if i might be able to create one that mounts differently ..

Could you plz elaborate more on the file/files you need me to mail back to you ??

Kind Regards

Linkdead !!

Comment

Never mind about the minidumps. These are small files which contain debug info on crash. I think they may be only present in winxp systems (and higher).

Comment

No minidumps in Win9x - only NT-based OS have minidumps ґn stuff
                  Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                  They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

To ease you guys abit !!

Well i now know for sure im getting the same frikking blue screens with other tools .. it MUST be the type of image im using ..

i'll try different ways to do it with CCD and then move on to nero if i cant make it work .. The only wierd thing about this is that on our other netcafe im running with exactly the same configuration and images but there it seems to work fine .. Thats the main thing that is driving me totally bonkers ..

do you have any ideas about that ... could hardware possibly be involved in this ?????

Kind Regards

Linkdead

Comment

Originally Posted by Mache Creeger
                      New information.

I copied a ConeCD CD game image (CUE, CCD, IMB, SUB) from the Linux server to the local hard drive of the problem machine and the mount indeed worked and the game started.

When I tried to mount the same image from the Linux server samba networked volume on the problem machine, I got a blue crash screen:

-- Mache
                      While samba is an easy way to share or map a drive to a linux box, Samba is buggy. NFS is a bit more stable. you may want to check and see if there are any options you can set w/the samaba side, seems to me that the read-cache, syncing or something similar could be causing your problems. By default, if Im not mistaken, is that samba needs alot of overhead to keep track of the transactions when you "read" or "write" to the share.. Is it possible that the problem IS samba?

Comment

Problem not SAMBA as it works on a different Win98SE machine just fine.

Comment

OK i think i have solved this shite !!

OK after a week of crap .. here is what i found ..

Im using Chaintech 7VJL APOGEE on the comps i have had troubles
                          with .. It has an onboard noname 100/10 Lan card wich was working without any trouble except it was the frikkin course for all the trouble ..

Finally going through everything over again ( again again ) I thought
                          OK what the main difference between the systems where it works and where it doesnt .. the onboard LAN card ... I disabled it in BIOS and
                          reinstalled the old Accton 1207 and viola ... no problems whatsoever ..

Guys .. how is it possible for an onboard LAN card to F... up the network
                          mounting of images .. Do you know anything about this ???

Kind Regards

Linkdead !!!

Comment

Well, crappy network drivers ґcause such trouble - search for updated drivers to use for the on-board LAN, may fix the issue.
                            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Working...
                            X