• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reactivating windows

Operating System: windows xp
    Burning Software: none
    Anti-virus Software: agv grifsoft
    DAEMON Tools Version: latest down load

this really isn't a problem more of a question but why iam i asked to reactivate windows after i install daemon tools it says that my system has change signifly since my first activation yes i upgraded my ram and video card but it never asked until i installed daemon tools

please respond

WinXP activation monitors hardware changes, but Microsoft did not make it so sensitive that 1 or 2 changes triggers re-activation.

I believe that more than 3 changes triggers re-activations.

Daemon Tools is seen as a hardware change because it registers itself as a SCSI device.

There's an excellent, in depth analysis here: http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

I've heard that re-activation is generally not a problem as long as the key has not been reactivated too many times or too recently (or something). However, I have not tried this, so YMMV.

Comment

Nice answer.
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I do guess (tough that's not my problem anyway 8) ) that since WPA checks for both SCSI Controllers and CD-Rom drives at least (under so-called-normal circumstances), any DT installation should comprise at least two changes with it, so if you just changed one thing more, then yep, there might be a point taken...

Comment

Operating System: WinXP SP2 + all pre-SP3 patches
          Burning Software: Nero + ISO Recorder v2
          Anti-virus Software: NOD32
          DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

But *that* would imply that changing the # of virtual drives would constitute change #3, and if you then changed ti again, that would be change #4....
          http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

nope, if i remember well, the counter is taken back to 0
            Carpe diem

Comment

Originally Posted by johngalt
              But *that* would imply that changing the # of virtual drives would constitute change #3, and if you then changed ti again, that would be change #4....
              I think that it may be more correct if I said that more than 3 categories of hardware changes need to occur before Windows Product Activation (WPA) forces reactivation.

If multiple changes occur within a category (ie., CD-ROMs), WPA simply notices that CD-ROMs have changed since last activation - it doesn't really care how many times. It needs for a few more categories to change (ie., RAM and video card) to have the reactivation kick in.

I think that's how it works anyway.

Comment

That seems to make more sense (perish the thought of me saying *anything* M$ does makes sense....)
                http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

Operating System: Xp Pro x64
                  Burning Software: Media player 10 *cries*
                  Anti-virus Software: Avast *sighs*
                  DAEMON Tools Version: awaiting 64-bit version

Heh, you guys actually don't want to know the specifics about how windows determines when you need to re-activate. Has to do with the point system yes, but it goes farther than that...and the 'counter' resets after I believe 6 months. There is a knowledge base article about here :

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Sorry about not being able to link it directly, but new to the forums.

*edited because I forgot what AV I was using *grin*

Comment

licenturion

Just for the record that KB article doesn't mention anything about time or months :wink: That time period idea may be a rumor, though it sounds true.
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

There are several articles on the net (none from Microsoft as far as I can tell) that mention a 120 day 'reset'.

If these articles are correct (which may not be the case), this might mean that the count of hardware changes on the local machine are reset after about 4 months of no changes, so the next hardware change is seen as the first.

However, this would not necessarily let you install a copy of XP on another machine using the same key, since that machine would still need to activate and there's nothing that says that Microsoft will reset their Product Key activation database.

This would just make Windows less sensitive to hardware changes that happen over a long period of time.

Comment

Hmm, I just re-read it and you are right. Odd, I could have sworn that was the one that had the time limit in it. I will do a bit more research on it and see if I can find anything 'official'. I used to work at Dell many moons ago in their corporate support center and I think there was an internal article about it, but might have been the Dell OEM version only. If nothing else, might make a call to the big M myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X