Automounting on CD/DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automounting on CD/DVD

Here is what I would like to achieve. I made some search on the net, but did not find anything.

What I would like is to put several CD images on one DVD, together with a small application that would "autorun" when the DVD would be inserted, and would automatically mount the ISO images on the DVD and assigning available drive letters.

In short, as I see it, it would NOT require a mounting software to be installed on the PC hard drive. A kind of "portable" version of DT, burnt on the CD/DVD with the images to be loaded.

To make it sophisticated (for version 2.0 ), you could think of a menu that would launch when the CD/DVD is inserted with some basic options (mount all - select images to mount - don't mount, explore media - etc.)

What do you think?

personally I think that's a nice idea, although I would prefer it if it wasn't just ISO images
    What I wouldn't mind seeing is if on entering the dvd you'd get a menu asking which image to mount in DT, rather than every image you had suddenly being made into a drive of it's own (as id only want one image loaded at a time).
    I think this idea would be better if DT could detect it, and open up what your suggesting rather than having to burn an autorun exe to every cd/dvd made.

Comment

DT on the media, not on the HD!

Originally Posted by Chiefwhosm
      personally I think that's a nice idea, although I would prefer it if it wasn't just ISO images
      What I wouldn't mind seeing is if on entering the dvd you'd get a menu asking which image to mount in DT, rather than every image you had suddenly being made into a drive of it's own (as id only want one image loaded at a time).
      I think this idea would be better if DT could detect it, and open up what your suggesting rather than having to burn an autorun exe to every cd/dvd made.
      Fact is that my aim was to be able to use the images on the DVD without having to worry whether DT is installed on the host PC or not, enabling me to use the DVD on any PC and pass it to friends, hence the idea of having the application on the DVD itself, together with the images

Comment

ah I see what you mean, I dont see how that would be possible as DT installs system stuff to create the drives etc so im sure it would still need to install stuff and reboot the pc for things like drives to take affect. This is only a guess because I don't know anything about the program, I guess wait and see if one of the devs can answer your question better

Comment

Although this is a good idea per se, it is impossible to do with Daemon Tools, at least without installing it. Daemon Tools uses a low-level system driver to create a virtual DVD drive. This is necessary because the drive may not be easily recognized as being 'virtual' (i.e. software instead of hardware); otherwise every copy protection manufacturer could blacklist it too easily so you wouldn't be able to run any copy protected image anymore.

However, if you have Daemon Tools installed on the target machine, you can create an autorun.inf invoking Daemon Tools with the necessary command line switches to mount the CD's images. Just check the help or search the forums for those if you want to do that, there's plenty of information about it available.

Remember though that Daemon Tools supports no more than 4 virtual drives (v3.47 doesn't and neither will v4), if you need more you'll have to wait for Daemon Tools Pro (or use Alcohol 120%).
          "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Working...
          X