Is this right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this right

I have an mds image that I made using Alcohol 120% for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Now my question is, if I get Daemon Tools version 4, then I just have to mount it using DT V4, and avoid unplugging everything, right?
    Last edited by general-pain; 27.10.2005, 03:23.

Well, that seems to be the plan. The freeware version will work like Starforce Nightmare, which means it will disable the IDE drives automatically (I hope). The Pro version (which you must register/pay to use) will provide a virtual IDE/ATAPI drive, so there will be no need to disable the real drives.

(And by the way, I found that out while reading the forum.)
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

So,

Essentially, for free you won't get much more than you have now: disabling drives manually (well, maybe it will be scriptable)
      SFcure takes care of fs blocking anyway, I wonder how deep does DT integrate into system to do achieve same thing.
      Only problem with alcohol/dt3 is, you have to disable node or handle blacklisting. What a pain

Maybe sf3 devs will blacklist sfcure soon (which is simple function call hack-btw. source of sfcure is available), so daemon will be released just in time.

Question: Will it be possible to use RPMS emulation for discs burned in alcohol (protected by sf3 or securom), so I don't have to keep 4Gb images on drive (that's 8Gb for every installed game), even if it's starforce+IDE drive?

That probably isn't easy, technically, because drive must in that case be "routed" to daemon drive(r). How to prevent starforce from gaining access to IDE bus and finding dvd-drive while it's active is another story. (Maybe utilizing IDE IO port virtualization )

I also guess dt4 will not implement this, because it is a feature of alcohol 120%...

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
        The freeware version will work like Starforce Nightmare, which means it will disable the IDE drives automatically (I hope). The Pro version (which you must register/pay to use) will provide a virtual IDE/ATAPI drive, so there will be no need to disable the real drives.

(And by the way, I found that out while reading the forum.)
        I read through almost the entire forum aswell but it seems that you'll still need SFNightmare or another way to "hide" your IDE drives. DT won't do that.. at least I haven't found a dev comment that says that..

Comment

Originally Posted by octopus72
          Question: Will it be possible to use RPMS emulation for discs burned in alcohol (protected by sf3 or securom), so I don't have to keep 4Gb images on drive (that's 8Gb for every installed game), even if it's starforce+IDE drive?
          Strange question. If you want to use real CDs or DVDs, just use the original ones.

Comment

Originally Posted by noib
            Strange question. If you want to use real CDs or DVDs, just use the original ones.
            Ever heard the word "backup" before?

Comment

Oh yeah, so you backup all your CDs / DVDs in case your little sister comes in your room and eat them ?

Comment

Originally Posted by noib
                Oh yeah, so you backup all your CDs / DVDs in case your little sister comes in your room and eat them ?
                I don't have a little sister, but I still back everything up. Not just games; everything. It saved my ass quite a few times, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                X