Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Unread post retention

Experienced User

Default Unread post retention

I dunno if I shall post here or in the Error/Broken link section of the forum, but here seems more appropriate.

Imho, the unread status of the treads/post is taken off too fast. I dunno if there is a way to circumvent that... but as I have the habbit to leave the comp with the DT forum on, and not completly read, when I return... the site thinks that I've read everything.

Twas my rant

PS : If there is no way to go throught that, it's not a problem.

Kinlaadare
    Carpe diem

What you're asking for is a longer idle timeout (I think).
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Experienced User

aye, you're right
    didn't remember the word yesterday evening...
    Carpe diem

Default ...

Or maybe you tried to remember the word and then walked away from the computer and then couldn't reply when you came back because you were logged out. :-)
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Experienced User

Yes, I let the browser open on the DT site while I slept
    Carpe diem

Experienced User

Now I think the unread status last to long! About 10-15 minutes sometimes, seems like it's random or something.
    It even marks the threads that I was the last one to post in as undread.
    Sometimes it marks threads as unread 30 minutes after I allready have read it and marked it as read with the "Mark Forums Read" function.

This has to be fixed I am getting really confused of what i have read and what i haven't read.

Experienced User

I don't know if it random or not... but when I came back this morning and opened the brower on the DT forum... Hum? nutting new? nutting happened during tha nite? And looking more closely to the last post... there were some activity but nutting is marked.

This is a real mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Methadon
    This has to be fixed I am getting really confused of what i have read and what i haven't read.
    me too.
    Carpe diem

Yeah, vBulletin's tracking system seems to be broken.

You can at least get the subforums to show their correct status (i.e. if you've read all new posts in a subforum, it'll have the blue "now new posts" instead of the orange "new posts" icon) by doing the following:

After you've read the last post, don't use the browser's back function but click on the link to the subforum at the top of every page, then go to the forum start page.

For example, if you've read the thread "Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Wild" and want to go back, you first click on "General Copy Discussion" and then, in case there are no other new threads in this forum, you click on "THE DAEMONS HOME". (Check the attached image, the mentioned links are highlighted in red.)

"I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Experienced User

Thanks for the tip
    Carpe diem

Experienced User

One thing that I have noticed is that when they people that has to get their posts aproved before it shows up,
    when their post shows up, it don't shows any unread status either on the forum category or the thread.

Can this be fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast