PC I'm building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC I'm building

Yes, I'm building a CPU. I all ready have a videocard, motherboard, sound card, and harddrive. All I need is a processor, DVD RW+-, Memory Stick, and Case.

Full Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 1.8ghz
    Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 MB
    BFG GeForce 6200 OC AGP Video Card with 128MB DDR Memory
    Kingston 1GB PC2700 DDR Single Module
    MEMOREX 52X CD-RW/ 16X DVD-ROM COMBO DRIVE

Western Digital 160GB WD1600JDRTL Serial ATA (SATA/150) 8MB - Retail Hard Drive Kit

Any Suggestions?

The videocard is very slow.
    For office PC a good choice but not for a Game PC.

Comment

Just one little correction, you are building a computer not a CPU (Central Processing Unit/Processor).

Comment

With that graphics card you can't expect any actuall fun while playing. For a good card at a low price, I recommend the GeForce 6600GT. Fast, but only costs about 150 bucks.
        To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by ecodriver
          that card is not very slow, compared to something bigger it is slower, but not very slow..

I have quite a few different cards here ranging from old to new, ti, fx, (2,4,5,6 series cards) And the card he has will work fine for most games,. its not going to be the top of the line maxed res, but it will work find for gaming. My wifes FX 5900 runs most games Doom 3, HL2, maxed, and almost maxed on F.E.A.R. so I do not see a problem with his card. But I do agree, it would have been a good idea to go with the another such as 6800GT since the price range is reasonable.
          No, you cannot have my signature, unless you pay me. I am famous you know.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dllfile
            that card is not very slow, compared to something bigger it is slower, but not very slow..
            Well, for starters, my old Radeon 9800 Pro is much faster than this one. And although the 9800 Pro is old, it has 8 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory bandwidth. Buying something like the GF6200 today, even though something like the 6600GT is available, is a sin!
            To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
              Well, for starters, my old Radeon 9800 Pro is much faster than this one. And although the 9800 Pro is old, it has 8 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory bandwidth. Buying something like the GF6200 today, even though something like the 6600GT is available, is a sin!
              Agree completely. The newer card you get the later it will go completely obsolete.

Comment

Originally Posted by ecodriver
                You're jocking, right? What you said was stupd. They use da MX 440 for a office PC. The "6-st" series are good. True, the card is slow, but what you said was funny. I've been using PC for about 12 years, I create my own PC and I can asure you, that this card can run any game .

I think, that you should have saved some money from the hard disk. 160GB is good, but if you bought a 80GB and a Geforce 6600 you would have had better results. And another thing,

But, for this money(and maybe a little more) you could buy a 6600, which is a better choice. And another thing, how come an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ is only 1.8ghz ? I'm useing a 2000+, which is 1.7ghz . You can change it from the BIOS, but if you don't know how, I don't recommend you to touch it .
                Last edited by Kaloyan_78; 30.10.2005, 07:54.
                It's my way or... ahhh hell, it's my way.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kaloyan_78
                  You're jocking, right? What you said was stupd. They use da MX 440 for a office PC. The "6-st" series are good. True, the card is slow, but what you said was funny. I've been using PC for about 12 years, I create my own PC and I can asure you, that this card can run any game .

I think, that you should have saved some money from the hard disk. 160GB is good, but if you bought a 80GB and a Geforce 6600 you would have had better results. And another thing,

But, for this money(and maybe a little more) you could buy a 6600, which is a better choice. And another thing, how come an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ is only 1.8ghz ? I'm useing a 2000+, which is 1.7ghz . You can change it from the BIOS, but if you don't know how, I don't recommend you to touch it .
                  For someone who can easily throw an insult by calling someone's opinion stupid, doesn't say much for yourself especially when you don't know why a 3000+ clocks only at 1.8ghz. Also the mx440 is not the more popular choice for office PC's as you state. A majority of them rely on mobo built-in integrated graphics.
                  Next time try to be more respectable on this board please.
                  Last edited by Xristaki; 30.10.2005, 08:35.

Comment

hardware opinions

Hey-- these are hardware opinions. I don't see everything as black and white. It's hard to prove a>b when it comes to this stuff.
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Xristaki
                      For someone who can easily throw an insult by calling someone's opinion stupid, doesn't say much for yourself especially when you don't know why a 3000+ clocks only at 1.8ghz. Also the mx440 is not the more popular choice for office PC's as you state. A majority of them rely on mobo built-in integrated graphics.
                      Next time try to be more respectable on this board please.
                      Ok, I have a Athlon 2000+ which works at 1.7GHz . How come, a 3000+ would work at 1.8, when I have a friend who has a 2300+ which works at 1.8 too. Explain that! And, YES, MX 440 or ATI is used for office PCs in my country. I bought an office PC with a MX 440. If you don't believe me, come and see. It is also true that they sometimes are build-in, but that is a rear case here. If you are speaking about original PC (the ones, where al parts are made by one manufacture) - yes, they may be integrated, but Bulgaria is a poor country so it is cheaper to buy a not original PC. A friend of mine had to wait to get his PC, because the store was filling an order for 10 PC for an office.

And yes, it is stupid to say that 6200 is used for an office PC and not for games, because I use FX 5700 and all games work on it. Even F.E.A.R runs fine, so I disagree compleatly with him. I'm sorry if I offended him, I had no such intentions and I didn't mean that he was stupid or anything, I just ment, that his oppinion was very wrong.

But yes, a 3000+ may work at 1.8GHz, but it could also work at about 2.7 . I asked a man, who sells PC components and he told me so.

I just asked that man again, about the CPU 3000+ and he told me, that I was right, that it could be cloced more than 3000+, but actualy 3000+ is compared to an Intel CPU - it works as good as Intel that is 3GHz and more and that this is very complicated to understand - the manufactures desicion.
                      Last edited by Kaloyan_78; 30.10.2005, 15:35.

Comment

It's funny abou that 1,8ghz. I'm on my father's PC and he has a AMD Althon XP 2400+ 2.00ghz. Besides I just need something to run GTASA at good FPS.

Comment

Originally Posted by Torrent
                          It's funny abou that 1,8ghz. I'm on my father's PC and he has a AMD Althon XP 2400+ 2.00ghz. Besides I just need something to run GTASA at good FPS.
                          You mean on HIGH details? Well, it might run fine set ot Medium details, I don't know. But, you have a very good PC, no doubt about it .

Comment

Ok, I have a Athlon 2000+ which works at 1.7GHz . How come, a 3000+ would work at 1.8, when I have a friend who has a 2300+ which works at 1.8 too. Explain that!
                            There's more to CPU's than just clock speed.

Taken from an old article but still applies:
                            One megahertz equals one million cycles per second and is used to measure transmission speeds of electronic devices. The most common area you'll see Megahertz used is in measuring processor clock speed (i.e. an 800 Mhz Pentium III). However, megahertz only measures the clock speed of the processor (how many cycles it can handle per second) -- not the overall performance. Because megahertz measures only a single aspect of a processor, it is possible that a 500 MHz PowerPC G4 is faster overall than an 800 Mhz Pentium III. Mac users love to stress this point.

Think of it as an ordinary work day and Joe Schmoe A and Joe Shmoe B both have the same amount of work. It doesn't mean the end result of the work will be quality for both. Theres more factors than just the amount of work a cpu can do.

And, YES, MX 440 or ATI is used for office PCs in my country. I bought an office PC with a MX 440. If you don't believe me, come and see. It is also true that they sometimes are build-in, but that is a rear case here. If you are speaking about original PC (the ones, where al parts are made by one manufacture) - yes, they may be integrated, but Bulgaria is a poor country so it is cheaper to buy a not original PC.
                            Ok well it seems that we both at fault for not taking into account that things are different in each of our homelands.
                            Last edited by Xristaki; 30.10.2005, 17:27.

Comment

Originally Posted by Xristaki
                              There's more to CPU's than just clock speed.

Taken from an old article but still applies:
                              One megahertz equals one million cycles per second and is used to measure transmission speeds of electronic devices. The most common area you'll see Megahertz used is in measuring processor clock speed (i.e. an 800 Mhz Pentium III). However, megahertz only measures the clock speed of the processor (how many cycles it can handle per second) -- not the overall performance. Because megahertz measures only a single aspect of a processor, it is possible that a 500 MHz PowerPC G4 is faster overall than an 800 Mhz Pentium III. Mac users love to stress this point.

Think of it as an ordinary work day and Joe Schmoe A and Joe Shmoe B both have the same amount of work. It doesn't mean the end result of the work will be quality for both. Theres more factors than just the amount of work a cpu can do.

Ok well it seems that we both at fault for not taking into account that things are different in each of our homelands.
                              I completly agree about both things . I wasn't talking about the quality of the CPU, only the GHz that works, but I wern't that sure. Ok, everything is fine .

And about the office PC, come to think of it, there are some places where they use original PCs(many places) but I realized, that they buy not original PC, so they can sell them to someone and buy now ones .

I sow an artical, which said, that only 20% of the PC are original. I have 2 PC and a laptop and only the laptop is original, I havn't seen a laptop put together by someone, haha. Anyway, not to flood the topic anymore, I think that @Torrent has a very good PC and it doesn't need any more upgrades .

Comment

Working...
                              X