Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Space

Frage

ok, so riddle me this, iv'e only just staarted using dtools, and i have noticed that the image files are quite large, similar in size to the actual installed game, so, does that then mean that you have twice the space requirement for a game on your hard drive, and if so, is there anyway around this, or am i just complaining about something that can't be changed?

That's right. You need the space for installing the game and the space of the image files. To save space you could create mini-images but this only works for Safedisk and for Starforce in old versions and you couldn't install the games using this mini-image.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalCobra
    you could create mini-images but this only works for Safedisk and for Starforce in old versions and you couldn't install the games using this mini-image.
    cool, thought so, now, two questions, how do i go about making a mini-image?
    and could i RUN the game with this mini image, if i installed the game from another source, say a purchased disk, or a full image? i know this is not really this forum, but hey, thats where the conversation has taken us...

So for making a mini-image for Safedisk on cd start amking an image with Alcohol with very low speed and ignore read error option enabled. After you've got 2-3 read errors abort image making process and click that you don't want delete the image files and try if it's work (mount it and start the game).
    For Safedisc on dvd make an image with alc and choose a low speed press ignore read errors and press if it start reading the image on abort (after serveral mb of reading) and press don't delete and try.
    For Starforce use IsoDirectory (IsoDir.exe).

Experienced User

Here is a guide of how to make a mini-image.
    But as AnalCobra said, it only works with Safedisk and older Starforce versions.

So for making a mini-image for Safedisk on cd start amking an image with Alcohol with very low speed and ignore read error option enabled. After you've got 2-3 read errors abort image making process
    Hmmm... I thought you must include all the errors? That would be about 20MB. Have to try out that one.
    For Safedisc on dvd make an image with alc and choose a low speed
    Many users report that Alcohol won't let them choose a speed while reading DVDs. In this case, you can try to set the speed lower with Nero Drivespeed before starting the read.
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos
    Many users report that Alcohol won't let them choose a speed while reading DVDs. In this case, you can try to set the speed lower with Nero Drivespeed before starting the read.
    Thats correct, you can't choose speed or profile when you are going to create an image of a DVD in Alcohol.
    But it works anyway, just press cancel as fast as you can.

The "errors" you need are before the errors, after you should abort the process, atm i don't know how these "errors" are named.

The "errors" you need are before the errors, after you should abort the process, atm i don't know how these "errors" are named.
    I think I know what you mean. Some sectors can be read perfectly fine and don't show up as errors, but you actually cannot write them (at least not with every CD-RW, and certainly not with DVD-recorders).

My DVD-drive reports "disc read error" with some sectors, while with other it says "read data examination error", so maybe that's it? Anyone knows more?
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos
    Hmmm... I thought you must include all the errors? That would be about 20MB. Have to try out that one.
    I've read that you only need about 2-3 errors.
    But I know that it don't need to be 20MB, that's to big.
    I know that because my BF2 mini-image is only 3MB, I can probably get it smaller.
    Last edited by Methadon : 06.11.2005 at 16:01

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast