Newbie needs a Mentor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs a Mentor.

I need help. I have been using a computer for a few years & am fairly computer literate. I decided that I needed to move on, I could have chosen an easy topic !!!, and learn this side of computing. I guess,don't flame me if this sounds patronising, that most of you are younger than me. It does get harder to learn the older I get. I have struggled with various programs, watching the posts in forums like this. It was only when the administrator mailed me about not posting did I realise I should ask for help. So if you would be my mentor & guide I would be very grateful. I know how helpful people are, because I have had help in other areas, & should have swollen my pride earlier. Sorry if this post is either too long, off topic or just plain mad but I had to act as I believe a closed mind will leave in a life of ignorance. Thanks & regards, Max

of course it's a little bit off-topic that's why I moved the thread.
    What concerns your posting: what exactly is your problem? I'm sure here you find users always willing to help but you should be more specific :wink:

Comment

Newbie needs a Mentor.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It sums me up really , posting off topic & not explaining in detail.. The project I'm trying is this. I have a copy of Red Alert Yuri's Revenge. done for me by a friend. It won't install from CD, keeps asking me to put in CD. I copied all to hard drive. I know the protection is SafeDisc. What I have done so far is .
      1. Used Clone CD to make copy, I followed a tutorial on a site & think I did it properly.
      2 Downloaded a patch for the .exe & applied. burnt another CD.
      3 Used unSafeDisc to "unwrap" the original file. Did'nt work.
      4. Considered just buying the game Ј10 & no hassle. Sorry that' sounds flippant.
      5. Ran through other games that my friends son had done for me, all using Unsafe Disc, to see if there was a common element but found nothing that I understood.
      6. Looking at Forums , sites & programs but I could'nt find anything that I could do. I suspect that the problem begins with the original copy. My friend would have used something like EasyCD Creator to copy when it should have been done with a program such as CloneCD or Alcohol 120. I am finding it difficult, even after reading as much as possible, to completely grasp the "image" concept. I hope that is a little clearer. I really would like to master this, purely for my own satisfaction. Everybody in the forums seem to have it sussed but an old geezer like me struggles.
      regards,
      max.

"Youth is wasted on the young"

Comment

The easiest way is to see if you can get the original, and use clonecd or alcohol 120 and use the game/safedisc(2) profile. Of course, an easier way would be to purchase the game, and support game development.

Comment

To Locutusofborg & Andareed , I really appreciate you taking the time to reoly & offer help. I will follow through & letb you know how it goes. I will most probably need a bit of help with the Daemon-Tools script. I am determined to learn this side of computing. When I learn anything it gives me a boost. This is just my opinioon , but I think it fruitless to buy a good PC & not learn as much as possible. Once again thanks.
          regards,
          max.

Comment

Working...
          X