Say Bye Bye to Jack Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Bye Bye to Jack Thompson

Most of you know him as the crazy lawyer who is against Rockstar games believing that video games are the cause of crimes in today's youth. Well now you can start saying good bye to him.

hxxp://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12774

The guy's a psycho, actually. I won't miss him. Hope he really goes away.
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

I wonder what his take is in the True Crime game? :P
      http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

Heh, One down billions to go... when will they learn that games dont cause violence, people do.... Violent video games are a good outlet for people because no one gets hurt...

I love his statement that "GTA Trained the 18 year old to be a killer"... If this where true then why doesnt the militery use video games to train people... oh wait because it doesnt do anything!!, all they ended up doing was makeing a half way decent FPS.

Comment

I don't consider video games even as an "outlet" of violence. Usually I just find the violence funny. It's the interactivity, graphics, and general gameplay that get me hooked.

In the past, when I was playing Mortal Kombat with friends, we used to have a good laugh each time someone managed to pull of a fatality. It was just too violent to be of any concern. It was just funny.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
            I don't consider video games even as an "outlet" of violence. Usually I just find the violence funny. It's the interactivity, graphics, and general gameplay that get me hooked.

In the past, when I was playing Mortal Kombat with friends, we used to have a good laugh each time someone managed to pull of a fatality. It was just too violent to be of any concern. It was just funny.
            Yes, now because you played and probly still play violent video games, do you find yourself to be more agressive or do you kill people?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hakira
              Yes, now because you played and probly still play violent video games, do you find yourself to be more agressive or do you kill people?
              Not many.

There will always be people with mental problems. Would these people kill if there were no video games? Probably yes. They would just state some other lame excuse for their violent behavior.

Comment

And we can say exactly the same thing for the violent movies on the TV... The people with mental problems don't necessary need a catalyst to act.
                Carpe diem

Comment

From an educated point of view (I did a bit of psychology), there is conflicting evidence as to whether violent games and movies make us more violent in real life. Most crazy ppl don't even bother with T.V or pc games. Can you imagine a person making plans depending on a game? it don't seem realistic to me.
                  There have been studies, but nothing concrete on the issue.

Personally, I don't think by playing a fighting game for a couple of hours a day, or watching a violent movie (Sin City??), is gonna make me screwed up in the head. Only, a nutty person is gonna be seriously influenced by violent films and games.

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
                    From an educated point of view (I did a bit of psychology), there is conflicting evidence as to whether violent games and movies make us more violent in real life. Most crazy ppl don't even bother with T.V or pc games. Can you imagine a person making plans depending on a game? it don't seem realistic to me.
                    There have been studies, but nothing concrete on the issue.

Personally, I don't think by playing a fighting game for a couple of hours a day, or watching a violent movie (Sin City??), is gonna make me screwed up in the head. Only, a nutty person is gonna be seriously influenced by violent films and games.
                    Hehe, another psychology person, I have a minor in it, so I kinda know what your talking about, where you refuring to the study with the children and the violent cartoons? What they conlcuded from that is some kid react to the cartoons miss jugdeing them as reality, but what he's trying to make is that a mature adult can be influnced by such a thing. I dont know of any study of violent video games that tested on a mature adult, I do know there was one on adalesence and it came back inconclusive because some where affected other had no affect. So Im still wondering what they keep basing their arguments off of...

Comment

where you refuring to the study with the children and the violent cartoons? What they conlcuded from that is some kid react to the cartoons miss jugdeing them as reality, but what he's trying to make is that a mature adult can be influnced by such a thing. I dont know of any study of violent video games that tested on a mature adult, I do know there was one on adalesence and it came back inconclusive because some where affected other had no affect.
                      Errr..... You lost me with the first line . I did an A-Level (UK system) in psychology. I think you're refering to the Bobo doll (a doll that bounces back upright after being hit) studies where an adult would hit a Bobo doll in front of children, and then observe their reaction afterwards. I don't need to remember that stuff anymore:wink: 'cos I finished my A-Levels, and Psychology ain't my line of study. No disrespect to your achievement in psychology. Btw, what country did you study in, 'cos most of these studies were done in America.
                      This other study relating to TV violence found that ppl who watch violent tv, are less violent!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
                        Errr..... You lost me with the first line . I did an A-Level (UK system) in psychology. I think you're refering to the Bobo doll (a doll that bounces back upright after being hit) studies where an adult would hit a Bobo doll in front of children, and then observe their reaction afterwards. I don't need to remember that stuff anymore:wink: 'cos I finished my A-Levels, and Psychology ain't my line of study. No disrespect to your achievement in psychology. Btw, what country did you study in, 'cos most of these studies were done in America.
                        This other study relating to TV violence found that ppl who watch violent tv, are less violent!!!
                        I studied and still am studying at RIT in america. Yes most of the studys are done here, I think this is because we have something of a progressive welnes thing... Its like we take a active role in seeking help in dealing with our problems... be it with proscription drugs or thearapy.

As for the study I was mentioning was a older APA study on violence and kids... Kids and violence
                        (note: this link might not work its a google cache)

This study was done back in the '90s, but they did find a link with agression in kids and violence.

I still cant find anything about adults and violence... I keep seeing things for kids...

Comment

Even though I don't feel offended by violence in games, don't you find games like Doom 3 just too violent? It somewhat distracts from the good parts of the game. Yeah, well, exploding heads with brains and blood splattering all over the place looks kinda funny on screen (whenever that happens, I just look at my pal who sits right to me and he just grins with eyes rolling), but you have to wonder why they put that in. The game would be actually more dark and terrifying without that stuff. Designer's choice of course; that's just my own opinion. I think true horror comes from hinting about what *could* happen, without actually make it happen. That's why FEAR isn't as scary as it could be. (And Quake 4 is just fast-paced action; no horror at all.)

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
                            Even though I don't feel offended by violence in games, don't you find games like Doom 3 just too violent? It somewhat distracts from the good parts of the game. Yeah, well, exploding heads with brains and blood splattering all over the place looks kinda funny on screen (whenever that happens, I just look at my pal who sits right to me and he just grins with eyes rolling), but you have to wonder why they put that in. The game would be actually more dark and terrifying without that stuff. Designer's choice of course; that's just my own opinion. I think true horror comes from hinting about what *could* happen, without actually make it happen. That's why FEAR isn't as scary as it could be. (And Quake 4 is just fast-paced action; no horror at all.)
                            Doom 3 was designed to be like its predicessor with just a tad bit more storyline thrown in. I never found the exploding heads all that scary, Although I did find it scary when your on hard and all you see is exploding heads... But that scared is just the effects of way to much on the screen at one time and trying to servive. Its things like that what, in opinion, make the game scary, also there are alot of things you miss if you dont play the game in 5.1 - 7.1 surround sournd systems. The game in my case is much scaryer because you hear things aproching from behind you and sometime I mistake it for something actualy behind me. The other aspect of the games scaryness is its playing with the unknown, because the way the story is told you never know, one of the worlds gouverments could be doing this... and if you play it fully out and read everthing and listen to the people, you find out that the creations are trying to get to earth...

I cant comment on FEAR yet because I still havent played it. Its it like Doom 3 in game play or is it something diffrent.

As far as Quake 4, I was never ment to be scary, just horably fast paced. Q3 is something that I religusly play at any of the LAN partys that I through. Quake 4 is just an update to the series, I dont know if it adds any story to it, but realy you dont need any its just fun being fast paced...

Comment

The scarry parts in Doom3 -- and I mean the really scarry ones -- are those where suddenly the lights go off, everything turns to red, voices are whispering in Latin, and the weird noises kick in. It always made me jump and turn on the lights; at moments I was thinking I'm having a heart attack! The exploding heads aren't scrarry. Why should they be? It's just gore. And they have overdone it a bit. Too much blood and gore makes it somewhat unrealistic. Blood on the walls is scarry. Exploding heads is just funny.

I cant comment on FEAR yet because I still havent played it. Its it like Doom 3 in game play or is it something diffrent.
                              Totally different, I'd say. It's a mixture between an FPS, Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Worth a play. The graphics aren't as good as Doom 3, Half-Life 2 or Quake 4, but still very nice (especially the shaded water).

As far as Quake 4, I was never ment to be scary, just horably fast paced. Q3 is something that I religusly play at any of the LAN partys that I through. Quake 4 is just an update to the series, I dont know if it adds any story to it, but realy you dont need any its just fun being fast paced...
                              Q4 adds a story. It's even a good one, with 3D cut scenes that add to the game. By the way, the multiplayer part of Q4 has nothing to do with the single player one. On multiplayer, it's like Q3 Arena. On single player, it's almost identical to Doom 3. The graphics are better AND with more FPS than Doom 3 though; they must have optimized the engine quite a bit. Not as scarry as Doom 3 though; some parts of it are scarry, but most of the time it's regular action like HALO and such.

Comment

Working...
                              X