Say Bye Bye to Jack Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Nikos
    It always made me jump and turn on the lights; at moments I was thinking I'm having a heart attack!
    Now you're just exaggerating

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
      Now you're just exaggerating
      Yeah, well, with the "heart attack" part. But I really paused the game and turned on the lights (and the radio) at some points.
      To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Heh, very few things scare me in real life. won't go into the reasons...just not much does. Though, I will say this. I picked up a copy of Doom 3 about a month after it was released. Had a few other things to do that day and ended up getting home around 10pm. Girlfriend had to go into work late and it had just got through storming. I figured I would install and play it for a few hours and then go to bed. Got it installed, put on the headset (very nice set that covers your ears). Started playing and didn't think much about it. Now, let me set the scene for a sec. The house is empty and dark (save for one light on, on the other side of the house) and the last remenents of lightning are flashing off in the distance outside my window. I got to the part where the voices started whispering about "They took my baby" and the light on the other side of the house flickered along with the lights in the game. I stopped right there. Saved it, logged out, turned on the lights and watched Adult swim til it went off the air and exhaustion made me pass out in my chair. Looking back it is funny as hell, but Doom 3 is not a game I will play at night much anymore unless I'm looking to get creeped out. Very good adrenaline rush and definitly cures the need to sleep for a while.

Comment

Yeah, well, with the "heart attack" part. But I really paused the game and turned on the lights (and the radio) at some points.

Nope, I know your not exaggerating, I have done the same thing... I think at one point I got so freaked out that I saved my game and went and watched anime and read web comics...

Comment

F.e.a.r.

This is a (translated) part of a review of F.E.A.R. - when I read it (after having finished the game) I literally agreed with every sentence. It describes what you get with F.E.A.R. pretty well.

(...) F.E.A.R. scares. Or, more precisely: F.E.A.R. shocks. With short, subtly placed, meanly timed moments of terror that play virtuosically with our primal fears. With dark corridors, menacing shadows on the border of one's peripheral vision, voices coming from nowhere. With disturbing images, mysterious visions. And with a little girl in a red dress, surrounded by an aura of death.

It's these moments that put F.E.A.R. above the mass of uninspired shooters. Here the story - although surprisingly unpredictable and with few clichés - almost becomes circumstantial: Once again a big (psychotic) ghost the government called, but then couldn't get rid of gets out of control and runs amok. The First Encounter Assault Recon, a special unit for extra delicate situations is sent in to get him under control. But that's just the prelude to the real horror... In order to get even the last one to panic the developers reached deeply into their (pyro)technical bag of tricks - requiring potent PC hardware. Bombastic particle effects, aggressive artificial intelligence, Matrix-style Slow Motion fights and a brilliant soundscape constantly had us on the verge of panicking. (...)
            Everyone who loves a good scare should definitely have a look at this game. Check out the demo from www.whatisfear.com, it gives you a good idea what to expect without spoiling any of the surprises.

...I think at one point I got so freaked out that I saved my game and went and watched anime and read web comics...

...I got to the part where the voices started whispering about "They took my baby" and the light on the other side of the house flickered along with the lights in the game...

...But I really paused the game and turned on the lights (and the radio) at some points...
            That's exactly what F.E.A.R. is like. I finished it at a friend's sometime at night and had to walk home (which takes about an hour). I think I looked over my shoulder looking for a little girl in a red dress more than I looked ahead. I honestly don't recall any computer game that's scared me soo badly.
            Last edited by NetSoerfer; 11.11.2005, 11:26.
            "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Hmm, then today after work Im going to have to pick up a copy of FEAR... If its that good then I shall definitly play it...

Comment

On single player, it's almost identical to Doom 3. The graphics are better AND with more FPS than Doom 3 though; they must have optimized the engine quite a bit. Not as scarry as Doom 3 though; some parts of it are scarry, but most of the time it's regular action like HALO and such.
                When i saw Q4 the first time i thought exactly the same.
                It's mix of Doom 3 (but not so scary) and Halo.
                The graphic and map is very much like doom.
                Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Nikos, I think the Q4 engine and the Doom3 engine are diffrent. If I remeber corectly that they have two diffrent devitions for their games. Thats probly why you get better FPS than in Doom3.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hakira
                    I think at one point I got so freaked out that I saved my game and went and watched anime and read web comics...
                    Ha ha! Same here. I hope you watch original untranslated (in Japanese) anime? Because the dubbed versions suck big time. The only reason I patched my DVD drive's firmware to make it region-free, is because I want to watch imported anime DVDs...

And get FEAR as soon as you can. It's one of those games that, even if you didn't like that much in the end, you have to say "I've played it."

Nikos, I think the Q4 engine and the Doom3 engine are diffrent. If I remeber corectly that they have two diffrent devitions for their games. Thats probly why you get better FPS than in Doom3.
                    The engines are basically the same, I think. You can tell just by looking at the graphics. Same style of bump-mapping, same lighting, the way pixel-shading is done, etc. Maybe they just improved the performance on ATI cards (I'm on a 9800Pro), because Doom3 was only flying on GeForce cards.
                    Last edited by Nikos; 11.11.2005, 22:49.

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
                      That's exactly what F.E.A.R. is like. I finished it at a friend's sometime at night and had to walk home (which takes about an hour). I think I looked over my shoulder looking for a little girl in a red dress more than I looked ahead. I honestly don't recall any computer game that's scared me soo badly.
                      I see you didn't play Silent Hill 3 and/or 4 yet.

When I compare Doom 3 to FEAR, I like D3 better (not that FEAR isn't an excelent game, mind you). It's just that I find Science Fiction horror more scarry than "regular" horror. Also, even though FEAR has some very awesome graphics at some places, they fall flat when compared to what Doom 3 is doing to your graphics board!

Comment

I see you didn't play Silent Hill 3 and/or 4 yet.

When I compare Doom 3 to FEAR, I like D3 better (not that FEAR isn't an excelent game, mind you). It's just that I find Science Fiction horror more scarry than "regular" horror. Also, even though FEAR has some very awesome graphics at some places, they fall flat when compared to what Doom 3 is doing to your graphics board!
                        Personally IMO F.E.A.R. has much better overall gameplay, also keep in mind there is not alot of mods out yet for the game as it was only released not long ago, it can only become better, Multiplayer is a blast, even Single player the gameplay itself is exciting and fun.

One of my all time favs for Multiplayer however is the first Deux Ex, loved the multiplayer in that game and even today that graphics are not really bad at all.
                        No, you cannot have my signature, unless you pay me. I am famous you know.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dllfile
                          Personally IMO F.E.A.R. has much better overall gameplay, also keep in mind there is not alot of mods out yet for the game as it was only released not long ago, it can only become better, Multiplayer is a blast, even Single player the gameplay itself is exciting and fun.
                          "Even" singleplayer? That's all there is if you want plot and scarry moments.

Comment

It seems like this Jack Thompson thread has turned in to a scary game thread.

Personally i didn't like F.E.A.R at all, though I only tried the mp/sp demo. The singleplayer was "OK", but i didn't like the multiplayer part at all.
                            And I don't buy game for the singleplayer part, I'm buying games mostly for the online play.
                            I didn't like DOOM 3 either, I guess that I don't like games that there are a risk you shit in your pants all the time.

I like classic shoters like the quake series, I really liked Q4,
                            although I didn't like the multiplayer part as much as I like the Q3 multiplayer part.

Comment

Well,i think that the problem in USA is that people tend to blame other people for their own faults.Canada,Germany,Japan ...etc., all have videogames and they dont have such problems.
                              Some principals/teachers in the US kicked a few kids - one of them because he simulated A CHICKEN LEG as a GUN! (Bowling for columbine anyone?) this is just ridiculous.

Its easier to blame other people or entities for your own errors.
                              But tell me,how many lawyers did they make a lawsuit against NRA and then be so popular in the media ???
                              Anyway my point is:
                              I totaly agree with you Hakira... i think this lawyer wants to JUSTIFY what violent youths are doing.This is NOT helping but postponing the inevitable (inevitable being because of the wrong approach of this problem)

Do i make any sense ?

Comment

I hope you watch original untranslated (in Japanese) anime? Because the dubbed versions suck big time.
                                Yes, I only watch fansubs... I own a few on DVD but most of my colection is on fansubs...

Also, Im on a ATI Radeon 9800xt pro and it gets fine FPS in Doom 3, I think I pull off about 60 FPS in ultra mode... (note: ultra mode basicly rapes the video card, You are definitly going to need a relpacement heatsink, Im running a Arctic Cool Silencer 3....)

Originally Posted by Dllfile
                                One of my all time favs for Multiplayer however is the first Deux Ex, loved the multiplayer in that game and even today that graphics are not really bad at all.
                                heh, Deux EX... oh is that game the baine of my existence... I thikn that it is the only game that I have never beat the Single Player mode.. actuly I dont think I have ever gotten off Liberty Island

Originally Posted by Methadon
                                I didn't like DOOM 3 either, I guess that I don't like games that there are a risk you shit in your pants all the time.
                                Aww come on you got to love a game that everytime you sit down to play it you have to get a new pair of underware...

Comment

Working...
                                X