Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: The Sony Rootkits Story Continues in Court.

Default ...

Stewart Baker newly appointed Assitant Secretary for Policy for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said (warning Sony)
    It's very important to remember that it's your intellectual property -- it's not your computer
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by Underheaven
    Stewart Baker newly appointed Assitant Secretary for Policy for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said (warning Sony)
    Yes, The US is going to take on sony... It actualy from a few of my friends that work for the goverment, say that this root kit problem gave a few of thier admins a real scare.. Just think about it, Things that are close to undetectable on goverment machines, Thats just bad, very , very bad...

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by Hakira
    While someone online will sell you a peice of the candy bar for free.
    The above statment is what is commonly refered to as a paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakira
    Yes, The US is going to take on sony... It actualy from a few of my friends that work for the goverment, say that this root kit problem gave a few of thier admins a real scare.. Just think about it, Things that are close to undetectable on goverment machines, Thats just bad, very , very bad...
    If true, those "admins" should be fired and charged for infecting those Government machines. Alas I don't buy that anyway. Proper US Government systems are protected in many ways including proprietary software and they would NOT install music CD's or games. You should know that!! And in many cases would not even have CD/DVD drives on the end user's machines, thus called workstations, with station being the operative word.

Do you realise that for example the C.I.A. uses and manufactures their own CPU's and other hardware ? They do NOT rely on Intel or AMD or whoever. Let's give the world's "only remaining superpower" a little bit more credit, eh ?!

PS: A local municipal library in Arizona, where Harry the "admin" installed some music CD's does not a US Goverment constitute.
    Last edited by ß : 12.11.2005 at 10:25

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by ß
    If true, those "admins" shoul be fired for infecting those Government machines. Alas I don't buy that anyway. Proper US Government systems are protected in many ways including proprietary software and they would NOT install music CD's or games. You should know that!! Do you realise that for example the C.I.A. uses and manufactures their own CPU's and other hardware ? They do NOT rely on Intel or AMD or whoever.
    Ok, its not the admins that installed it, its the users and what I was saying is midlevel employes where at fault, so basicly paper pushers...

And Umm hate to break it to you but, most divitions use practicly off the self systems.... The only diffrence is that the software they use... as far as I know, the CIA is the same... what you say would be true from the '60 - '90. I dont however know what the NSA uses.

Default ...

I agree with Hakira that U.S. government systems are vulnerable to infection by Sony's music cds. I would guess most agencies that don't have 'security' in the first few paragraphs of their charter/description.
    Last edited by Underheaven : 13.11.2005 at 07:34
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Default If anyone has run the official XCP uninstaller

If anyone has run the official XCP uninstaller:
    UPDATE: If youre technically sophisticated, and you have run the XCP uninstaller on your computer, you may be able to help us in our investigations. It wont take long. Please contact Alex to volunteer. Thanks.
    webpage url:
    freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=926
    Last edited by Underheaven : 15.11.2005 at 07:42

XCP sucks, because it can intendedly make corrupted CDs so that your PC can't recognise them!!!

There's already a web site that has declared some CDs as corrupted, because of being unreadable in PC CD drives.

Experienced User

Sony has started to recall the cds with the protection.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4441928.stm

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by al1uk
    Sony has started to recall the cds with the protection.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4441928.stm
    hehe, sonys loseing big with all of this DRM buil S***... Serves them right..

Default ...

Well it seems Sony requires you to install an ActiveX program before starting the uninstall.
    1. You fill out an uninstall request on Sony’s web site.

2. Sony sends you an email with a link to a second request form. When you follow this link, Sony’s site automatically installs a piece of software–an ActiveX control created by First4Internet–called CodeSupport.

3. After delay, Sony sends another email with a link to a third web page that removes the copy protection software. However, the CodeSupport component remains on your computer indefinitely.

Due to a serious design flaw, the CodeSupport component allows any web site you visit to download and run software on your computer. A malicious web site author can write an evil program, package up that program appropriately, put the packaged code at some URL, and then write a web page that causes CodeSupport to download and run code from that URL.
    webpage url:
    http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=928
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast