Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: The Sony Rootkits Story Continues in Court.

Experienced User

Default The Sony Rootkits Story Continues in Court.

The company is being sued by Electronic Frontiers Italy.
    Read about it here.

Ha!!! SONY gets burned - serves them right!

Experienced User

They really deserved this, let's just hope that more suings are on they way.

Wold be even nicer if someone turns this around to create a big pitfall for the **AAs as well. Unfair business practices to keep their sales up? let's see their sales this time next year :P

Experienced User

Im just hopeing someone in the US will bring this suite. Unfortunily there isnt any one that would like to take on the R**A on because they have some unlimited source of money... It keeps on going and going.... Sooner or later it has to come to a stop and they will be bankrupt, Then we will all be happy!

Experienced User

Its quite surprising that a repuatable company like Sony, would stoop lower then Starforce. At least with Starforce, the uninstaller is available, although it might be hard to find, and they don't use rootkits. I'm no Starforce fan, but I've gotta say that what Sony did is really shite.

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by al1uk
    Its quite surprising that a repuatable company like Sony, would stoop lower then Starforce. At least with Starforce, the uninstaller is available, although it might be hard to find, and they don't use rootkits. I'm no Starforce fan, but I've gotta say that what Sony did is really shite.
    Oh, I agree with you 100%, Sony should have looked into what they purchased for a DRM better. If they saw it was that intrusive their legal department might have been able to advise them of not doing it, but like all over grown companys they tend to look at everything in dollars, The risk of someone finding what they where doing was less than what it would soposivly save them money.

Although, DRM in general is a bad practic, its like saying Ill sell you this candy bar for $2.50, but you can only take 3 bites out of it. While someone online will sell you a peice of the candy bar for free.

In my opion its better to leave things like they where 4 years ago when napster was still around. Hell untill they went after Napster and all the look-alikes, I read statistic that thier profits where double of what they use to be... and again here comes a company with $$$ in there eyes and trys to take down what people relyed on. All they accomplished was to piss people off, and in the next year their profits where cut in almost a quarter of what they were projected to be. And then they go to blame music piracy on what caused their profits to drop. All they ended up doing was advertising for P2P file shareing groups and such. Along with that they aleanted people who now refuse to purchase any CDs and will pull off all their stuff of ether Itunes or the P2P file groups. If they had left it alone they probly would have had a greater profit in just leting napster run its course.

And what I find funny is that Software Piracy isnt realy prosicuted unless its on a large scale. a 30 dollar game / APP isnt worth a $3,000,000 law suite agenst a 12 year old girl..

Experienced User

Antivirus Firms Take On Sony DRM.
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Anti...DRM/1131641594

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by Methadon

Holy hell, some how they draged microsoft in on the whole DRM root kit thing... I like how alot of viral companys have labled it a malware app! Go power of the people...

Hehe, the US got in on it to

FINALY, Sony getting what it deserves for shit software....
    Last edited by Hakira : 11.11.2005 at 09:22

Experienced User

Following a week of consumer pressure, Sony BMG is backing away from its controversial CD copy-protection software, which installs a rootkit to prevent the DRM from being removed and potentially opens the door for security vulnerabilities. The label will stop making CDs that use the technology, known as XCP.
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Sony...DRM/1131735499

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast