Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sony Rootkits Story Continues in Court.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sony Rootkits Story Continues in Court.

The company is being sued by Electronic Frontiers Italy.
    Read about it here.

Ha!!! SONY gets burned - serves them right!
    http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

They really deserved this, let's just hope that more suings are on they way.

Comment

Wold be even nicer if someone turns this around to create a big pitfall for the **AAs as well. Unfair business practices to keep their sales up? let's see their sales this time next year :P
        http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

Im just hopeing someone in the US will bring this suite. Unfortunily there isnt any one that would like to take on the R**A on because they have some unlimited source of money... It keeps on going and going.... Sooner or later it has to come to a stop and they will be bankrupt, Then we will all be happy!

Comment

Its quite surprising that a repuatable company like Sony, would stoop lower then Starforce. At least with Starforce, the uninstaller is available, although it might be hard to find, and they don't use rootkits. I'm no Starforce fan, but I've gotta say that what Sony did is really shite.

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
              Its quite surprising that a repuatable company like Sony, would stoop lower then Starforce. At least with Starforce, the uninstaller is available, although it might be hard to find, and they don't use rootkits. I'm no Starforce fan, but I've gotta say that what Sony did is really shite.
              Oh, I agree with you 100%, Sony should have looked into what they purchased for a DRM better. If they saw it was that intrusive their legal department might have been able to advise them of not doing it, but like all over grown companys they tend to look at everything in dollars, The risk of someone finding what they where doing was less than what it would soposivly save them money.

Although, DRM in general is a bad practic, its like saying Ill sell you this candy bar for $2.50, but you can only take 3 bites out of it. While someone online will sell you a peice of the candy bar for free.

In my opion its better to leave things like they where 4 years ago when napster was still around. Hell untill they went after Napster and all the look-alikes, I read statistic that thier profits where double of what they use to be... and again here comes a company with $$$ in there eyes and trys to take down what people relyed on. All they accomplished was to piss people off, and in the next year their profits where cut in almost a quarter of what they were projected to be. And then they go to blame music piracy on what caused their profits to drop. All they ended up doing was advertising for P2P file shareing groups and such. Along with that they aleanted people who now refuse to purchase any CDs and will pull off all their stuff of ether Itunes or the P2P file groups. If they had left it alone they probly would have had a greater profit in just leting napster run its course.

And what I find funny is that Software Piracy isnt realy prosicuted unless its on a large scale. a 30 dollar game / APP isnt worth a $3,000,000 law suite agenst a 12 year old girl..

Comment

Antivirus Firms Take On Sony DRM.
                With the recent discovery of Sony’s “rootkit” DRM shipping on over 20 CDs and the surrounding backlash from consumers online and off, antivirus vendors must now answer a delicate …

Comment

Originally Posted by Methadon

Holy hell, some how they draged microsoft in on the whole DRM root kit thing... I like how alot of viral companys have labled it a malware app! Go power of the people...

Hehe, the US got in on it to

FINALY, Sony getting what it deserves for shit software....
                  Last edited by Hakira; 11.11.2005, 10:22.

Comment

Following a week of consumer pressure, Sony BMG is backing away from its controversial CD copy-protection software, which installs a rootkit to prevent the DRM from being removed and potentially opens the door for security vulnerabilities. The label will stop making CDs that use the technology, known as XCP.
                    Following a week of consumer pressure, Sony BMG is backing away from its controversial CD copy-protection software, which installs a rootkit to prevent the DRM from being removed and potentially op…

Comment

Stewart Baker newly appointed Assitant Secretary for Policy for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said (warning Sony)
                      It's very important to remember that it's your intellectual property -- it's not your computer
                      the modern world:
                      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
                        Stewart Baker newly appointed Assitant Secretary for Policy for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said (warning Sony)
                        Yes, The US is going to take on sony... It actualy from a few of my friends that work for the goverment, say that this root kit problem gave a few of thier admins a real scare.. Just think about it, Things that are close to undetectable on goverment machines, Thats just bad, very , very bad...

Comment

Originally Posted by Hakira
                          While someone online will sell you a peice of the candy bar for free.
                          The above statment is what is commonly refered to as a paradox.

Originally Posted by Hakira
                          Yes, The US is going to take on sony... It actualy from a few of my friends that work for the goverment, say that this root kit problem gave a few of thier admins a real scare.. Just think about it, Things that are close to undetectable on goverment machines, Thats just bad, very , very bad...
                          If true, those "admins" should be fired and charged for infecting those Government machines. Alas I don't buy that anyway. Proper US Government systems are protected in many ways including proprietary software and they would NOT install music CD's or games. You should know that!! And in many cases would not even have CD/DVD drives on the end user's machines, thus called workstations, with station being the operative word.

Do you realise that for example the C.I.A. uses and manufactures their own CPU's and other hardware ? They do NOT rely on Intel or AMD or whoever. Let's give the world's "only remaining superpower" a little bit more credit, eh ?!

PS: A local municipal library in Arizona, where Harry the "admin" installed some music CD's does not a US Goverment constitute.
                          Last edited by ß; 12.11.2005, 11:25.

Comment

Originally Posted by ß
                            If true, those "admins" shoul be fired for infecting those Government machines. Alas I don't buy that anyway. Proper US Government systems are protected in many ways including proprietary software and they would NOT install music CD's or games. You should know that!! Do you realise that for example the C.I.A. uses and manufactures their own CPU's and other hardware ? They do NOT rely on Intel or AMD or whoever.
                            Ok, its not the admins that installed it, its the users and what I was saying is midlevel employes where at fault, so basicly paper pushers...

And Umm hate to break it to you but, most divitions use practicly off the self systems.... The only diffrence is that the software they use... as far as I know, the CIA is the same... what you say would be true from the '60 - '90. I dont however know what the NSA uses.

Comment

I agree with Hakira that U.S. government systems are vulnerable to infection by Sony's music cds. I would guess most agencies that don't have 'security' in the first few paragraphs of their charter/description.
                              Last edited by Underheaven; 13.11.2005, 08:34.
                              the modern world:
                              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                              X