RAM Upgrade Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm maybe try a BIOS-update???
    And something else. Like the types of RAM.
    It's just the speed on which the RAM is working.

Comment

I'll repost what I said earlier if this works....do I have to have approval to post? Some of the above posters are confusing their information...I'd really like to correct them...

Comment

Since your RAM Timings in the BIOS were on manual, you were overriding the settings and actually DOWN-clocking your RAM. When you put it on Auto the BIOS auto-detected the correct RAM timings from the SPD built into the modules themselves..those new timings are the correct timings. The RAM you want to buy is DDR PC3200 (400MHz) with a CAS Latency of 2.5.

You'll want to try to match the speed and cas rating to minimize compatibility problems. If you can match these two values it is highly unlikely anything will "blow up".

Comment

Phalkon, I see your previous post, and I agree with you - I forgot aluk had changed the settings in the BIOS, but every thing else you mentioned is correct.

Except:

Everest shows slot 2 and 4 being used - so I am *assuming* that slots 1 and 3 are open.
          http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

When I turn my pc on, POST tell me my RAM frequency is 400mhz. the only reason i noticed is 'cos i was looking for it .
            @phalkon30: yes, i have two spare slots, and i plan on putting them in myself. my pc was custom built from parts, and i already know where to buy my RAM from If your interested, this is my mobo. (for some reason, the pics only show up in Internet Explorer)

@Dima_2005: I already have the latest BIOS update, so no issues there

@johngalt: actually, slots 1&3 are being used. according to my mobo manual, slots 1&3 are one bank, and slots 2&4 are another, Everest got this right: screenshot

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
              Can someone just explain what type of RAM i have, and what I need to say to the salesman to get the right choice.
              All you need to know is whether your mainboard takes DDR modules. I assume it does. Speed doesn't matter. Just buy PC3200 RAM (400MHz). It is compatible with boards that run on an 133MHz FSB. You can also mix 400MHz with 266MHz RAM, no problem; both can run at 266MHz.

If you want to be 120% sure, just visit the mainboard manufacturer's site and take a look at the specs. Usually though, you can buy PC3200 DDR, plug it in, and be done.

EDIT:
              I forgot to mention that if your board can do the "dual channel DDR" thingy, then you'll need pairs of identical modules. If they don't match, the board runs, but dual channel won't be activated. You just take the module with you, go the shop, and say "I need another one of THIS".
              Last edited by Nikos; 09.11.2005, 15:36.
              To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

what I do if I am unsure is, take my computer to the salesman and let him find out! if he blows somethin' up, it's his fault and will have to pay the damage! don't take ANY chances if you don't have to!

Greetz, good luck!
                A women is like a hurricane, it start wet and heavy and when it's over you've lost your house

Comment

Originally Posted by Eight-8all
                  what I do if I am unsure is, take my computer to the salesman and let him find out! if he blows somethin' up, it's his fault and will have to pay the damage! don't take ANY chances if you don't have to!

Greetz, good luck!
                  good philosophy.
                  just be aware that you already have 2 sticks of ram running in dual channel. you will either want to buy two more sticks of ram or replace those two 256mb ddr 3200 sticks with 512's or 1gb's.

the reason i say this is that if you add just one stick, it will either ...
                  A. not work at all
                  B. run in single channel mode (which sux)

if you plan on adding (total of 4), just remember to get ram of the same type... if possible same brand. The two that you buy have to be the same size, but they can be larger than your original sticks (so 2 x 512 and your current 2 x 256 should work or you can do 4 x 256) just make sure the two u buy are identical
                  Athlon X2 3800
                  2gb DDR400
                  6800nu -> 16x6
                  2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Comment

You should at least tell us what processor and what
                    mainboard u use.

1. Research what RAM is best for your Mainboard

2. SPD is not automatically using the correct speeds
                    a lot of ram have crap SPD info, so for 3200 set the ram
                    speed manually to 200 mhz and synchronous (depending
                    on your chipset of course)
                    According to the timings (advanced tweaks) u should
                    research about ur ram what chips it uses . If thats beyond
                    your reach stick with the OPTIMAL setting if the bios offers
                    it.
                    Guys vote for the threads you read to give
                    the rating system a place to live ^^

Comment

Working...
                    X