RAM Upgrade Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Upgrade Help

I want to upgrade my RAM, but the thing is that I need to know what frequency it is running at, 'cos according to the manual, the frequencies need to be the same. So I ran CPUz, which didn't help much. (screen1)

I went to my BIOS, found an option for RAM Frequency, set it to Auto. Booted back into Windows, ran CPUz again, and it gives me this *note the differences between the frequencies*
    I'm confused as to what the actual frequency my ram is. it has to be either 400, 333, or 266, according to my manual. Also, higher frequency is better, right?? Any help appreiciated.

www.lavalys.com - Everest Home Edition.

It will give you details about your hardware, software, etc...

Including your RAM - and the manufacturer, etc - so you can get a matched set, if needed.
    http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

According to your first screenshot, you are running 133MHz (266MHz effective ... remember it's DDR). 266MHz <=> PC2100

However, you are running a 3:2 ratio, which is very odd unless you are overclocking.

When you set your BIOS to "Auto" for RAM, it actually reads the SPD on the RAM Modules themselves for the proper timings. More than likely, *these* are your true timings. Notice the 1:1 ratio, which is normal.

In this case, your current RAM is actually running at 400MHz or PC3200.

Comment

Everest tells me that I've got "DIMM1: 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM, DIMM3: 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM." What is the correct frequency, 400, 333 or 266. Also memory speed is "PC3200 (200 MHz)."

Comment

Originally Posted by johngalt
          www.lavalys.com - Everest Home Edition.

It will give you details about your hardware, software, etc...

Including your RAM - and the manufacturer, etc - so you can get a matched set, if needed.
          I hate that program!

This is going to sound weard but when I start that program my hardware monitor is going crazy.
          All my fans just stops and the voltage just keep raising.
          And this isn't just some bug in my hardware monitor program (Asus Probe), I have tried others like SpeedFan and they all say the same.

I'm telling you, that software (Everest) is the devil!

Comment

PC 3200 = 400Mhz so u must buy 400Mhz Ram
            I am your father

Comment

Try to take out the RAM and look. Maybe if you're lucky you'll see the specs.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dima_2005
                Try to take out the RAM and look. Maybe if you're lucky you'll see the specs.
                LOL! You can't be serious about that!?

Comment

No really when I bought my RAM I had a sticker on my RAM

Comment

Can please interpret this for me and tell me what type of ram I have. I recieved an email that Dvation wrote a post, but for some reason it hasnt shown up. (probably has to be checked by a mod) This is it:
                    Originally Posted by Dvation
                    According to your first screenshot, you are running 133MHz (266MHz effective ...remember it's DDR). 266MHz <=> PC2100

However, you are running a 3:2 ratio, which is very odd unless you are overclocking.

When you set your BIOS to "Auto" for RAM, it actually reads the SPD on the RAM
                    Modules themselves for the proper timings. More than likely, *these* are your true timings. Notice the 1:1 ratio, which is normal.

In this case, your current RAM is actually running at 400MHz or PC3200.
                    Can someone just explain what type of RAM i have, and what I need to say to the salesman to get the right choice. Would "DDR PC3200 DDR SDRAM" be okay?? The reason im being extra careful is cos last time I bought RAM, when I was computer illiterate, I got the wrong type, and it blew up. but ive matured since then.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dima_2005
                      No really when I bought my RAM I had a sticker on my RAM
                      Aha, you had a little note on the RAM.
                      I thought you meant that it was written or something on the RAM.
                      Originally Posted by al1uk
                      Can someone just explain what type of RAM i have, and what I need to say to the salesman to get the right choice. Would "DDR PC3200 DDR SDRAM" be okay?? The reason im being extra careful is cos last time I bought RAM, when I was computer illiterate, I got the wrong type, and it blew up. but ive matured since then.
                      Yes that would be ok if you say that, because that is the type of RAM that you've got know.
                      You can also check in your motherboard manual, there it should be some kind of info of what type of RAM that works with your motherboard.
                      Last edited by Methadon; 08.11.2005, 21:14.

Comment

I see DVations post now.

However, I am thrown for a loop - because CPU-Z says you are running 3:2 ratio, with 2.5 / 2 / 2 / 6 timings, whereas Everest shows you running 2.5 / 3 / 3 / 8 timings.

But, since it *does* say PC3200, I would look for that. Both your modules seem to be equivalent, so....
                        http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

Cpuz said you had that 3:2 ratio before you corrected your speed. (btw, by changing that option you probably sped up your system a good bit).

Currently you have 2 sticks of DDR-SDRAM (AKA DDR). Both are PC3200 (400mhz, it shows 200mhz because DDR doubles the speed, aka Double Data Rate). It looks like your latencies are 2.5-3-3-8. While this shouldn't matter too much when buying ram, you may want to tell the store that you need Cl2.5 memory, not cl3.

Before you buy more RAM, do you have another slot? Some OEM motherboards (such as computers from Dell, gateway, etc) only have 2 RAM slots, in which case you would have to remove one of your current sticks to upgrade.

If you don't want to remove the side of the case to find out how many sticks you have, post your motherboard model (the everst program should be able to tell you that).

Also, do you plan on isntalling the RAM yourself, or letting a PC store do it for you? If you plan to install it yourself, save some money and buy the RAM online. I can help you pick out some RAM that should work for you.

Comment

Originally Posted by johngalt
                            I see DVations post now.

However, I am thrown for a loop - because CPU-Z says you are running 3:2 ratio, with 2.5 / 2 / 2 / 6 timings, whereas Everest shows you running 2.5 / 3 / 3 / 8 timings.

But, since it *does* say PC3200, I would look for that. Both your modules seem to be equivalent, so....
                            I changed the RAM frequency in the BIOS to Auto, I thinks that whats got you. It was 266 before.

Comment

Originally Posted by Methadon
                              You can also check in your motherboard manual, there it should be some kind of info of what type of RAM that works with your motherboard.
                              My mobo manual says either 400, 333 or 266. But I wanna match my current frequency which is why I posted this thread. I reckon I should be alright now, and I'll have a look at my RAM stick to check any info. Cheers everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X