Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Okay, I have the Age of Empires III game and I want to make a backup copy on the computer. Can anyone help walk me through the steps to doing this?

Just use Alcohol 120% to create an Image of the game.
    You can download a free trial of the software here

Comment

Kitna / Smarte

Here's a quote for you
      Originally Posted by Kitna
      It uses Smarte.
      Rip the image with Alcohol 120%'s SafeDisc profile but untick "Fast skip error blocks". Leave "Skip read errors" ticked.
      Burn with the SafeDisc profile.

----
      DEATH_GOD_X: Is that a sure method solution for bypassing that protection?
      Kitna: Yes
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
        Here's a quote for you
        But he want's "a backup copy on the computer", I don't know if he want to emulate it or burn it.
        But if he wants to emulate it, that method will probably not work. It will only work for burning.

If he want it to work for emulating he should just create the image in Alcohol using the "General Protected CD" profile.
        Last edited by Methadon; 09.11.2005, 05:25.

Comment

Originally Posted by Methadon
          But he want's "a backup copy on the computer", I don't know if he want to emulate it or burn it.
          But if he wants to emulate it, that method will probably not work. It will only work for burning.

If he want it to work for emulating he should just create the image in Alcohol using the "General Protected CD" profile.
          It may not work using that profile.
          Sometimes with Smarte if you have "Fast skip error blocks" ticked the image doesn't work.
          Smarte is very particular about it's bad sectors.
          Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

It may not work using that profile.
            Sometimes with Smarte if you have "Fast skip error blocks" ticked the image doesn't work.
            Smarte is very particular about it's bad sectors.
            Well, I have read that it does work, haven't read anything about that it doesn't work.
            Tough I cant be 100% sure about this, because I don't got the game.
            Last edited by Methadon; 09.11.2005, 05:51.

Comment

Smarte / disable 'Fast skip error blocks'

Yea, "Fast skip error blocks" I suppose is really for impatient people. With a Toshiba DVD-ROM you don't even think about checking that setting.
              Last edited by Underheaven; 09.11.2005, 05:53.
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
                Yea, "Fast skip error blocks" I suppose is really for impatient people. With a Toshiba DVD-ROM you don't even think about checking that setting. Sorry for quoting that 'sure method' part Kitna, that's a sure way of asking to be proved wrong.
                That's ok, I am 100% sure.
                Well, I have read that it does work, haven't read anything about that it doesn't work.
                Tough I cant be 100% sure about this, because I don't got the game.
                Well, now you have read somewhere that it doesn't always work.

Comment

Well, now you have read somewhere that it doesn't always work.
                  I didn't really understand, have you tried to mount it using the "General Protected CD" profile to create the image?
                  Last edited by Methadon; 09.11.2005, 06:05.

Comment

Heh, Kitna I am 100% sure too!!

I didn't realize you were talking about the the opposite of what I thought I was reading. I edited out my last few lines but not before you saw my silly comment.

--
                    edit: Methadon, about your comment above this one. Kitna and I are just saying that it may sometimes work and mount just fine. We could try and mount an image of a Smarte-protected disc created using your instructions but it wouldn't work with all discs and cd readers, whereas kitna's way would work a lot better.

p.s. for anyone trying to follow this thread. Summary: Kitna and I say turn off 'Fast skip error blocks' and Methadon says it should not matter.
                    Last edited by Underheaven; 09.11.2005, 06:09.
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I didn't really understand, have you tried to mount it using the "General Protected CD" profile to create the image?
                      As Underheaven and I are saying, this should work, but sometimes doesn't.
                      However using the method I suggest it will work.

Cheers

Comment

As Underheaven and I are saying, this should work, but sometimes doesn't.
                        However using the method I suggest it will work.

Cheers
                        Ok, now I understand what you meant.

Comment

Working...
                        X