Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: How often do you reinstall your OS???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How often do you reinstall your OS???

Hi!
    I just wanna know how often one reinstalls his/her Operating System, whatever that may be.
    So, mother goose has been messin' around in your egg salad, huh kid?

Experienced User

I do it around every other month, it is not a rutin that I've got.
    I guess I just like a new fresh OS install, everything runs so smooth and nice.

On my C drive I only have my OS and my software installed, I doesn't store anything else there.
    I just copy my software configs and my bookmarks to another disc, that's all I need.

Same here. I usually don't copy any of my bookmarks. Don't know why, I just don't do it. I should do that. Only the installed OS and that's it. Fresh install: format partition and kabuum, new OS in 15 min! Sometimes I use DriveImage or Norton Ghsot(same thing really).
    So, mother goose has been messin' around in your egg salad, huh kid?

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by kukubau
    Same here. I usually don't copy any of my bookmarks. Don't know why, I just don't do it. I should do that.
    Without my browser bookmarks I would be totaly lost on the net.

Experienced User

Only when the OS is screwed. My pc is a family computer , so I can't do it regularly. Even if i could, i wouldn't. too much hassle, installing everything. only 1 hd is worth using in my pc, my other hd is too slow to copy all our work and stuff.

Last time - after I've changed motherboard. It's not a big deal to reinstall OS, but installation and configuration of all other software requires too much time.

I don't do it monthly but often, all 3-4 months.
    Windows gets so slow if you have much apps installed and after 3-4 months there are always other problems with windows.
    After reinstalling it works very fine.
    I've also only windows and the installed apps on C:, on D: there are "My Files"(documents, music, installations of apps....) and on my external i've my images and some games installed.
    So it takes not much time to reinstall and renconfigurate windows.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kukubau
    Hi!
    I just wanna know how often one reinstalls his/her Operating System, whatever that may be.
    Two or three years. I do often a total backup image before and after doing important changes / installation and I do daily backup of important file / configuration settings.

So when something goes wrong (sometimes happen) I simply restore the backup image (20 minutes top) and I restore the needed/changed files form the daily backup (5-10 minutes).

30-45 minutes top to be back exactly where I was the day before a total disaster.

Experienced User

I reinstall it about all 2-3 months.
    But not really from scratch, using a TrueImage (Really a nice programm) Backup of WindowsXP incl the Fixes available makes it a bit faster.
    Drivers and Programms all from Scratch, so only the really needed ones are installed.

Wow, memorizing your windows cd key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast