Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you reinstall your OS???

Hi!
    I just wanna know how often one reinstalls his/her Operating System, whatever that may be.
    So, mother goose has been messin' around in your egg salad, huh kid?

I do it around every other month, it is not a rutin that I've got.
    I guess I just like a new fresh OS install, everything runs so smooth and nice.

On my C drive I only have my OS and my software installed, I doesn't store anything else there.
    I just copy my software configs and my bookmarks to another disc, that's all I need.

Comment

Same here. I usually don't copy any of my bookmarks. Don't know why, I just don't do it. I should do that. Only the installed OS and that's it. Fresh install: format partition and kabuum, new OS in 15 min! Sometimes I use DriveImage or Norton Ghsot(same thing really).
      So, mother goose has been messin' around in your egg salad, huh kid?

Comment

Originally Posted by kukubau
        Same here. I usually don't copy any of my bookmarks. Don't know why, I just don't do it. I should do that.
        Without my browser bookmarks I would be totaly lost on the net.

Comment

Only when the OS is screwed. My pc is a family computer , so I can't do it regularly. Even if i could, i wouldn't. too much hassle, installing everything. only 1 hd is worth using in my pc, my other hd is too slow to copy all our work and stuff.

Comment

Last time - after I've changed motherboard. It's not a big deal to reinstall OS, but installation and configuration of all other software requires too much time.

Comment

I don't do it monthly but often, all 3-4 months.
              Windows gets so slow if you have much apps installed and after 3-4 months there are always other problems with windows.
              After reinstalling it works very fine.
              I've also only windows and the installed apps on C:, on D: there are "My Files"(documents, music, installations of apps....) and on my external i've my images and some games installed.
              So it takes not much time to reinstall and renconfigurate windows.
              Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

The less the better... and usually when I have to reinstall, I reinstall 3 OS : 2 xp 32b (one for burning & imaging, and one for leisure) and one 64b (work). I hope vista will solve that sort of problem (M$ said it will... wait and see )
                Carpe diem

Comment

Re: how often backup?

I haven't reinstalled since 2003. I make regular backups. Maybe you should ask how often do I restore my OS? I'd say about every 6 months. However I just had a hard drive failure so I'm in the process of going through all my files.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Depends on if the system is having probs, unstable, or seems slow and any tweaks I have applied after going back and trying to "re-tweak" it as well as do automated cleanups using batch files ect.., if it still just seems a bit on the slow side, I just pop in my custom restore disk made with DriveImage. and in a couple mins, back to how I had it when I first installed cept minus the sound and video drivers This way I can choose to install a fresh clean driver install.

I use another PC to store anything I want to keep such as bookmarks, ect.. Then its as simple as copying back over once I get the OS Restored and drivers installed. System is already pre-tweaked, cept drivers like nVidia of course.

All in All roughly 10 mins and I am back to a fresh install with drivers.

Then comes the longer part, deciding what programs I want to install or what games.

Lately, I have been doing it once a month the past few months now, but normally, 3-4 months.
                    No, you cannot have my signature, unless you pay me. I am famous you know.

Comment

i do mine about every 2 months only really because i try something i really know in the back of my mind is going to balls everything up but thats how we learn.on my main drive i only run os and software everything else gos on to another drive..unless i get the erg to try it there and then.thats normaly whan the reinstall comes in.
                      AMD athlon(tm)64 processor 3400+
                      gigabyte nforce3 motherboard
                      1536mb DDR-SDRAM kingston
                      nvidia geforce 6600 le
                      maxtor 80gb hard drive
                      maxtor 160gb hard drive
                      samsung 120gb hard drive
                      samsung 120gb hard drive
                      lg multi dvd/cd rewriter
                      sony dvd rw
                      creative sb live 5.1
                      happauge wintv
                      win xp pro sp2
                      do not Underestimate what you cannot see or the Power of Human Stupidity

Comment

I only re-install when I am absolutely forced to do so, that has ranged from 2 weeks to 2 years between re-installs.

Comment

oooo this is a great question. Everyone thinks I'm nuts. I collect so much crap on my computer between my addiction to GordianKnot and video games that I loose track of everything. I do it about once a month, sometimes twice a month if it really gets bad. I recently started ghosting my machine, because I'm tired of going through the install process. To give you an idea of how often I do it, I know my install key by heart!

Comment

Originally Posted by kukubau
                            Hi!
                            I just wanna know how often one reinstalls his/her Operating System, whatever that may be.
                            Two or three years. I do often a total backup image before and after doing important changes / installation and I do daily backup of important file / configuration settings.

So when something goes wrong (sometimes happen) I simply restore the backup image (20 minutes top) and I restore the needed/changed files form the daily backup (5-10 minutes).

30-45 minutes top to be back exactly where I was the day before a total disaster.

Comment

I reinstall it about all 2-3 months.
                              But not really from scratch, using a TrueImage (Really a nice programm) Backup of WindowsXP incl the Fixes available makes it a bit faster.
                              Drivers and Programms all from Scratch, so only the really needed ones are installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X