No announcement yet.

Recommend a Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally made up mind, i went for this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...GP_Series.html
    Scroll to the one right at the bottom, product code: PVT43AUDF6

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
      I finally made up mind, i went for this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...GP_Series.html
      A good choice for that price. But I think you're going to somewhat regret it later on, since this card has only 128MB of VRAM. Newer games really need 256MB VRAM (and there are cards with 512MB).

But right now, this is a fine choice. In 6 or 10 months though, the games that will be released will suffer major texture lag.
      To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by vatras90
        In fact, you don't really notice if it's SM3 or SM2.1+ (without Splinter Cell 3)
        Does SC support PS 2.1? The original version supported only 1.1 and 3.0. A patch added 2.0 support. Was 2.1 actually supported? There might be a visual difference between 2.0 and 3.0, but AFAIK there's "only" a speed difference between 2.1 and 3.0. (Again: AFAIK )

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
          Does SC support PS 2.1? The original version supported only 1.1 and 3.0. A patch added 2.0 support. Was 2.1 actually supported? There might be a visual difference between 2.0 and 3.0, but AFAIK there's "only" a speed difference between 2.1 and 3.0. (Again: AFAIK )
          Nope, at least according to the readme,

Originally Posted by UBISOFT Splinter Cell Chaos Theory July 2005 README.TXT 1.05
          Q: I can't select anything but "Shader Model 1.1" in advanced graphics settings because the option is grayed out.

A: The game supports only Shader Model 1.1 and 3.0, so if your graphics card doesn't support Shader Model 3.0 it's not possible to enable it. Consult your graphics card retailer for information about which Shader Model your graphics card supports.
          No, you cannot have my signature, unless you pay me. I am famous you know.

Comment

One solution.

$200. 256 MB. ATI. You can't beat that bang for buck.

I bought it, and I LOVE it.
            Sa...omai shidai da na.

Comment

I bought an HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 XL ICEQII TURBO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) for Ј211 from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X800_Series.html - best bang for buck I've come across. Performance is fantastic

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
                A good choice for that price. But I think you're going to somewhat regret it later on, since this card has only 128MB of VRAM. Newer games really need 256MB VRAM (and there are cards with 512MB).
                The one i ordered is right at the bottem, look for the product code: PVT43AUDF6.

Comment

This article is a bit old, but very enlightening...
                  hxxp://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2004-27gpu2.html

Comment

The one i ordered is right at the bottem, look for the product code: PVT43AUDF6.
                    Oops. Somehow I thought it was a 128MB card.

Comment

Currently I've got a Geforce XFX 5200, really rubbish, and using 3d mark, I get results of around 265, with overclocking. My budget is around Ј150 (UK sterling). Some of you might think that too low, but as a university student, I need to survive the outragous university fees.
                      I've never been that interested in gaming, but with upcoming releases, I'm gonna need something new, and my Graphics card is the only outdated peice of hardware. Anyway, I ain't to clever with buying hardware, just look at my RAM post, and you'll understand.:wink: I need recommendations for cards that will survive a long time.
                      If that's 3D Mark 2005, I'm not majorly surprised. But if that's with 3D Mark 2001 SE, then you have a configuration problem!!! With 3D Mark 2001 SE, you shall get at least around the 7000s.

Comment

Nothing more than a 6600GT.........unless your interested in 3DMark scores!...........

Comment

The X800GTO is a fantastic card, has a chance to unlock extra pipes (the X800GTO2 is 100% unlockable). Also, the raw horsepower makes up for the lack of ps3 since ps3 is more optimisation based rather than visual.

also this thing with 128 or 256mb, by the time 256mb cards become standard. the newer version of dx will come out rendering cards obsolete. so don't make that the bulk of your choice. rather go for more speed.

i have a 6800 vanilla myself and could not be happier. unlocked extra pipes its sweet, and i would get a X800GTO/2 if i dind't have this card already.... since it's not much of an upgrade for me.
                          Athlon X2 3800
                          2gb DDR400
                          6800nu -> 16x6
                          2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Comment

it finally arrived. It came bundled with the usual stuff, as well a FarCry DVD Edition. My games look wicked, although i've only tested it on a few. i've been laying off the forums since it been so busy and been enjoying my games.
                            I've been playing FarCry, but it gives me a MASSIVE headache after 5 mins play. I think thats 'cos the camera swerves round a lot, i also noticed it playing FEAR demo.
                            I don't like games that use the mouse to control, and neither does my head :-(
                            I've a aching headache whilst writing this.

P.S. do the forum mods. have gaurenteed access to the forum at busy times, or do they have to reload the page like the rest of us.

Comment

Have to agree on the Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTOІ.

You won't find a better card for the money - Ј158 I paid for mine

It takes about 5 minutes to unlock the bios to unleash all 16 pipelines - wonderful...

From a standard X800 GT to a Fully Fledged X850XT, can't ask for more.

Mine is currently running at 16 pipelines, 543 (core) / 600 (memory) with the Arctic Cooling Rev.2 ATI 5. Very stable and very fast...

Benchmarked at 6109 in 3D Mark 2005

What a card...

For a full review and guide visit here

I can't recommend this card enough..
                              Earl Nightingale: "Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us"

Comment

I don't like games that use the mouse to control, and neither does my head :-(
                                I've a aching headache whilst writing this.
                                Cards like this are here to speed up exactly this kind of game. FPS (and other first-person games) are the most demanding ones. If you don't like these games, I wonder why you bought this card in the first place.

(Half-kidding, of course.)

Comment

Working...
                                X