No announcement yet.

Recommend a Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like games like Prince of Persia where the character is controlled by the keyboard, to much fast movement of the camera, and i get a headache

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
      I like games like Prince of Persia where the character is controlled by the keyboard, to much fast movement of the camera, and i get a headache
      some people get headaches from the "head bobbing" feature of some FPS games.

oh, and PoP is a great game
      clocked 1, 2, 3d, Sands of time and warrior within
      Athlon X2 3800
      2gb DDR400
      6800nu -> 16x6
      2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Comment

Looking to buy a new graphics card

hi im new to all this.

Im looking to buy a graphics card, and dont know what to go for AGP or PCI-E not dule GPU's

iv been looking at the X800 GTO PCI-E and other AGP cards and im stuck

i wanna play all the new games fear and call of duty 2

iv got Ј170 to spend and dont know what to get

some 1 please reconmend somthing, iv been looking for days and can make my mind up

cheers

Comment

check what type of slot you have, usually you can just check the motherboard retail box, but if not have a look inside. you can't have both pci-e and agp slots.
          AGP Slot: http://www.maximopc.org/imagenes/rev....agp.nb.sb.jpg

Pci-e: http://www.viaarena.com/images/articles/pcie%20002.jpg

i recently bought a 6600gt 256ram. its doin well for me.

Comment

I have 256 MB GeForce 6600 (without GT) and it does well for me. The GT version is faster than my. So it should do well for someone who has not enough money (like me, too)

Comment

I resently picked up a ati 9800xt 256mb agp8x gfx card. I thought this was suppose to be a badass card, but it has given me nothing but trouble. I think it must be defective because it has a horrible time with any type of directx9 light shading. I get all these white or red specs all over certain objects and paterns in games. Games like Doom 3 and Quake 4 run horrible, unless I'm on 640x400 resolution. F.E.A.R. has an option in the game to run all display drivers to revert to directx8 and after i set that up it runs about 200% better (30-35fps max) but still not up to par. And furthermore this is with a 1g of pc2700 ddr ram.

Just kinda pisses me off that I wasted $250 on that graphics card.

Comment

I use a 2-3 years old HIS 9600XT 256mo in my P4 3ghz, 2go ram. Most games run smooth with a 1024x768 resolution.

If it matters to you, I think that tv-outputs are far better on Ati cards than on nvidia ones. (It's an argument for me because I have connected the pc and the tv together so I can watch my divx movies on tv).

The only thing I regret with ati cards is that most game developpers seem to optimize their products for nvidia (you see nvidia logo : "the way it's meant to be played" on a lot of them)
                can someone confirm this?

Comment

Yes, I can confirm what _skip said, i have a radeon 9600pro and it works fine with most games. the tv-out just fantastic.
                  we can see the nvidia logo in a lot of games.
                  but we can see the Ati logo in Half-Life 2

Comment

Help!

Ok need a good response ASAP

I have a dell Dimension 4600 with 1.5 gig of ram and 3Ghz+ processor.

but a shit GFX card lol, i have an FX5200.

Now as i can currently tell i need an AGP slot so im buying this:
                    Sapphire Technology Radeon X800XL 256MB AGP DVI VO

Is it decent? is there summit better? (i want ATI not NIVIDEA because i run HL2)

How can i be sure i have AGP? ATM my graphics card seems to be slotted into a REALLY short green slot and 3 more slots under it of which 1 is used by what im guessing is my sound card

Comment

Originally Posted by HIBBLE
                      Ok need a good response ASAP

I have a dell Dimension 4600 with 1.5 gig of ram and 3Ghz+ processor.

but a shit GFX card lol, i have an FX5200.

Now as i can currently tell i need an AGP slot so im buying this:
                      Sapphire Technology Radeon X800XL 256MB AGP DVI VO

Is it decent? is there summit better? (i want ATI not NIVIDEA because i run HL2)

How can i be sure i have AGP? ATM my graphics card seems to be slotted into a REALLY short green slot and 3 more slots under it of which 1 is used by what im guessing is my sound card
                      I believe you have agp 4x.
                      You don't need ATI to run HL2 well...that's just marketing
                      I do love ATI though, I am running an X800 pro and it runs everything perfect as long as you have enough ram and processing power with it, which you seem to have. So thats a pretty good choice but I would probably get the X850 if I was currently buying a card. Don't think about the X1800 or anything else above the X850 unless you just have a crapload of money.

Comment

A french hardware site did great job comparing all the affordable GPU on the market by measuring the FPS rate in different games.

Here are the averages :

X800XL is an excellent choice but it's PCI-EXpress, not AGP.

Comment

where are the newer GPUs in this comparison?
                          nVIDIA GeForce 7xxx???
                          ATI Radeon X1xxx???
                          seems to be qiute outdated...
                          My sysProfile!

Comment

I like my GeForce 6600 with 256 MB RAM AGP.
                            It's now a low end card like GF 6200 or GF FX 5200 ... it's in the middle. I can play many games now with highest quality settings.

Comment

Originally Posted by LooDos
                              where are the newer GPUs in this comparison?
                              nVIDIA GeForce 7xxx???
                              ATI Radeon X1xxx???
                              seems to be qiute outdated...
                              Not that it is old, it only compares medium-level GPUs, with price ranging between 100 and 230 euros in stores.

Comment

@skip: and then what about the ATI Radeon X1600???
                                My sysProfile!

Comment

Working...
                                X