Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Do you think that there's going to be any freeware that does the same as Alcohol 120%

  1. #11

    Default

    Hi I'll try and answer your question a little more, too.

    You may have some limited success with ddump: http://www.geocities.com/ddumpfrontend/

    It's quite old, but it makes a fair copy of some discs. Don't expect it to work with the latest and "greatest" copy protections though. If you really can't buy Alcohol, BlindWrite and/or the other one (I forget) remember they EACH have 30-day trial periods...

    It looks like DT Pro will have an imaging option, so if you can only register one...

  2. #12
    Experienced User

    Kitna's Avatar
    Join Date
    24.02.2003
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos
    I don't see the connection with free software. I release my software as open source, and I'm not hungry... Well, last time I looked, I wasn't.
    And yet you say you can't afford to pay $15.95 for D-Tools?

    Why do you think there is a difference between getting paid to develop software and getting paid to do any other job?
    Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

  3. #13
    Experienced User Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    13.10.2005
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitna
    And yet you say you can't afford to pay $15.95 for D-Tools?
    Huh? When did I say that? I plan to register DTools Pro. Just because I like and support open source doesn't mean I hate everything else (with the possible exception of Microsoft ).

    Why do you think there is a difference between getting paid to develop software and getting paid to do any other job?
    I don't think that. I'm wondering if it's actually me you're talking to. This is "Nikos" talking.
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos
    Huh? When did I say that? I plan to register DTools Pro. Just because I like and support open source doesn't mean I hate everything else (with the possible exception of Microsoft ).
    If u hate it don't use it, plenty of other choices (MAC, Linux).
    MS might try to stuff things up your throat, but that doesn't me that u have to accept it, so stop whining about MS.
    There is still freedom of choice, the problem is that most peopl don't use it enough....just my 2 cents

  5. #15
    New User
    Join Date
    12.02.2005
    Posts
    15

    Default

    More to the point, the difference between Alcohol & programs released for free is the function that they perform-
    Alcohol is a specialised application, for creating 1:1 backups of CDs with copy protection. Due to the nature of free software, no copy protection is required, and therefore a peice of software such as Alcohol is much less of a priority than the development of somthing such as a spreadsheet or database program which will gain more users.

    Cheers

    -Leezer-

  6. #16
    Experienced User Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    13.10.2005
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrytasker
    If u hate it don't use it, plenty of other choices (MAC, Linux).
    MS might try to stuff things up your throat, but that doesn't me that u have to accept it, so stop whining about MS.
    With all due respect, I can whine as I please.

    I hate MS, I hate MS, I hate MS! There.
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos
    With all due respect, I can whine as I please.

    I hate MS, I hate MS, I hate MS! There.
    Hear Hear says the gnu user!!!

    I too am not too fond of microsoft, primarily due to their sales tactics...
    I do however, both use and like windows since v2002...
    It is lightyears ahead of its predecessors...
    Primarily I still use linux, but windows being windows, is necessary for my love of gaming.... however, until v2002 i only begrudgingly used it, but now I quite enjoy exploring my windows machine

  8. #18

    Cool The Real Deal with OS's

    Hi,
    I've been reading about your opinions about OS's and having played with most of the major ones, I think it doesn't really come down to how "s**t" an O.S., from what I've seen, it's what you use it for. If you are finding that your OS is not applicable to your area of interest, then change the O.S.

    Here's the difference between them:
    Use Microsoft Windows XP+ if
    - Full USB Compatibility (Really fast no driver connections)
    - Better Wireless Support
    - Simple Interfaces with consistency
    - Good Multimedia Support
    - Excellent for PC Games/High End Games
    - Simplistic Security & Applications

    Use Machintosh if:
    - Advanced Multimedia
    - The most simpliest way to explore a computer
    - Simple designs and shortcuts to productivity
    - Any Video & Sound buffs

    Use Linux if:
    - Advanced System customisation
    - High Security
    - Programming
    - Servers/FTP/Web/File etc

    I do a little bit of video rendering, but I also play a lot of games and do not do much programming. But I also am a slightly intuitive user, so I don't need the Mac. Since I play alot of games, I don't use Linux (even if it does have WINe).

    Anyways, this is what I think. I use Windows the majority of the time but some people might be uncomfortable with paying for an operating system (cheap bastards). Also, I hate seperatists! You can be in any and all OS groups, none of this Windows is shit, or Linux is shit crap!. I'm fed up with people unjustifyingly bashing these powerful operating systems, they do what they do.

    What do you think?
    -The Reaper

  9. #19
    Master
    Jito463's Avatar
    Join Date
    24.05.2005
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    Very well put, Reaper. The main reason I've never bothered considering the switch to Linux is because I'm a gamer. Linux and games do not go well together (partly because of - not in spite of - WINe). I usually just let people who want to rant about a particular OS do so, and I'll just stand back and wait till they're done. Choice of OS depends entirely on what you use the computer for. Having said that, anyone who buys an Apple is a fruitcake.

  10. #20
    Experienced User Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    13.10.2005
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Well, wrong.

    http://www.transgaming.com/products_linux.php

    EDIT:
    Works even better than on Windows. LOL! I wish I could install this thing in Windows! Ha ha!
    Last edited by Nikos : 28.11.2005 at 01:17
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •