Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Do you think that there's going to be any freeware that does the same as Alcohol 120%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If there isn't going to be, then before it expires, try to make sure that I have successful image files made.

Now, it's starting to feel like the 1990s or early 2000s again, when almost all good software was commercial.

Experienced User

You will find no freeware doing the job of alcohol. Too much knowhow and work done there. This costs a lot of energy and time (= money).
    And when you look at the price a licence of Alcohol costs, thatґs really not soo expensive for what you get !

Quote Originally Posted by Ptolomeus3
    You will find no freeware doing the job of alcohol. Too much knowhow and work done there. This costs a lot of energy and time (= money).
    And when you look at the price a licence of Alcohol costs, thatґs really not soo expensive for what you get !
    OK, but even when I'm 25 years old, It's likely that I won't be allowed to purchase it. Because of the complications of setting up an account to purchase online and they might not like my location.

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP
    If there isn't going to be, then before it expires, try to make sure that I have successful image files made.

Now, it's starting to feel like the 1990s or early 2000s again, when almost all good software was commercial.
    Next time you go to work, tell your boss you don't want to get paid anymore.
    Explain that you hate feeling so commercial.
    I'm sure they won't mind.
    Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Quote Originally Posted by Kitna
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? That's rude!!!

Experienced User

You say that software should be free, which means you expect software developers to work for free.
    Why is it rude for me to suggest that you also work for free?

You say that software should be free, which means you expect software developers to work for free.
    Why is it rude for me to suggest that you also work for free?
    For "free" as in "free beer" or "freedom"?

I don't mind working for free. Volunteer work helps the community. But I don't like working for free if the one who assigned me the work earns money from it. Working for free involves ALL PARTS working for free. Your boss doesn't work for free even if you do. Does he? No.
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Experienced User

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos
    For "free" as in "free beer" or "freedom"?

I don't mind working for free. Volunteer work helps the community. But I don't like working for free if the one who assigned me the work earns money from it. Working for free involves ALL PARTS working for free. Your boss doesn't work for free even if you do. Does he? No.
    For ALL PARTS to be working for free, we would have to live in a world where food, rent etc.. was also free.

For ALL PARTS to be working for free, we would have to live in a world where food, rent etc.. was also free.
    I don't see the connection with free software. I release my software as open source, and I'm not hungry... Well, last time I looked, I wasn't.

Good software can be free. There are lots of examples of software that is much, much more complicated than Alcohol, but is still free. (GCC, KDE, Linux, Gimp, you name it. No comparison to Alcohol in terms of complexity.)

The problem is, free software mostry requires volunteers. Proprietary software requires budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast