Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I use PATA HDDs. What do you mean by disabling the IDE drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use PATA HDDs. What do you mean by disabling the IDE drives?

This won't fly if I'm also required to unplug my primary master HDD, too, just to get around certain anti-copy protection systems!!! Then how can I boot my PC?

Do you mean just unplug existing optical drives? The only optical drive I have is one CD drive.

I already posted a question similar to this, but I'm trying to find out, because the news section about Daemon Tools 4 wasn't very helpful . Being vague about unplugging IDE drives. Now some people think that they're required to unplug all IDE drives from their system then wonder why they can't boot Windows and instead get a disk boot error. LOL.

Now on top if this, I may accidently send you a duplicate post, because Mozilla Firefox decided to give me a connection was reset error message.

First of all, we apologize for the forum being so slow, but since word got out that DTv4 is out literally thousands of people are trying to access the forums at the same time.

As to your question:

Yes, you'll only need to unplug your optical IDE drives.
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
      First of all, we apologize for the forum being so slow, but since word got out that DTv4 is out literally thousands of people are trying to access the forums at the same time.

As to your question:

Yes, you'll only need to unplug your optical IDE drives.
      Huh? literally? I thought that it would have cleared up earlier. I was afraid that something wasn't configured properly. I was wondering if it was because of the message board not being given enough processor allocation by whoever is hosting this message board. Because the symptoms didn't stop occuring until around now, I thought that the hoster was having technical difficulties. Because sometimes, I was able to view the message board, but then the message board would display the message saying that it's busy, but then if I click again, it sometimes lets me continue. It seemed like anytime I tried to do a lot, it won't let me, that's why I suspected a host process priority problem.

Comment

Like this?

So this means you only need to disconnect your IDE cd/dvd drives and not your IDE hardrive?

Comment

How would you run Windows without a hard drive?

Comment

Originally Posted by Reef
            How would you run Windows without a hard drive?
            USB disk of course

Comment

I cant see games asking you to 'insert the disk into drive c:' so I guess you would be ok with your PATA hdds connected

Also, SATA is still IDE.....

Comment

Please check the SCSI blacklists thread.
                "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

RJARRRPCGP is just confused.

When it is mentioned that you may have to disconnect your IDE drive it means any optical drives on your IDE channels NOT your hard drives. When game protection comes to this then it's time to pack it in.

Physically disconnecting the power and/or IDE connector is one option. I would do so only when the computer is off with no power.

I have found on my system that all I have to do is go into Device Manager and disable my burner. That's all to it for me.
                  Since I don't use my burner all that much I just leave it disabled all the time. When I need it I just enable it.

SF/SFN will do the same thing if you want to go with one of these programs.

But remember, your mileage will vary. What works for me might not work for you. Computers.... go figure.

Comment

Working...
                  X