No announcement yet.

"System File Error" when installing 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do no try to access services/sptd/cfg key - it is under full control of SPTD when it is running.
    Once SPTD opened this key it is blocked for purposes of self-defense against external programs - noone can access it while SPTD is running, even admin and system accounts. Registry permissions have nothing to do here.
    If you think there is some problem with this key that even SPTD itself cannot access it due to permission problems then disable SPTD service temporarily in registry (set Start to 4)
    and reboot. Then navigate to this key and check that admin at least has full access to this key. Please report yor results.To reenable SPTD set Start value back to 0 or simply
    rerun SPTD setup.

Comment

• Failed calling CreatefiLe; GetLastError = 5

I tried to install Daemontools v4.00 ! first i uninstalled version 4.03 and then installed v4.00 !

in the half of the installation proces i get an error

" Failed calling CreatefiLe; GetLastError = 5"

pls help me with my prob

thx in advance

Comment

• Why do you want to downgrade Daemon Tools version? Newer version contains important fixes so you should stay uptodate.

Do you get this error also on 4.06?
        Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
        Peace Through Power

Comment

• because i need to mount an image and it only works with 4.00

so that's why i need to downgrade

Comment

• solution spybot immunization, symantec system manipulation protection

hi there,

here is how i was able to solve the problem on my system:

environment:
            .windows xp home edition, service pack 2
            .symantec anti virus 2005 full version 10.0.1.1000, manipulation protection activated
            .zonealarm firewall, private, version 6.5.737.000

problem description:
            1. i had deamon tools 4.03 installed, worked fine
            2. deinstalled 4.03 for maintenance and cleanup reasons
            3. attempted to install daemon tools 4.06
            4. "system file write error" during installation process
            5. installation aborted
            6. unable to install daemon tools 4.06

thanks to this thread i got a clue what might be the cause of the problem: write protected registry keys

i remebered the immunization option of "spybot search and destroy" and the manipulation protection in symantec anti virus ... and so it happened ...

solution description:
            1.deactivated all 4 protection mechanisms in symantec anti virus (filesystem, internet, ms exchange, manipulation protection).
            2.let spybot s&d undo the "system immunization", (the overall one, and those for certain programms eg browsers)
            4.reboot in normal mode
            5.disconnected from internet by unplugging
            6.shut down zonealarm
            7.unloaded symantec antivirus
            8.installed daemon tools until it said "need to restart" (no "system file write error" anymore)
            9.reboot in normal mode
            10.continued and finished daemon tools installation
            11.tested daemon tools - works fine

12.activated all 4 protection mechanisms in symantec antivirus
            13.let spybot immunize system
            14.reboot
            15.11.tested daemon tools - works fine

thanks for the hints and i hope this post is helpful too.

a

Comment

• Originally Posted by rTn
              because i need to mount an image and it only works with 4.00

so that's why i need to downgrade

Huh?

Comment

• SPTD 1.9 on a new Core 2 duo xtreme 2 GB ddr2 memory

Alrighty now I know who is the culprit behind me beating the heck out of my computer. My old computer an athlon xp 2400 kept running better than this one. I kept reinstalling windows, looking up error codes for event viewer, and over time everything on my hard drive got corrupted (ALOT of orphaned files). I have reformatted 3 x in the last month - no big deal everything important is stored externally. My Via motherboard was acting crazy....if my via sata controller was enabled and I installed the fake sata controller sptd 1.9, my hardware Interrupts would stay at 50% in process explorer all the time. I had to disable my SATA controller in order to use my whole processor - no big deal i use firewire and IDE. I couldn't boot into safe mode with or without cancelling the loading of sptd when prompted but ONLY in safe mode with networking WITH sptd.

Comment

• ProcessExplorer can help you!

Hi,

I got similar issue: "System File error..." upon STPD installation, and unable to delete corresponding registry keys.

I then simply use the ProcessExplorer tool from SysInternals (now own by Microsoft).

In the "Find -> Find Hanle or DLL..." dialog, I simply typed 'STPD'.
                  Each result was pointing me to the corresponding handle for the 'System' process, that I closed through the Close Handle contextual command.

Once all handle pointing to 'STPD' was closed, I launched the STPD install, which went fine until the end and after reboot, looks it works!

Enjoy,
                  JF

Comment

Working...
                  X