"System File Error" when installing 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "System File Error" when installing 4.0

I had 3.47 on my system for a long time... no problems. I upgrade to 4 it removes the old on, all its assoicated drives go away and from device manager but when it gets to installing the SPTD install I get the System File Error.

Anyone else get this?

Setup has problems writing to registry in Services hive. Maybe registy permission problem.

Comment

Registry issue

Yes, it's a registry issue: HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\stpd\cfg is write protected. I could however not change the permission (being the administrator). Does anybody has an idea?

Comment

Did you have this error from the very first setup attempt?
        It seems SPTD is already running on you system as it protects this key, but setup does not detect it somehow.
        Any errors in system event log?
        Try to delete sptd.sys and reboot (so it releases this key) then run setup again. What happens?
        If you still get same error immediately then some other application blocks access to registry in general.

Comment

Where can I find this System event log? (I had the same problem, posted a thread about it, you asked me if there were any errors in my system event log)

Maybe my Antivirus has something to do with it.

<Z>

Comment

Run eventvwr.msc
            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Says:

Error - Source: sptd - Category: none - Event: 4 - User: N.A.

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 52 00 ......R.
              0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......А
              0010: 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
              0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
              0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Says the driver found an internal error.

<Z>

Comment

This log just shows SPTD could not start after reboot but it WAS successfilly installed. I cannot understand then - when you got this System file error, at which point in installation?

Comment

Not sure if my post got through (think the forums were closed right before I clicked the "Submit Reply" button last time)...

[edit: It did get through, sry for double post]

<Z>
                  Last edited by Zembla; 16.11.2005, 15:33.

Comment

Ive been having this same error each time I try to install DT v4. I deleted the sptd.sys file and rebooted. On restart I was able to modify the permission settings for the cfg folder in the registry (I hadnt been able to earlier) however the problem persists.

I checked the event manager. There are a good number of errors, but none seem to be of any relation to DT as they dont chronologically align with my installation attempts.

Ive been putting off a good 'ol reformat for a while now (never done it in 3 years), so maybe Ill do that and see if it does anything.

Comment

No event at all shown! This issue came after the reboot during th e install. Is this a new key generated? So it would be okay to delete it overall (no idea if deleting would work)?
                      I could only see during the install that while install writing into the cfg folder of the registry "ACCESS DENIED" popped up (in regmon) and then the install program aborts.
                      So must be an installation script issue.

Comment

The issue could come having two administrators defined on a machine (one local one defined via a domain) as I'm login via the domain one (on XP). If the install does NOT use the current logged on this could be maybe the issue?

Comment

Hi,

I had the same problem and did what VeNoM386 suggested in his last post. It fixed the system file error, but now I get this error during the D-tools install, and I'm posting it here since it might be related :

Failed calling CreateFile; GetLastError = 32

I already installed V4 once without problems, but I had some other problems with my PC and had to do a system repair (yes, just after I installed V4; it wasn't related to it though) and I may need to delete some other files before being able to install it again.

Comment

I've tried everything in here...same problem..what to do ?

Comment

Originally Posted by VeNoM386
                              This log just shows SPTD could not start after reboot but it WAS successfilly installed. I cannot understand then - when you got this System file error, at which point in installation?
                              Well, the error occurs when right after rebooting due to installation of the SPTD, it automatically launches the installation upon entry of Windows again. It then tells me to install SPTD, if I'm ok with that (so, basically, just like a fresh installation without SPTD already on my system), only then, when I click OK, it gives me this System File error.

Any idea if Norton AntiVirus 2005 might be the culprit here?

BTW: I have multiple sptd.sys 's. They're named sptd****.sys (where **** is a four character number). Maybe this helps in understanding my problem.

<Z>
                              Last edited by Zembla; 16.11.2005, 21:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X