DT4 and Starforce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT4 and Starforce

ok, so here's my issue. It seems i am getting reboot whenever i try to use my working image file of SCCT. It was working with DT 3.47 and sfcure, but now with DT4 my computer just hard boots.

i attempted to stop it from rebooting from the BSOD, but it STILL reboots! i have no idea what's going on but it does not seem to be doing a mini memory dump either. It looks like i'll have to format completely and start from scratch.

anybody else have a similar problem?
    Athlon X2 3800
    2gb DDR400
    6800nu -> 16x6
    2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Did you check this thread?
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Same problem here, launching the exe for X3 results in starforce cd check getting to about 1/3, stopping for a bit, and instarebooting. No bluescreen, no log, no system event. I have my computer set to not reboot on bluescreens, so this is something wierd. Only happens when I unplug the drives.

Comment

i'm sorry i didn't make myself clear in the first post.

yes, daemon tools 4 installs perfectly. i can mount images and so forth, however...

when i try to mount an image that has starforce protection, my computer just reboots. It ONLY happens with starforce games.

Even if i set my computer not to reboot on a system crash, it still reboots! it's as if i've pressed the reset button... although strange thing, it doesn't even create a minidump!!!!!

I know the images are fine, i made them myself from my original copies. Also, my system is not overclocked at all and system stability is not an issue.

Civ4 however is working perfectly however... and thank you for all your efforts, it is much appreciated

... just one last second thought... could nlite be the problem? i used it to remove usless things like moviemaker, but did not remove a single driver or service so i didn't really give it much thought. i'll try DT4 on a completely clean system later this week when i have the time.
        Athlon X2 3800
        2gb DDR400
        6800nu -> 16x6

Comment

Originally Posted by xeroxide
          i'm sorry i didn't make myself clear in the first post.

yes, daemon tools 4 installs perfectly. i can mount images and so forth, however...

when i try to mount an image that has starforce protection, my computer just reboots. It ONLY happens with starforce games.

Even if i set my computer not to reboot on a system crash, it still reboots! it's as if i've pressed the reset button... although strange thing, it doesn't even create a minidump!!!!!

I know the images are fine, i made them myself from my original copies. Also, my system is not overclocked at all and system stability is not an issue.

Civ4 however is working perfectly however... and thank you for all your efforts, it is much appreciated

... just one last second thought... could nlite be the problem? i used it to remove usless things like moviemaker, but did not remove a single driver or service so i didn't really give it much thought. i'll try DT4 on a completely clean system later this week when i have the time.
          same problem here with X3
          BadIronTree The Frag Master
          http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/541/makedoniank1.gif

Comment

This worked for me, take it or leave it:

turn off your computer

disconnect CD/DVD IDE cable(s)

restart

load image (I'm using X3) with D4

works like a charm!

Comment

Originally Posted by medicrx
              This worked for me, take it or leave it:

turn off your computer

disconnect CD/DVD IDE cable(s)

restart

load image (I'm using X3) with D4

works like a charm!
              I don't have any CD/DVD IDE!
              the only drive i have is a usb. i've tried disconnecting that as well. thanks for the tip though
              Athlon X2 3800
              2gb DDR400
              6800nu -> 16x6

Comment

I'm having the same exact problem with a very similar setup (3500+, 2x SATA RAIDed drives, no IDE). I was excited and thought X3 was working at first when my screen went blank, until I saw my BIOS screen come up and was instantly saddened

Hopefully this can be fixed.

Comment

List of DAEMON Tools 4 reboot questions

Xeroxide:
                  How are your drives connected?
                  Serial ATA?
                  RAID?
                  What's the name of your motherboard's IDE chipset?
                  Where is the image file (if you're rebooting because of a mounted image) located?

What if you try changing image file locations (mount over a network fileshare instead, mount from a cd instead, mount from a HD instead, etc. )?
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I have the same problem and configuration.
                    Computer information.
                    Windows XP sp2
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4400+
                    ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...39&modelmenu=1)
                    4 SATAharddrives in 2 raid sets (Nvidia raid shows up as scsi)
                    1 DVD burner connected with regular IDE
                    I have good cooling (2*12 cm fans and 3*8cm fans + power suply with 2 fans). I have never seen the CPU rise above 40 degres celsius...

I did some testing yesterday and found the following:
                    1. Default configuration
                    - > Insert disc into another drive error
                    2. Disabling the primary IDE-channel in device manager (The drive is no longer visible for windows)
                    - > Insert disc into another drive error (I can hear the dvd-drive spin up)
                    3. Disabling the primary IDE-channel in BIOS(The drive is no longer visible for windows)
                    - > Insert disc into another drive error (I can hear the dvd-drive spin up)
                    4. Disabling the entire IDE-controller so that no IDE-channels are visible in windows
                    - > Instant reboot at 1/3 of the disc check

My conclusion is that starforce tries to completely bypass windows/bios settings and sends low level operations directly to the IDE-controller. (I'm a programmer but don't have any knowledge about low level API's and drivers) When it tries to access the disabled IDE-controller there is some kind of low level protection against that kind of access which makes the computer reboot.

Comment

I have now read some more info about the subject and concluded that threre is some kind of incompatibility between daemontools 4 and nvidia raid drivers.

I just tried to mount the image from my USB 2.0 externa drive and it worked perfectly when the IDE-controller was disabled. So obviously Starforce does something through daemontools which results in instant reboot if the image resides on an nvidia raid partition. However if you mount the same image on an USB drive (or maybe an IDE based drive) it works perfectly...

Comment

Same Problem

Same problem, same board. As I have tried to launch some of starforce protected games, I received hard boot w/o bluescreen. I've got the same A8X-SLI board with NVRAID on it and I can hardly test the games at some IDE drive... haven't got one anymore.
                        Some more info:
                        Athlon 64 X2; A8X-SLI; 2x6800GT; NVRAID0; WinXP Pro (32)

Comment

i have athlon xp 64 3200+ with abit ax8 v2.0 mainboard...

iґve connected my rw drives via the onboard raid controller and i just have to mount the isos by using dt4 and no more disconnecting cables....

everything works fine without any emulation....

and it works with all protections

btw the mainbaord does have via kt 890 chipset

regards,

hans

Comment

iґve connected my rw drives via the onboard raid controller and i just have to mount the isos by using dt4 and no more disconnecting cables....
                            Do you really mean ISO Images? I think this wouldn't work, or do you mean an Alcohol 120% Image (mds,mdf).
                            Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Same problem here. I have Gigabyte KT880, 2 IDE HDD, no CD/DVD. Any game secure with starforce caused reebot system. Only way to play this game is USB2.0 external drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X