Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Eight-8all
    well it's exactly the same! nothing different! they would make it so that starforce images would work! didn't happen! it was going to have a completely new layout, didn't happen it's exactly the same! the only ting that changed is the name!
    Daemon Tools v4 supports starforce! Daemon Tools v3.47 is blacklisted by starforce but v4 is not!
    But you have to unplug your optical IDE drives because starforce and many other copy protections has blacklisted SCSI drives. And it was never said that v4 was going to have a new layout, I think it's perfect as it is now, smal and very convenient. DT Pro is going to look diffrent, maybe you have mixed that up.

I don't even think there is any idea explaining this to you, it seems like you don't want to understand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Methadon
      Daemon Tools v4 supports starforce! Daemon Tools v3.47 is blacklisted by starforce but v4 is not!
      But you have to unplug your optical IDE drives because starforce and many other copy protections has blacklisted SCSI drives. And it was never said that v4 was going to have a new layout, I think it's perfect as it is now, smal and very convenient. DT Pro is going to look diffrent, maybe you have mixed that up.

I don't even think there is any idea explaining this to you, it seems like you don't want to understand.
      haha. I do wan't to but the thing is: I saw a lott of screenshots of how it was going to look! but if u say i might be mixed up with pro then maybe I am! sorry, thanks for the info!
      A women is like a hurricane, it start wet and heavy and when it's over you've lost your house

Comment

Originally Posted by Eight-8all
        haha. I do wan't to but the thing is: I saw a lott of screenshots of how it was going to look! but if u say i might be mixed up with pro then maybe I am! sorry, thanks for the info!
        There was no screenshot of v4 before the release of it but there is a screenshot of the Pro version,
        so it was probably that one you saw.

Comment

^^ Methedon is right, DT4 Free has the same interface as DT3, DT4 Pro will have an interactive "Pro" interface with more features.

DT4 was written from the ground up. The only thing the same on DT4 Free is the "GUI" Graphical User Interface (what you can see)

The DT Drivers ect.. (Things you cannot see, Engine) Was re-written from scratch.

Laugh if you will, but the interface (GUI) itself is not DT, it is only a small peice of DT that allows control of the Driver/Engine.
          No, you cannot have my signature, unless you pay me. I am famous you know.

Comment

One thing that bothers me.

Why did you decide to rewrite the SCSI driver if you know very well it is blacklisted?

It doesn't make sense to me, since DT is all about the driver and picking SCSI where from the beginning you knew it is blacklisted is weird.

I can honestly understand the majority that are disappointed.

Removing only blacklisting isn't sufficent and should have been done way sooner. I can also understand the presure you were under when you set a release date, so I'm not complaining about the release and I'm happy it's done.

But I really wish you will change your release policy in the future. I think this kind of software is all about speed and who gets who quicker. Just check how often does SF make new versions.

If a protection blacklists new daemon tools, release a quick update and as many as you need. Due to extreme lenght between 3.47 and 4.00 we've seen many applications rise that tried to fill in the gaps. I think it's time to become more serious and I hope your business policy will allow it.

Comment

It is NOT the SCSI driver which is blacklisted! ALL SCSI devices are, even real ones!
              And as a matter of fact, IDE controllers support 2 devices per channel only.
              Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
              They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I knew that, but does it change anything to the point I made?
                But the question I'm asking is: was the decision to use SCSI driver (devices, whatever) made before or after it was blacklisted? I mean, why bother.
                It's like making a decitson to do something while you know it's not gonna work and you'll have to do something else.

Or is there a cross-link between SCSI and IDE?

Comment

The development of DTv4 was started long before the first SCSI blacklist appeared.

Programming a virtual IDE drive is a completely different caliber in terms of complexity than a virtual SCSI drive. It will not be licensed as "free for personal use" as the SCSI edition is, we have put too much work and money into it to be able to do that.

However, we still wanted to have a version of DT that's free for personal use. And even if it may not defeat the most recent copy protections without help, it will still be much harder to blacklist than DTv3, so you will not need anti-blacklisting tools (such as AntiBlaxx and the likes).

Furthermore, we're currently working on an IDE jammer. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm faithful that it will defeat the SCSI blacklist, letting you play without having to unplug your drives.

Of course you're right, one might ask "why bother". We could have killed the SCSI version as soon as those SCSI blacklists were introduced and instead have concentrated on the IDE version. But we finished the SCSI version so DTv4 is still free for personal use. Considering that you haven't bought a license for DTv4 (which is perfectly legitimate!), you profit from this decision just as most other users do.
                  "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

And if you want to get a virtual IDE drive you should register DT and you will soon get it...

Btw. why do you think all virtual drives are currently SCSI..? Because it is not that easy to create an IDE-Virtual-Drive...

Comment

I too am very seriously disappointed in v4. NO MOUNT TOOL! None of the old ones work and the new version doesn't have it built in. Sucks.. I am going back to 3.47 at least it works the way it's needed to. Who wants to be starting daemon tools manually everytime than going to mount image than browsing folders just to mount the image. Very poor. Wish they didn't release it yet without the mount tool this feels like a very unfinished product.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost_zero
                        Btw. why do you think all virtual drives are currently SCSI..? Because it is not that easy to create an IDE-Virtual-Drive...
                        <smart-ass mode>The IDE drive is not that difficult to do. ATAPI drives are almost identical to SCSI drives. It's the IDE/ATA controller that the drive is attached to that is difficult to implement.</smart-ass mode>
                        To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

lol... you are of course right, BUT:

I think you know what I meant, don't you??
                          Last edited by ghost_zero; 20.11.2005, 11:52.

Comment

Originally Posted by molitar
                            I too am very seriously disappointed in v4. NO MOUNT TOOL! None of the old ones work and the new version doesn't have it built in. Sucks.. I am going back to 3.47 at least it works the way it's needed to. Who wants to be starting daemon tools manually everytime than going to mount image than browsing folders just to mount the image. Very poor. Wish they didn't release it yet without the mount tool this feels like a very unfinished product.
                            First... you can let DT run in Tray all the time, then you don't need to start it..

That the mount tools don't work is the new interface for DT... the need to be upgraded... DT does not write the mount-tools so you might should ask the developers of those??

Btw. it is a product that DOES EXACTLY what is said in the news of the relase and/or the release notes... if you want the IDE-Jammer and x64-Version you just need to wait a bit... also written something about this in the relase-notes and/or news of the release...
                            Last edited by ghost_zero; 20.11.2005, 11:52.

Comment

Very simple reason for the disappointment is that it was said a long time ago that v4.0 would have 64bit support. Thus when 4.0 got released everyone assumed 64bit support would be included. We've waited many months for 64bit support in Daemon Tools, and got a bit disappointed when the new version didnt have it... yet. And now it may take many months more before we have 64bit support.

Comment

Everyone who's dissapointed by v4 should go on and use something else, IMHO.

I like it. It's great. It's useful. It has a promising future. I'll stick to it. Thank you.
                                To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X