Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: Unable to set new drive letter under Vista

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWifi View Post
    I had the "no driveletter - can't change drive letter" issue.

However my cd/dvd-player was visible in Device Manager but they had a yellow "!". The Device driver could not be loaded.

I used this guide -> PC Hell: How to Fix Error Code 39 with DVD or CD-ROM drive in Windows XP/Vista

Very easy and after the reboot, I had access to change the drive letters and everything is working again!

Great Sticky this one!

Regards
    //David
    After trying for at least one month, I am about to take a decision to give my laptop for HP service to replace my burner.
    But meanwhile, when I want to read an ISO file, this daemon tool problem - 'unable to set drive letter' started pestering me. So I tried all the previous solutions given above, but in vain. Finally yours did the magic not only with 'Daemon Tools', but also with my burner.

Million thanks to you!

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

The fix....

It works on all versions of windows having this problem.

They say any software that can burn a cd/dvd or manage drm or video/music can trigger this problem upon install.

Common triggers are installing winamp or nero or even d-tools.

This fix worked on all my systems, and it is also what you need to use for the HP-Optical problem as well as the sony vaio one.

Aparently for some reason their OEM software triggers it every time you do a update.

Have fun.

Customer

@fosszombie
    Well meant, but already mentioned in this thread
    Also a sticky in the Common Problems and Solutions subforum.

Experienced User

quote of copytrooper:
    "Check in device manager if any drivers are installed for the virtual devices. There should be cdrom.sys, storprop.dll and redbook.sys.
    If no drivers are installed, click on install drivers and point to cdrom.inf - or mshdc.inf (for vIDE) - supplied by OS (in hidden Windows\Inf folder).
    If all mentioned drivers are installed, but also some additional filter drivers check this thread, too:
    My real cdrom/dvdrom drives are missing - THE DAEMON TOOLS FORUM
    Also check if you've a file infcache.1 in Windows\Inf folder, (re-)move it, then try again."

in my Vista x64 the VIDE drive only driver is cdrom.sys and nothing else. If i manually update it with mshdc.inf it doesnt change anything.

My Virtual Drives get unusable after almost every suspend to ram or suspend to disk sleep mode and i cannot assign drive letters to them any longer until reboot.

This problem is persistant for over a year over VARIOUS OS installations, so its NOT my system.

I have not installed or used any program that changes access rights to hives or any hide programs previous to the problem occured. I also have not installed any Burning Software that uses own drivers such as NERO. I also dont even have a hardware Optical drive. I only have a USB DVD that i have not connected.
    Guys vote for the threads you read to give
    the rating system a place to live ^^

Experienced User

well i dont blame DT for all this...after all the 680I nforce is a retarded chipset with retarded drivers, some many weird shit happens with it...

kicked out all nforce drivers and using the ones windows vista (sp2), installs by itself now... majority of problems gone...(just wait for them to resurface again for no obvious reason ^^)
    Guys vote for the threads you read to give
    the rating system a place to live ^^

New User

Quote Originally Posted by bvnbvn2000 View Post
    You need to copy and paste the *.inf and *.PNF files from this folder:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\cdrom.inf_b2045cb8
    AND THIS FOLDER:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\mshdc.inf_1d87dda2
    to C:\Windows\inf

the *.sys files in those folders may be required to be copied and pasted into \System32\Drivers if not already there.

Now you need to go to device manager and right-click on the not working virtual driver which is probably now under other devices. Select to update the driver and now point to C:\windows\inf
    should work fine now!

This works fine!! thank you!

Idee

Thank you abdulhakim01.
    Mine is XP system, still it works for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by abdulhakim01 View Post
    Guys after installing 'DAEMON Tools 4.0.8 X86' on 'Windows Vista RTM' you need go to 'Device Manager' and update the device driver for the 'SCSI CDrom Drive'. The driver you need can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys. This works and I am using it without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xmonkid View Post
    Thank you abdulhakim01.
    Mine is XP system, still it works for me!
    yes. This is also my problem. thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by fosszombie View Post
    Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

The fix....

It works on all versions of windows having this problem.

They say any software that can burn a cd/dvd or manage drm or video/music can trigger this problem upon install.

Common triggers are installing winamp or nero or even d-tools.

This fix worked on all my systems, and it is also what you need to use for the HP-Optical problem as well as the sony vaio one.

Aparently for some reason their OEM software triggers it every time you do a update.

Have fun.
    Yeah I've had the missing dvd drives and virtual drives going missing on a friend's PC, and the solution was to remove the 7 year old Nero 6 program!! Thanks

I have Device 0 and Device 1 , but they have no letter . The Error "Unable to set a new driver letter" comes if i try to set a driver letter.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast