This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAEMON Tools 4.0.8 X86 - Drive letter issue on Windows Vista RTM

Guys after installing 'DAEMON Tools 4.0.8 X86' on 'Windows Vista RTM' you need go to 'Device Manager' and update the device driver for the 'SCSI CDrom Drive'. The driver you need can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys. This works and I am using it without any problems.

Comment

Hey, had the same problem with the drive letters too (Windows XP), looked it up on google and found a solution for it. Don't know if you still need it, but it worked really great for me, so here it is.
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Anyway I have resolve the issue:
      To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
      Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
      Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
      Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      ---------------------------------------------------
      This was written to someone who had problems with it's real CD-romplayers, and not virtual, but concidering it worked for me, it should work for you too. Good luck.

Comment

thanks

THANK YOU very much abdulhakim01!
        I had the same problem: i installed Daemon Tools 4.0.8 x86 on Vista RTM (6.0) x86, and I could not set the drive letter. Also, after installing DT, the dvd-rom letter did dissapear, but came back after 1st restart (I have asus dvd-rom and pioneer dvd-rw), but still no drive letter for DT virtual drive. After updating the device driver for scsi cdrom drive from device manager everything works just perfect!
        Thanks again for your post, I was lost without Daemon Tools!

Comment

Well my problem is I am not ru nning vista...just xp64 pro... When I go into the systems32/driver folder it wont let me select ok for Driver update. Just says cancel....So I am still in a Rut. Also, I dont see SCSI CD ROM. All have is DVD/CD-ROM Drives with my BENQ DVD and MRP425s with Exclamations on them.... Any other ideas are greatly appreciated...

Comment

Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
            Goto Device Manager and oben CD/DBVD-Rom and install manually the Drivers from x:\Windows\inf and the problem should be solved with Drive letters.
            Otherwise more Infos plz, PC Configuration eg which Windows etc.
            Hi
            my original question written for another forum before I discovered these forums is posted in quotes below. Also quoted above is what is said to be the solution, however I cannot carry all that out. I can find DVD/CD-ROM inside device manager where it has a good driver which makes it work for other purposes than "Daemon tools" . That installing it manually stuff doesn't make sense to me. How do you install it manually? Any answer to this question or my question as originally written below would be greatly greatly appreciated!
            [/quote]
            "Daemon tools" drive letter configuration problem?
            Hi
            on another thread somebody recommended to me to use this software, which is free for noncommercial use, called "Daemon tools." Having downloaded it and looked it over it seems like it should be great software if only I could get it configured. The software is said to have the capability of letting you make a backup copy of your DVDs in spite of the fact that DVDs are usually copy protected in a way which will not permit you to make backup copies.
            My configuration problem with my copy of "Daemon tools" is I cannot configure it to recognize my DVD drive which is presently designated drive letter E on my computer. I have tried doing what "Daemon tools" recommends to change drive letters by going to "set device parameters" on one of the "Daemon tools" menu's. This yields a dialog box which only gives me the possibilities of changing the drive letter to F through Z but not E. I have tried reinstalling "Daemon tools" which did not alleviate this problem. I have also tryed to chang the designation of my drive letter in Windows XP however I do not know how to log in to my computer as an administrator. I stopped logging in to my computer almost as soon as I bought it and no longer know how to log into it as an administrator if ever I could. So I would really appreciate it if someone here could tell me how to fix my dilemma and get "Daemon tools" to work successfully with my computer.
            I would consider using an alternative program that does the same thing as "Daemon tools", however free use is a very attractive price. So please tell me if there is an alterative programs someone here has used that works just as well or nearly as well.
            Very sincerely
            BBMiller

Comment

nothen has worked for me

i have tried every thing this form has to offer in fixing this problem and nothing has worked. when i tryed the Device manager one with C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys i get a message saying that the location don not contain any device info files.

Comment

This solved a similar problem in my laptop

Originally Posted by milenec View Post
                Hey, had the same problem with the drive letters too (Windows XP), looked it up on google and found a solution for it. Don't know if you still need it, but it worked really great for me, so here it is.
                -----------------------------------------------------
                Anyway I have resolve the issue:
                To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
                Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
                Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
                Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
                ---------------------------------------------------
                This was written to someone who had problems with it's real CD-romplayers, and not virtual, but concidering it worked for me, it should work for you too. Good luck.
                Reboot after editing the registry then my cdrom drive is back. And, no more problem to set drive letter with DT.
                Big Thanks !!! :-)
                [WinXP + Daemon Tools 4.09 ]

Comment

Darn wtf i just ran into the same problem in Vista x64 Ultimate

All i did was to disable the virtual drive for testing reasons by setting number of devices to 0 . Now i tried to turn them on
                  again by setting number of device = 1 and it takes about 30
                  seconds to complete the operation but does NOT assign any
                  drive letter. Also it does not allow to set a new drive letter.

Oh yes i just see that also my USB DVD Drive is gone. Great! I thought
                  this crap was ironed out already.

This rig was running perfectly until that moment.
                  Last edited by Sabrehawk; 18.08.2007, 13:45.
                  Guys vote for the threads you read to give
                  the rating system a place to live ^^

Comment

no virtual drive

I appologize if this is already posted, but I looked and did not see a resolution to my problem.

I just got a new laptop with vista home premium. I installed daemon tools lite with no problems, no errors.....

The virtual drive is non-existant. The only dvd drive that shows up in device manager is the physical drive. I scan for changes and nothing. In computer manangement there is no drive.... I have tried changing the letter of the physical drive. and the recovery drive just to make sure there was no drive letter conflict.

I disable User acct control to make sure it wasn't a security issue that way. still no go.

What am I missing? I have a desktop machine with vista ultimate on it and had no issues installing it at all.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

DT Lite 4.12 with SPTD 1.55? Also is a drive letter assigned to virtual drive?
                      Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                      Peace Through Power

Comment

well, I discovered last night after posting my question that the virtual drive is in the device manager, but it is under "other devices". When I check for drivers it says none are installed. So, I clicked on update drivers. I first tried search automattically for drivers..... and it found nothing. I then tried to update the driver by pointing it to the cdrom.inf file as described in this thread: http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f26/no-...isappear-3701/ But it cannot find the driver file there.....

I started thinking about this as I was typing this....... and went to my other vista machine and copied the cdrom.inf file from that pc to a folder on this laptop. Then updated the driver again on the laptop and it worked!

thank you

Comment

same problem here except i have vista business sp1 (32bit). i tried all the means i can find including the registry key deleting stuff... nothing work....
                          i tried to install daemon tools under xp and everything seems fine. it just doesn't work in vista (even with administrator account and privilege)
                          aahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahaha.................. ....

Comment

Did you try to right-click on the Dtools program and choose "Run as Administrator"? Unless you disabled UAC, all accounts are run as limited users, and the first run requires Administrator privileges.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
                              Did you try to right-click on the Dtools program and choose "Run as Administrator"? Unless you disabled UAC, all accounts are run as limited users, and the first run requires Administrator privileges.
                              i did... that didn't work...

Comment

I just got it working using the drivers in WIndows\System32\drivers for Vista but you have to find a cdrom.inf and put it in their and make sure cdrom.sys is in there as well. Then go to Device manager if there's no drivers installed for the SCSI Virt drive which was my problem, it's under Other Devices in the list. Click it and update the drivers - browse to Windows\system32\drivers and install them from there. And then wait a few mins and the drive letter shows up auto.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X