Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to defeat Starforce by spending 20/20$ (full IDE support)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doesnt seen to work at least not with king kong, i tested it with the 0680 siliconimage chip, currently the only way to play a backup of this game is to remove the power or a usb drive with dt4.

doesnt Civ IV use safedisk?

Comment

Originally Posted by anihlator
      doesnt seen to work at least not with king kong, i tested it with the 0680 siliconimage chip, currently the only way to play a backup of this game is to remove the power or a usb drive with dt4.

doesnt Civ IV use safedisk?
      Hmmm...King Kong works perfect for me, as well as x3 and they are both Starforce games.

Civ 4 is safedisk, but I had to use sd4hide before DT4 and my controller. Maybe it is a problem with your image file?

Comment

it uses safedisc
        Guys vote for the threads you read to give
        the rating system a place to live ^^

Comment

Bug

Originally Posted by Rag
          Sorry, but I'm really new to this things?!

I just wonder why starforce can't detect the CD/DVD (IDE-drives (CD/DVD) just because they are connected to the motherboard via a PCI controller-card, instead of directly to the motherboard???
          Because controller has different, non-standard, hardware interface for which it needs it's own driver. So starforce can't figure anything about is except it's scsi (this is how it is presented)

Anyway, I finally tried abit's serillel device (one which connects ide drives to serial-ata cable) and I no longer have to unplug burner

Then I tried mounting with DT4 GT legends, directly from image which is burned on disc (as a 4 Gb file on UDF disc).
          RESULT: While installing game, everything went OK,
          but when starting this starforce protected title, system rebooted (!!) during sf3 disc check (not even BSOD, just reboot).

This starforce is really annoying - although bug might actually be somewhere else.

Comment

mounting directly from disc causes reboot ( at least did once )

Mounting a Starforce image which is burned onto a disc causes a reboot. Weird! I'd be interested if its reproducable.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Rag
              Sorry, but I'm really new to this things?!

I just wonder why starforce can't detect the CD/DVD (IDE-drives (CD/DVD) just because they are connected to the motherboard via a PCI controller-card, instead of directly to the motherboard???
              Do you have to disable the IDE-drives via the controller-card before you mount with DT4?

My PC consists of:
              AMD64 +3700
              Abit AKN8 motherboard
              Nec CD/DVD (2 of them)

Is there any particular "things" (interface, versions,...) about the controller-card I must be aware so it is supported by my system?

Thank you in advance (excuse me for my weak english)
              On my system everything runs flawless without any disconnecting. I figured Starforce simply scans the main 4 channels (PM,PS,SM,SS) and ignores PCI controller cards.

I'm running the posted SI0680A-based card with bios 3.2.10 and driver 1.0.18. Mainboard is Nforce2-based.

Of course I can't promise this method works for everyone, but it worked "out of the box" for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by octopus72
                Because controller has different, non-standard, hardware interface for which it needs it's own driver. So starforce can't figure anything about is except it's scsi (this is how it is presented)

Anyway, I finally tried abit's serillel device (one which connects ide drives to serial-ata cable) and I no longer have to unplug burner

Then I tried mounting with DT4 GT legends, directly from image which is burned on disc (as a 4 Gb file on UDF disc).
                RESULT: While installing game, everything went OK,
                but when starting this starforce protected title, system rebooted (!!) during sf3 disc check (not even BSOD, just reboot).

This starforce is really annoying - although bug might actually be somewhere else.
                It will reboot for me too - If I link to the image on the CD. If I copy image to hdd - there is no problem.

Comment

This is off-topic for this thread but I'll reply here again :-) .

I know this reboot thing isn't a horrible problem but its something worth investigating. octopus72 is using GT Legends which has StarForce version 3.6.10.01. Have you both tried using the official Starforce driver removal program (and then afterwards re-installing the game and running the official Starforce updating program)? Does this same reboot happen with 3.47 (though USB was the only method to successfully play a starforce game)?

What game and Starforce version causes this on your system overlrd?

Also interesting to know would be the filter drivers installed for your CD/DVD drives (you can get this via device manager). Minimal drivers are ex: cdrom.sys, redbook.sys, and optionally storprop.dll. Maybe AnyDVD or some version of CloneCD can't handle a starforce realtime thread, reading from a disc, and handling the starforce aggressive disc scanning method all at the same time.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Summat round here is odd
                    My mobo (MSI R480-IL) has onboard SATA RAID, but the 2x optical drives are connnected to a single IDE channel (DVD as master, burner as slave) I also only have the 1 HDD, but both SF games I've tried (SCCT & X3: Reunion) have worked flawlessly with only the image mounted in the DT 4 drive. I'd be interested to see if there is any common denominator of chipset or drivers underlying the ability to mount & run SF games with IDE drives still present.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Comment

pointing to thread Scsi Nvidia Driver Under Raid x DT4 restart the PC

I just found another thread about rebooting but its 40 posts long so I didn't read it too well. Maybe these reboots are related somehow or its just a DAEMON Tools 4 bug that will go away for everyone in the next version.

the modern world:
                      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
                        This is off-topic for this thread but I'll reply here again :-) .

I know this reboot thing isn't a horrible problem but its something worth investigating. octopus72 is using GT Legends which has StarForce version 3.6.10.01. Have you both tried using the official Starforce driver removal program (and then afterwards re-installing the game and running the official Starforce updating program)? Does this same reboot happen with 3.47 (though USB was the only method to successfully play a starforce game)?

What game and Starforce version causes this on your system overlrd?

Also interesting to know would be the filter drivers installed for your CD/DVD drives (you can get this via device manager). Minimal drivers are ex: cdrom.sys, redbook.sys, and optionally storprop.dll. Maybe AnyDVD or some version of CloneCD can't handle a starforce realtime thread, reading from a disc, and handling the starforce aggressive disc scanning method all at the same time.
                        x3 was the game that caused my system to reboot(Starforce 3.5.10.6)
                        I have the following for filter drivers:

stroprop.dll
                        imapi.sys
                        Pcatip.sys
                        redbook.sys
                        GearAspiWDM.Sys
                        AnyDVD.sys
                        cdrom.sys
                        ElbyDelay.sys

There is another long thread about this issue, so maybe a bug in DT4??

Comment

I don't think this would work for me, because if StarForce saw my DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drive attached to the IDE controller, it would ask me to insert the DVD there, and thus I wouldn't be able to use Daemon Tools 4 with the .mds and .mdf files.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong!

Originally Posted by Zak
                          Hello all,
                          this is how I defeated StarForce.
                          As you know, the current StarForce releases check you IDE channels for Optical drives and refuse to launch from SCSI/DT4 if one is detected.
                          However there is an easy and cheap solution to this problem:

- get an extra IDE controller that is compatible with ATAPI drives
                          - plug all your optical drives in there
                          - launch the image via daemon tools v4

The best thing is: you don't need to disable anything! You ONLY need daemon tools, that's it. No channel disabling, no cable disconnecting.

I recommend an ATA133 raid controller using SI0680A because it will still have some potential use if there's another method around Starforce. Plus those babys are just roughly 20 or 20$ shipped.
                          Here's a list of eBay auctions for those cards:
                          US http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8723150538
                          DE http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=8721713305
                          UK http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6822575483

They are cheap everywhere and it really is the best solution I've seen so far. Should work with older controllers as well as long as they support ATAPI aka optical drives.

Comment

I think you're wrong YaHster.
                            the modern world:
                            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Firstly, note that my ata->serial ata converter is connected to same controller on which is my primary hard drive. That probably excludes scsi driver problems.

I succeeded removing all drivers (patin-couffin and pxhelp20.sys) except microsoft ones (redbook, stroprop and imapi.sys). Didn't change anything.

Tried uninstalling/rebooting/running gt legends again/rebooting - still the same

downloaded latest sfdrvup/installed/rebooted - same

Finally tried alcohol120%+sfcure+sfn disable node+disable ata - no reboot! So it could be something related to DT4.

However currently game won't run with alcohol, not even from ntfs partition (no idea why because games used to work with sfcure) but no reboots (maybe sfcure has problem with sptd or I forgot something?)

Same image works flawlessly with DT4 from ntfs partition, so I hope the bug will be fixed soon.

Comment

Mounting a Starforce image which is burned onto a disc causes a reboot. Weird! I'd be interested if its reproducable.

exact same result here, with the raid controller and optical drivers plugged IN and functional if image is mounted from HDD via DT4 all games work fine, KingKong SCCT, X3, NFS MW, you name it

if I mount the image from the burned DVD, i get reboot when SF checks disc, no blue screen - right away reboot
                                MSI nforce 2 Mobo, 2 IDE drives on channel 1, SI0680 Raid controller with optical drives

Comment

Working...
                                X