Crazy idea :p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy idea :p

Wouldn't it be cool if some drive manufacturer releases a DVD drive with an on/off button?
    That way it would be very easy to physically 'unplug' your drive(s). Just switch off the drive(s), mount your image and play

Serial ATA is supposed to support swapping. A power button would be a nice addition.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

You could do that with a power switch in the drives' power cables... That should do the trick, I think. Interesting idea, too bad I don't even have SATA
      "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

you'd need to either scann for hardware changes as you switch them off, or otherwise convince windows that they'r'e hot swappable as it grinds to a halt if an IDE drive is missing when it should be there.

Comment

DON'T EVER DO THE FOLLOWING!!!
          I don't take any responsibility for any broken system because you tried this!

Actually I just unplugged the power connectors from my two DVD drives and they disappeared in the open explorer window... They don't come back when I plug in the power connector again though. But at least XP seems to recognize missing drives pretty quickly!

Comment

There I stole his warning screen. I can add drives onto my PCI controller card if I have my Promise Ultra BIOS installed/loaded at bootup, though I haven't tried to remove them without powering off. (first I plug in to the IDE cable then second I put the power cable in quickly and pray)
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer

Actually I just unplugged the power connectors from my two DVD drives and they disappeared in the open explorer window... They don't come back when I plug in the power connector again though. But at least XP seems to recognize missing drives pretty quickly!
              Allready tried and my Win XP Pro Media Center fucks up ^^
              It recognize that the DVD is there and tries to load the CD/DVD and then windows stands still
              You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
              sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

Originally Posted by Mystique
                Allready tried and my Win XP Pro Media Center fucks up ^^
                It recognize that the DVD is there and tries to load the CD/DVD and then windows stands still
                Maybe it's chipset depending. Thanks for quoting the warning too, by the way!

Comment

Maybe.Mine is nForce 4 SLI
                  You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
                  sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

I tried it too to just disconnect a drive while the PC was running. At first it seemed like it worked, I could play TM Sunrise (with extreme add-on).
                    But the next day when I hit the power button on the PC to switch it on, nothing happened. Maybe just some stupid coincidence, but the power supply was dead.

Comment

This depends on the chipset. In my case, no matter if Windows, Linux, Solaris, DOS, or no OS at all, the PC cold-reboots instantly when I unplug either the power or IDE cable. I think SATA behaves better here. But with plain old ATA, most chipsets/controllers will spit fire.
                      To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Aaah, what a horror story. I hope it was a coincidence.
                        the modern world:
                        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

No, it's reproducable. No hardware damages or anything. Just a cold reboot.

EDIT
                          Well, I hope there aren't hardware damages!
                          To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

it should be noted that SATA CAN be hotswapable... not MUST BE hot swapable. That is to say, a SATA controller and drive can support the hot swap function but it is not a requirement to meet SATA standards (not even SATA2). And the vast majority of SATA drives and controllers are NOT capable of hotswapping.

Comment

Working...
                            X