SERIOUS PROBLEM. DVD and CD burning stopped working after installing V4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SERIOUS PROBLEM. DVD and CD burning stopped working after installing V4

After I installed V4 and restarted, Windows XP informed me that it had found a new SCSI/RAID controller, and three new CD-roms (I assume it replaced the native drivers for my 2 existing physical drives + installed driver for the Daemon tools). None of these new drivers where digitally signed, but as it was part of the Daemon tools install process I went along with it.

Now I cannot burn any CD's with any programs. Deepburner, Nero, Winamp, you name it, my plextor drives simply doesn't work except for reading cd's.

I've tried to remove the SCSI/Raid controller, all the cd rom drives in device manager, and uninstall all cd recording software, daemontools + reinstalled ASPI, deleted upper/lower filter in registry and run the "sfc /scannow" command to replace any wrong file versions, deleted the *inf file for cd rom in the hopes that Windows would install the old Verified/signatured drivers, updated the firmware in my drives. God knows what I've tried. My drives simply seem to have been defected by Daemon tools.

Now all I want is to restore the old drivers that came with windows and reverse all changes Daemon tools did. This is a SERIOUS problem and needs to be sorted out.

ALL help is appreciated as I am starting to believe my drives are physically damaged somehow (Allthough I never thought that was actually possible)

Try this: Uninstall DT4. Then go to My Computer properties, HJardware, device manager, uninstall your cd/dvd drives. After reboot, your drives should be reinstalled, and hopefully fully functional.
    This method usually fixed drive problems for me.

Comment

No luck

I've already done that (removed daemon tools and removed the CD/DVD drives in Device Manager), but Windows still says that the CD rom drivers are not signed/verified after a reboot even after daemon tools have been taken off the system, and CD-burning still doesn't work.

This is very strange as Windows shouldn't ask any questions concerning the native drivers, they've always been silently installed before, without any notice about signatures, etc.

So clearly Daemon Tools v4 has tampered with something somewhere, I just don't know how to reverse it. I also tried to delete the SPTD.sys to see wether that made a difference, which it didn't.

Help! someone, this is driving me crazy.

Comment

Forgot the Specs

By the way, I have Windows XP, service pack 2, Alcohol 120, CloneCD, CloneDVD on the system. But I tried removing them all, didn't make a difference.

Comment

Re: SERIOUS PROBLEM_ DVD and CD burning stopped working after installing V4

You should not be prompted to install unsigned drivers when you install DAEMON Tools 4. What if you try to burn a disc with Imgburn set to ASPI access mode?
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

As an emergency method - try to disable SPTD and reboot.
            This will also deactivate DT4.
            Check here how to do it:

If your CDROMs are online then please check what filter drivers are installed for CDROMs in your system
            by looking at list of drivers in Device manager for any of your real CDROMs and post it here.
            Maybe you have some filter driver that refuses to load with SPTD present.

Comment

More information on the system

Provider: Microsoft
              Driver Date: 01.07.2001
              Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0
              Digital Signer: Not Digitally Signed

Device Upper Filters: Redbook
              Device Lower Filters: IMAPI

ClassUpprFilters: InCDRM
              ClassLowerFilters: "none"

The problem occured before InCDRM was installed, I just added that when reinstalling Nero.

By the way, when making a report in Device Manager I found this:
              Class: Non-Plug and Play Drivers
              Device: SFC4
              No resources used.
              Device Drivers:
              Device: StarForce Cure Driver (version 1.x)
              No resources used.
              Device Drivers:
              Device: StarForce Protection Environment Driver (version 1.x)
              No resources used.
              Device Drivers:
              Device: StarForce Protection Helper Driver (version 2.x)
              No resources used.
              Device Drivers:
              Device: StarForce Protection Synchronization Driver (version 2.x)

Should this stuff be removed, could it conflict with Daemon/My cd-rom/dvd-drives?

Comment

>Digital Signer: Not Digitally Signed

It seems catalog files are broken on your PC as redbook.sys
                digital signature is not recognized by Windows.

You should remove StarForce Cure Driver, the rest should not cause problems.

Comment

last call

It is clear to me that Daemon Tools 4 has either tampered with the IDE Controller drivers, or the CD-rom drivers themselves. Either way, my CD/DVD-roms are not recognized correctly anymore because windows keeps on saying my Primary and Secondary IDE channel is not functioning properly because the drivers aren't intended for this platform. If I uninstall the Controller/IDE channels/CD-roms, windows just reinstalls the same shit all over again and I'm back to square one...

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me _exactly_ what DT4 does when it comes to the IDE controller and CD-rom drivers. This is a very strange problem, because if I install the original drivers for my SIS IDE adapter, windows doesn't like it and my IDE Channels start complaining...

Help! I really don't want to re-install windows for a stupid thing like this.. There must be someway to get this working again. What are the *.Inf-files for the adapter? Maybe windows somehow mixes up the files it should be using with something that daemon has installed?

Comment

Catalog files

If "Catalog-files are broken", what can I do about it? Thanks

Comment

Try to reinstall Service Pack 2 - it usually fixed the problem with catalog files in similar cases.

DT does not modify your IDE drivers in any case.

There must be surely some PNP-related problem after which
                      catalog files got broken - DT does not mess with catalog files in any way too. You can also check setupapi.log
                      file in your Windows folder to track PnP events that happend in your system before or during DT installation - maybe it will give some clue.

Comment

Reinstalled Windows

I've now re-installed windows completely from scratch, but my CD/DVD drives are still not functioning. All I can say is that they worked before installing Daemon Tools. I don't mean to suggest anything, as I don't see how it's possible for DT4 to do anything like that. If anyone else has experienced anything similiar, please let me know. Thanks for all help anyway.

Comment

Try unplugging the power and IDE cables from your drives and reconnecting them. Then boot up the computer and try again.

Comment

Hi,

It may be caused due to Starforce.. I also had this problem when i installed a SF protected game with the latest version (SF v3.6+) and all my burn jobs failed at 99%.. After i removed SF burning goes ok.. even with DT4 installed..
                            But i also read a lot of complains that SF can eventually damage some drives.. i hope for your sake that this isn't the case

Comment

You could have a frayed wire too. If you can replace an IDE cable I would attempt it. You can check one of your BIOS screens and see if you're CD drives and model numbers are listed with your hard drives and model numbers. If your drives don't show up in the BIOS that excludes a Windows/software issue.

And lastly you could check jumper settings as well (such as master/slave/cable select) and the jumper settings on any other drive attached to the same cable.

Also if you just re-installed you may need to install the Chipset/Mobo software that came with your computer (esp. if you have onboard sound/lan).
                              Last edited by Underheaven; 21.11.2005, 20:14.
                              the modern world:
                              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                              X