Ide Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ide Cable

Hi does anyone know where to find the ide cable with an switch on it to turn off the dvd drives

A Cabel with an On/Off Switch in it

First Time i hear this Question mate you saved my day
    I am your father

Comment

I know that lmgava wrote a guide in the customer forum of how to create one.
      Here is a picture of it:

Last edited by Methadon; 21.11.2005, 09:30.

Comment

OMG thats crazy
        I am your father

Comment

Here is his guide if anyone is interested.
          Originally Posted by lmgava
          1) A molex extension cable like this one:

a better pic here

totalmodding.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf totalmodding.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!

The cable I used was shorter, but it's more difficult to find. Any length will do, anyway.

2) An on off switch, a little one, like this one:

Get a new domain name for your startup. Quick and professional service. Seamless domain transfers.

3) Some electrical cable to connect the switch to the molex connector.

4) A low power soldering iron (15-30W) with solder wire.

Von Lötkolben bis hin zu modernsten Lötmaschinen – Entdecken Sie unsere breite Palette an Lötprodukten für Ihre Elektronikfertigung.

5) A small screwdriver with a flat head

How to proceed:

The molex cable is made by four distinct cable (see pictures above): two blacks in the center (the grounds), one red (+ 5V), one yellow (+ 12V). We need to cut and made "switchable" the RED one.

First of all you need to extract the red cable. To do so you need the small flat screwdriver. The two pins (male and female) of the red cable have two "little wings" each one preventing the pins to slide off from the connector. You need to push down a little the two wings, doing so you can pull the cable and the pin attached to the cable will pop-off from the connector. Repeat for the other connector, again for the red cable.

Now you should have the molex extension with only three cables (black, black, yellow) and one red cable with two copper pins in your hand.

Cut the red cable with scissors, and take the two pins only with you. Discard the red cable.

Now solder two electric cable to the two pins of the switch, two adiacent pins, the one in the middle and one of the other two.

Now solder one extremity of the cables to each one of the copper pins.

Now you have a switch with two cables, and each cable has a copper pin from the molex connectors soldered to it.

something like this

.. //
          . //
          -----
          |....|
          -----
          | | |
          " "
          " "
          " "
          " "
          " "
          I I

Now re-insert each one of the two pins in its own connector. The male with the other males, the female with the other females.

Before doing so, please raise back a little the two wings of each pins, to be sure the pin will stay in place when inserted.

See the picture for the actual result. This should help a lot.

Some notes:

- The picture is a fake :-) Initially I tried with the 12V line, but then I opted for the 5V after some tests with more than one drive. The picture you see was taken with the yellow line interrupted. So I "recolored" the red cable in yellow to match my instructions here. You simply consider you have to interrupt the red line, as the picture suggest.

- I put a couple of little plastic tubes on the two switch's pin to protect it from possible short circuits. It's a little overkill, you can skip this one if you like or use some insulating tape instead.

- I put the switch to the back of my pc, but near the top. So I can reach it easily but not for accident.

- I suggest you to flip the switch with the power off. You could doing while resetting, before the bios detection phase, but I prefer to play it safe.

(addendum - how to connect it)

It is a power cable extender. Take your normal power wire and unplug it from your CD/DVD drive and plug this extender on to it then plug it back into your CD/DVD drive.
          Or, in case you have two IDE CD/DVD drives use a Y cable adapter to connect both drives to the switch.

Have fun,

Luis

Comment

First of all, you should check if your mainboard supports this. If you unplug the power cable while the PC is running and it locks or reboots, no need to go though all the trouble in building the switch just to find out later than your PC reboots when you flip the switch...
            To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Tutorial: Bypass Deamon-Tools with only opening your pc ones!!!

Hello DT-Community,

I've been on this for weeks but finally got what i want.
              The thing is that it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to bypass Starforce on really nice games. The only POSSIBLE and WORKING thing is removing the powercable from your drives.

I was looking and trying a bit and came to the following:

What do you need?

What do you need to do?
              1. Open up the pc till you can see and reach the drives.
              2. Only remove the power cables from your drives.
              3. Get the second power supply and plugin the power cables in the drives.
              4. If possible, make an opening in the back of the pc to let the second power supply outside and only the cables in (I did this by removing a cover of a PCI slot).
              5. Close the pc.
              6. Put in all power cables (and all the others you unplugged).
              7. Boot the pc in the normal way.
              8. TEST: To check if your second power suply works, turn it on while the pc is booting. If the lights of the drives light up it's ok, if not, perhaps somethnig is wrong then.
              9. Well that's it for the technical part. It doesn't matter if you trun on the second power supply to late casue here's the next you need todo,
              10. If yuor drives weren't started, open up Starforce Nightmare and select the options where your drivesare located. (My drives are in Secondairy Master and Slave, so i need the option Sc. Ms.Sl. On)
              11. If they're loaded, but you need to shutthem down, don't just press the power off button. Open up Starforce Nightmare and select the option to power of the drive (I need to do Sc. Ms.Sl. Off). After that you can safely turn of the power supply, this is needed, else Starforce still will detect the drives.
              12. If yuo accidently turned them off without using Starforce Nightmare first, turn it on again quickly, cause yuo will notice yuor pc will act strange and probably can blow up himself.
              13. This is it! Have fun. I sort wayof saying, you turn them on and off with Starforce Nightmare... and the power supply finishes the job Good luck

That's it, i will soon post some pics of my work. See you then

Best Regards,
              LennardF, Netherlands

Comment

[Tutorial] Bypass Starforce with a second powersupply

Hello DT-Community,

I've been on this for weeks but finally got what I want.
                The thing is that it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to bypass Starforce on really nice games. The only POSSIBLE and WORKING thing is removing the powercable from your optic drives.

I was looking and trying a bit and came to the following:

What do you need?
                • - A OLD PC Power Supply (Where the bootbutton is on)
                • - Starforce Nightmare (see http://starf.bestmedia.kiev.ua/)
                • - A handy person (probably yourself)
                • - Some opening in the PC where the powersupply cables can go through (like an empty PCI-Bus)

What do you need to do?
                1. Power off the PC and remove ALL cables.
                2. Open up the pc till you can see and reach the optic drives.
                3. Only unplug the power cables from your optical drives.
                4. Get the second power supply and plugin those power cables in the drives.
                5. Lead out the cables through the opening in the PC.
                6. Close the pc.
                7. Put in all power cables again.

OK, that's done, now we're going too check if your powersupply works.
                1. Turn the second powersupply on, and then boot the pc in the normal way.
                2. Once you turn on the PC, the drives will make a spin sound (or maybe light up the think light), which means everything is ok. If not, you've probably have to recheck to power cables (before doing, check if the drives can open, if so, then the problem lies with the PC itself).

That was the TESTFase, now up to the real work.
                If you followed the above tutorial, the drives are activated now. The drives can be in 2 states:
                - Enabled (with boot).
                - Disabled (with boot).

Case 1:
                When your drives are enabeld on boot, but you need to deactivate them for a game, you can't just turn off the second power switch!!! First, startup Starforce Nightmare, click the options which your drives are located.
                If your optical drives are located at secondairy master and slave, press the "Sc. Mas-Sl off" button.
                You need to wait till Starforce Nightmare powered off the drives, then you can safely turn of the second power switch.
                Don't forget this routine, you will notice that when you forget this, your harddrive will spin and stop, spin and stop, and that the mouse will lag.
                Now Start up a Starforce Game and let's play.

Case 2:
                When you're ready playing or forget to turn on the switch when booting, you first turn on the power.
                This wont have any affect on the system, you will see that Windows let's them spin.
                Now start Starforce Nightmare and click the options which your drives are located.
                Only this time, press the "YourDrives On" Button.

That's it! That's the tutorial and a nice and clean way to bypass Starforce. See below for some pics of my PC.

My PC:
                http://a4a.brcollege.nl/LennardFonteijn/Images/pc.jpg

The Switch:
                http://a4a.brcollege.nl/LennardFonte...ges/switch.jpg

Second Powersupply:
                http://a4a.brcollege.nl/LennardFonte...owersupply.jpg

Cables out of PC:
                http://a4a.brcollege.nl/LennardFonte.../pw-cables.jpg

Best Regards,
                LennardF, Netherlands

Comment

This is similar to the last one you posted. You can use the edit post button if you wish to replace your last tutorial.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

power cables and ribbons

i know that i ahve to to unplg my dvd drives and dvd recorder in my case
                    but i have one qustion;;

do i have to change my hDD (ide) amd to put him in one card scsi;;

can you help me please;;
                    starforge checks and ide channels;;;

in this case what i do;;
                    f i will unplug the ribbbon will can i play the games which protects
                    with starforce;;;
                    and go in the mamager and set off the drives cd and dvds
                    will can i play the games which protects
                    with starforce;;;

or i need to move them from IDE to a SCSI or S-ATA controller.

f i will unplug the ribbbon will can i play the games which protects
                    with starforce;;;
                    and go in the mamager and set off the drives cd and dvds

so i dont need nighrmare starforge
                    and

and i don t need eed to move them from IDE to a SCSI or S-ATA controller.

can you help me please;;
                    my motherborad is not reforce

so

the best solotion
                    is to unblug them, plhisicaly;;;
                    am i corect''':;
                    so in my case i dont need starforge or viusual drive
                    becuase my motherborad is not nforce

do i ahve wrihgt;;;;

when i will open my case
                    i will unplug the ribon from motherboard which is down;;;;
                    can i do one another questiom
                    when i will open my computer
                    i will do unplug only the riibon which is down the motherbaoed which conects the dvd drives and dvd rom drives;is not nessasery to unplug the ribbbon from up side which are the dvds and dvd rom;;;

when i will unplug the riibon and do restart can i put the case of my computer;;;
                    beofore or later;;;

then i have to go in the devise manager for

to unistall the drives
                    but how can i later after 2 weeks if want to use my dvds and cd s
                    to install them again;;;
                    how do i need any cd to install them later because exple ( ALREADY NOW
                    I WENT AND I DID UNINSTALL THEM HOW CAN I DO ISTALL THEM:;;
                    when i will be in decision to to put the riibon again which connects
                    the dvds and cds first i put the riibon and then i do install the drives;;;
                    soory for all this questions sooory but you must understand me
                    i am leraning things tthat i didnt know before in past!!!!!!!!!

WHEN I WILL DECIDE TO DO UNPLUG PHISICALY BEFORE I DO

THE COMPUTER MUST BE CLOSED;;;
                    AND EVERYTHING IS BACK IN THE CASE TO TAKE OFF FOR TO OPEN MY CPU;;;;
                    do i have to unplugging and the power cable; with the ribbon ;;;;
                    together;;;;
                    do ihave to;;;

Comment

You will need to turn off your PC, remove the cover & pull out the power cable to your CD/DVD drives.

What I & many others have done is to put a switch on the power cable so the power can be turned off to the CD/DVD drives without having to pull the cover off, you just turn the PC off & flick the switch when you want to play a starforce game, flick the switch back again when you want to use your drives

There is a tutorial here somewhere ... if you do a search you shouldn't have too much trouble locating it

(EDIT) Tutorials are here:

Comment

you have just to unplug the power for your CD/DVD- Drives
                        the power cables are the red,black and yellow cables

then you have to start your computer and mount the game image in dt 4 AND play

Comment

you told me that i have to
                          do off the cables
                          which are 3

red
                          black
                          and
                          yellow

this are the cables;;
                          are there more
                          and the ribbon;;;;
                          the cables i do off from up the dvd drives;;
                          or down;;

and the ribbon
                          do i have to swich off from
                          down the motherborad;;

but
                          i dont understand
                          for this
                          to put a switch on the power cable so the power can be turned off to the CD/DVD************

what you mean
                          i dont know how to do this

if will take off only the 3 cables
                          red black and yellow;;
                          can i play the starforge gamesl;;;;
                          can you help me ple;ase;;

can you send me one photo please;l;
                          with this m 3 cables;;;
                          and the ribbon
                          do i have to take off;;
                          how it looks like the power cable
                          what color has;;
                          pleasell;;;;;;;

Comment

bj24 I moved your post here and there's even a photo to look at thanks to lmgava.
                            the modern world:
                            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

unplug power cable for ide cd-roms

you told me that i have
                              to off the cables

green black and yellow
                              from id drives dvd

but i dont undesstand something
                              if i will take them off
                              the cables

only this