Windows ME support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows ME support?

Why does D-Tools 4 not support Windows 95/98/ME?
    (What the heck is up with the name? DAEMON TOOLS? Is this some kind of Satanic cult? Jesus is Lord!

There is no 9x/ME support because these obsolete OS would require a completely different driver.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

DT 4 does not support WinME (or Win9x), but I believe that DT 3.47, which is still available, does.

Comment

Hi
        Daemon is nothing Satanic... Ok it might be to some copy protection developers....

Have a look at Wikipedia:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_...er_software%29

It's a nice description of what a daemon is, regarding software.

Comment

Originally Posted by muffinhoo
          (What the heck is up with the name? DAEMON TOOLS? Is this some kind of Satanic cult? Jesus is Lord!
          Yes, this is a satanic cult and you're next to be sacrificed. For crying out loud, it's just a name. And it's not even "Demon" like you're making it out, it's "Daemon" (pronounced: Day-mun). Reminds me of a woman several years back when I worked for CompUSA. She refused to let her son buy a 3DFX Voodoo3 because of the name alone. People need to grow a thicker skin and lighten up.

(For the record, I am a Christian)

Comment

no, that would be if it was named Demon Tools, but it is not,

I think it is pronounced a bit different, such as Day'Mon Tools.
            No, you cannot have my signature, unless you pay me. I am famous you know.

Comment

Guys! Get a clue! Here's a little help! Daemon - Latin 1 A. an evil spirit B. a source or agent of evil, harm, distress, or ruin 2 an attendant power or spirit 3 A supernatural being of Greek mythologyntermediate between gods and men

Did anyone here ever take Latin? Or go to school for that matter? What the Heck?

Comment

From Dictionary.com

1. Chiefly British. Variant of demon.
                2. Variant of daimon.
                3. Computer Science. A program or process that sits idly in the background until it is invoked to perform its task
                In this case, Daemon is used in reference to number 3, the section in bold.

Comment

OK, we're getting off the original topic. Windows ME may be "obsolete", but in my case it is more stable, more efficient, faster, and less expensive than Windows XP. I don't get these *****s about "Malfunction Edition", etc. I totally hate XP and ME is the last good operating system that Microsoft has made (No activation required!).

Comment

OK, we're getting off the original topic. Windows ME may be "obsolete", but in my case it is more stable, more efficient, faster, and less expensive than Windows XP. I don't get these *****s about "Malfunction Edition", etc. I totally hate XP and ME is the last good operating system that Microsoft has made (No activation required!).
                    Then I guess you have a weird PC. For most people, Windows ME is the most unstable OS ever made.

Comment

Get Windows 2000 then.
                      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Come on! UNIX Daemon Process!

"Pronounced DEE-mun or DAY-mun. A process that runs in the background and performs a specified operation at predefined times or in response to certain events. The term daemon is a UNIX term, though many other operating systems provide support for daemons, though they're sometimes called other names. Windows, for example, refers to daemons as System Agents and services.

Typical daemon processes include print spoolers, e-mail handlers, and other programs that perform administrative tasks for the operating system. The term comes from Greek mythology, where daemons were guardian spirits. "

Comment

Okay, well my PC was designed for Windows 95 (Now there's obsolete for you!), and so it is very compatible with all later OS's. (Oh, and those *****'s in my previous post were nothing offensive! Just an alternative word for 'joke' which can also mean a type of illegal drug!)

Comment

Have you even tried XP, or are you just scared off by the whole activation deal? I have used most every Microsoft OS around starting with DOS 6.22 and going through Windows 3.11, 95a/c, 98/SE, ME, 2000 and XP, and I can guarantee that ME is not more stable than XP. The fact that I work on machines for a living and have to deal with all sorts of issues just drives home that point (all the problems I've seen with ME over XP). No, XP is not a perfect OS, but it is far better than anything MS has made before. And XP x64 (which I'm running now) improves on that even more. Keep in mind that I don't use Luna (the default GUI of Windows XP), I change the GUI style back to the Windows 2000 look. Interface aside, I much prefer XP to any other version out there.

Having said all that, the reasoning behind dropping support for 98/ME is that the 9x kernel is no longer supported in any way, shape or form by Microsoft. The NT kernel (2000/XP) is far more stable and is the only kernel that MS still supports (unless you count the x64 version as a seperate kernel, but that's another debate for another time). It only makes sense to move on and drop support for the older kernels.
                            Last edited by Jito463; 03.01.2006, 13:31.

Comment

muffinhoo, Windows ME was a total POS, even MS know this now, you aint doing anyone a favour if you even dare to go on the WWW with that 9x's crapinstead of XP-SP2, the fact you claim its more stable than XP makes me think you dont know much about pc's, the DT staff have stated this OS is dead and wont be supported, get over it and get a semi modern pc (2nd hand if need be if you cant afford) and install XP-SP2.

You hardware is for Win95, so you dont even have usb sockets, gee, what do you need DT for on a old rig like that, your not gonna play many games anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                              X