This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about SATA?

How does SATA play into this? Do the copt protections not consider it an IDE optical drive and therefore not check for SCSI drives, or is it still in fact considered IDE?

Comment

Depends on the controller they're plugged into. If the controller shows drives through the BIOS, then Windows picks them up natively and treats them like IDE drives. If they're connected to an external storage controller that doesn't integrate with the BIOS, then they're seen as SCSI drives by Windows.

Comment

Originally Posted by Wiggles2 View Post
        How does SATA play into this? Do the copt protections not consider it an IDE optical drive and therefore not check for SCSI drives, or is it still in fact considered IDE?
        Perhaps a current example as I just checked it at home mit a Samsumg SH-183A SATA and a P965 Motherboard:

If the SATA-Drive is plugged into the SATA-Ports directly provided by the Chipset, it is considered as IDE-Drive.
        However, if the SATA-Drive is pluged into the SATA-port provided by the onBoard JMicron-Controller (almost every P965-Board has such one), it is considered as SCSI-Drive.

As on P965-Boards, also IDE-Ports are provided by JMicron (no native support via Chipset), it is quite easy to have such a system using only SCSI-Drives...

Comment

Thanks for explaination!
          when I am playing games with SF 3.X, I will use starfuck to kill my phisical CD-ROM.

Comment

Thank you also for this explanation. I've been looking for answers that is similar situation/problem like these.

Comment

Working...
            X